Public University Bans Pledge Of Allegiance Citing It's 'Oppresive And Discriminatory'

From Grand Valley State University's own web-page:

A strong liberal education serves as the foundation for Grand Valley State University's wide array of undergraduate and graduate programs, fostering critical thinking, creative problem solving, and cultural understanding.

Grand Valley's liberal education focus prepares students for life in a fast-changing world. It fosters a commitment to economic, social, and environmental sustainability and an inclusive campus that values diversity. Through this forward-thinking education, students are empowered to positively affect the global community now and in the future.

Grand Valley State University values all identities, perspectives, and backgrounds and is dedicated to incorporating multiple voices and experiences into every aspect of its operations. We believe that diversity competencies are an intellectual asset and that a range of thoughtful perspectives and a commitment to open inquiry strengthens our liberal education tradition. We recognize that the long-term viability of the institution depends upon anticipating and meeting the needs of emerging constituent groups, especially our changing student body. Therefore, the institution seeks to include, engage, and support diverse groups of students, faculty and staff members, as well as community members. Grand Valley is committed to strengthening our living, learning, and working environment by recognizing and removing the barriers to full participation and providing a safe, inclusive, vibrant community for all.

Strategic Plan for Grand Valley State University - Grand Valley State University
https://www.gvsu.edu/strategicplan-view.htm?entityId=0001&entityType=university#mission

Who the hell writes that Marxist BS? :laughing0301:

A strong liberal education serves as the foundation for Grand Valley State University's wide array of undergraduate and graduate programs, fostering critical thinking, creative problem solving, and cultural understanding.

Grand Valley's liberal education focus prepares students for life in a fast-changing world. It fosters a commitment to economic, social, and environmental sustainability and an inclusive campus that values diversity. Through this forward-thinking education, students are empowered to positively affect the global community now and in the future.

Grand Valley State University values all identities, perspectives, and backgrounds and is dedicated to incorporating multiple voices and experiences into every aspect of its operations. We believe that diversity competencies are an intellectual asset and that a range of thoughtful perspectives and a commitment to open inquiry strengthens our liberal education tradition. We recognize that the long-term viability of the institution depends upon anticipating and meeting the needs of emerging constituent groups, especially our changing student body. Therefore, the institution seeks to include, engage, and support diverse groups of students, faculty and staff members, as well as community members. Grand Valley is committed to strengthening our living, learning, and working environment by recognizing and removing the barriers to full participation and providing a safe, inclusive, vibrant community for all.

Strategic Plan for Grand Valley State University - Grand Valley State University

Time to pull their Federal Funding if they receive any

Those students and faculty there would be the first to join sides with Russia or China if they were to invade us.

Get some students to recite the pledge. If the University has the courage to actually punish them for this, then they have standing in the courts in a First Amendment violation.

All I'm gonna say is that I'm shaking my head thinking what in the hell has the world come to.

Grand Valley State University Kills Pledge of Allegiance Tradition | Breitbart

Maybe it's a religious thing?

>> "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image" is an abbreviated form of one of the Ten Commandments which, according to the Book of Deuteronomy, were spoken by God to the Israelites and then written on stone tablets by the Finger of God.[1]

Although no single biblical passage contains a complete definition of idolatry, the subject is addressed in numerous passages, so that idolatry may be summarized as the worship of idols or images; the worship of polytheistic gods by use of idols or images; the worship of created things (trees, rocks, animals, astronomical bodies, or another human being); and the use of idols in the worship of God (YHWH Elohim, the God of Israel).[2] In the New Testament covetousness (greed) is defined as idolatry.[3] When the commandment was given, opportunities to participate in the honor or worship of idols abounded, and the religions of Canaanite tribes neighboring the Israelites often centered on a carefully constructed and maintained cult idol.[4] However, according to the book of Deuteronomy the Israelites were strictly warned to neither adopt nor adapt any of the religious practices of the peoples around them.[5] << -- Wiki​

All I'm gonna say is that I'm shaking my head thinking what in the hell has the world come to.

>> "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image" is an abbreviated form of one of the Ten Commandments which, according to the Book of Deuteronomy, were spoken by God to the Israelites and then written on stone tablets by the Finger of God.[1]

Although no single biblical passage contains a complete definition of idolatry, the subject is addressed in numerous passages, so that idolatry may be summarized as the worship of idols or images; the worship of polytheistic gods by use of idols or images; the worship of created things (trees, rocks, animals, astronomical bodies, or another human being); and the use of idols in the worship of God (YHWH Elohim, the God of Israel).[2] In the New Testament covetousness (greed) is defined as idolatry.[3] When the commandment was given, opportunities to participate in the honor or worship of idols abounded, and the religions of Canaanite tribes neighboring the Israelites often centered on a carefully constructed and maintained cult idol.[4] However, according to the book of Deuteronomy the Israelites were strictly warned to neither adopt nor adapt any of the religious practices of the peoples around them.[5] << -- Wiki​
Oh goody! Another Bible lesson from a God hater!

Maybe you should learn to read so you can navigate, you know, YOUR OWN LINKS.

If and when you ever do that you'll figure out that the university "banned" nothing. The students in the Student Goverment voted to ditch it within THEIR OWN MEETINGS. Not the fucking university. Lying HACK.

YOUR OWN LINK, fuckhead.

Get some students to recite the pledge. If the University has the courage to actually punish them for this, then they have standing in the courts in a First Amendment violation.
It was an initiative by the 'Student Government" to stop saying the Pledge at their meetings.
The university had no input, nor has it banned the Pledge.

It was an initiative by the 'Student Government" to stop saying the Pledge at their meetings.
Good. Now the question becomes, what are the rules for the Student Government.

Presumably that they can choose how to run their own meetings.
Freedom of expression...it's inconvenient eh?

Something tells me that the Bible would be the last book a bunch of budding Marxists would want to read while they're being indoctrinated into "liberal education cultural understanding economic, social, and environmental sustainability inclusive values diversity forward-thinking empowered global community all identities diversity liberal education emerging constituent groups include, engage, and support diverse groups removing the barriers safe, inclusive, vibrant community for all..."

They sound more like a bunch of prospective heathen godless atheist Marxists to me. But you know what they say: "Religion is the last refuge of scoundrels."

They might actually pull it off and convince someone.

Non issue. If it doesn't directly affect my family it's nothing for me to get upset about. My grandkids say the pledge every day here....they don't really consider its meaning. They numbly recite it every day though. Not my job to discuss it with them.

• Thanks
Reactions: idb

We don't know but perhaps one of them could be "don't post fucking bullshit that's easily debunked by the text of your own link, shitforbrains".

Okay maybe not in that exact language.

Maybe you should learn to read so you can navigate, you know, YOUR OWN LINKS.

If and when you ever do that you'll figure out that the university "banned" nothing. The students in the Student Goverment voted to ditch it within THEIR OWN MEETINGS. Not the fucking university. Lying HACK.

YOUR OWN LINK, fuckhead.

I already pointed out the university's Marxist orientation, fuckhead. Those culturally-ignorant students are no better than the school they're going to, and they'll be worse off after graduating.

Now tell me again how there's no "liberal agenda" in the universities.

Presumably that they can choose how to run their own meetings.
Freedom of expression...it's inconvenient eh?
Not at all. That is why I asked.

If that is the case, then the solution is obvious. Gain a majority in the Student Government and change it.

We don't know but perhaps one of them could be "don't post fucking bullshit that's easily debunked by the text of your own link, shitforbrains".

Okay maybe not in that exact language.
Still reeling I see.

Forum List

Back