public unions

ktarra

Rookie
Apr 5, 2011
What I don't understand is how anyone in a public union thinks they have the right to hold us the tax payer hostage???? We can't afford to take care of them and ourselves!!!! I understand they were made promises by politicians who are no longer there, but they have to understand that there is NO MORE MONEY!!!!!! We in the private sector have had to slash our expenses and cut a whole lot of stuff that we WANT so we can afford what we NEED!!!!!!

Its called a budget and being responsible. I'm sorry that at 60 years old they may have to get a part time job to make up the income so they can keep their health insurance but you know what my husband and I are looking at the very real reality that we may NEVER be able to retire if we don't seriously cut into our lifestyle now to save for the future.

Suck it up folks....Shame on the unions for trying to bully the businesses in Wisconsin to support the unions! If I lived in Wisconsin I would purposely support any business that refused to support the unions!

Union had their time and place! Now they just need to go away! All the unions are there for is to create wealth and power for the union bosses. They don't give a rats ass about the workers! They are as corrupt as the politicians!!!!

Ktarra, welcome to this board. We need clear thinking individuals like you here. You have nailed this issue dead center. Outstanding Post.

What I don't understand is how anyone in a public union thinks they have the right to hold us the tax payer hostage???? We can't afford to take care of them and ourselves!!!! I understand they were made promises by politicians who are no longer there, but they have to understand that there is NO MORE MONEY!!!!!! We in the private sector have had to slash our expenses and cut a whole lot of stuff that we WANT so we can afford what we NEED!!!!!!

Its called a budget and being responsible. I'm sorry that at 60 years old they may have to get a part time job to make up the income so they can keep their health insurance but you know what my husband and I are looking at the very real reality that we may NEVER be able to retire if we don't seriously cut into our lifestyle now to save for the future.

Suck it up folks....Shame on the unions for trying to bully the businesses in Wisconsin to support the unions! If I lived in Wisconsin I would purposely support any business that refused to support the unions!

Union had their time and place! Now they just need to go away! All the unions are there for is to create wealth and power for the union bosses. They don't give a rats ass about the workers! They are as corrupt as the politicians!!!!

Welcome to the board.
Always nice to see new folks, especially when they write so well.

1. I suggest, though, that you consult your copy of the United States Constitution...you won't have to read far to find that the first amendment

"...prohibits the making of any law ...interfering with the right to peaceably assemble..."

That covers unions.

These are our fellow citizens who have concerns in common.

2. "...thinks they have the right to hold us the tax payer hostage????"
You are incorrect....in most cases they have no right to strike, as President Coolidge pointed out.

3. "...they were made promises by politicians who are no longer there,..."
Bingo!

4. Since I agree with the underlining premise of your OP, I would suggest we have some sort of law which allows us to go back and sue said pols, or their estates for indemnity.

They might carry insurance for the purpose of protecting themselves.

Thanks for the welcome!

I do appreciate it. It appears I need to research this issue some more. I'm just very passionate about this issue. While the premise of unions may be constitutional, the idea of public unions are an anathema. Public unions are paid for by us the taxpayers. The union bosses don't deal directly with the public paying the bills. They deal with the elected officials that THEY helped get elected with their large contributions of union dues from members who receive their salaries from tax dollars. So in effect my tax dollars are going to support candidates and issues I don't support.

I'm sure none of this is news to you all. I've just reached my limit with listening to the union members cry and whine about how they can't afford this or that if they have to put 7% of their pay to their insurance. How would they like to pay 12% of their yearly income for insurance and try raising three kids after that????

We are raising our kids to be responsible and to provide for themselves. I'm sick of others expecting us to pay for them to sit on our their rears just because they are a union member.

I wonder if everyone who complains about unions and their political influence support campaign finance reform? Money in politics is killing the poor and middle class in the U.S.

Thanks for the welcome!

I do appreciate it. It appears I need to research this issue some more. I'm just very passionate about this issue. While the premise of unions may be constitutional, the idea of public unions are an anathema. Public unions are paid for by us the taxpayers. The union bosses don't deal directly with the public paying the bills. They deal with the elected officials that THEY helped get elected with their large contributions of union dues from members who receive their salaries from tax dollars. So in effect my tax dollars are going to support candidates and issues I don't support.

I'm sure none of this is news to you all. I've just reached my limit with listening to the union members cry and whine about how they can't afford this or that if they have to put 7% of their pay to their insurance. How would they like to pay 12% of their yearly income for insurance and try raising three kids after that????

We are raising our kids to be responsible and to provide for themselves. I'm sick of others expecting us to pay for them to sit on our their rears just because they are a union member.

1. "Public unions are paid for by us the taxpayers."

Ktarra, they are just like any other workers, paid for their services.

I understand your anger, but I believe it is misplaced.

2. "...they can't afford this or that if they have to put 7% of their pay to their insurance."

If the reference here is to the Wisconsin teachers, they agreed to the deductions almost imediately.

3. I believe that anger toward teachers is due to how poorly the eductional system is doing...
if our American kids were preforming better than any other nations' children, I suggest this conversation would be moot.
Or, directed at another public union.

4. "How would they like to pay 12% of their yearly income for insurance and try raising three kids after that????"
Wow.
I understand how you must feel.

At the risk of sounding saccharine, things will get better.

I look forward to further posts.

Welcome to the board K.

I'm not a big Union fan and never have been.

Glad to have you on board.

Should we have public unions? And what party do you associate with republicans or democrats

Woodrow Wilson, the 1st of truly progressive presidents, let unions get their feet in the door of government employees.
Yet, FDR, not exactly a conservative, strongly warned of the serious danger of public employee unions.
The greatest savior of the American taxpayers, was the SCOTUS decision that mandatory union dues was unconstitutional. The unions are being decimated as members flee in massive numbers.

I suggest, though, that you consult your copy of the United States Constitution...you won't have to read far to find that the first amendment

"...prohibits the making of any law ...interfering with the right to peaceably assemble..."

That covers unions.

These are our fellow citizens who have concerns in common.

The issue is not whether public employees can join a union; it is whether these unions should be authorized to contravene civil service laws which were put in place to give them a protected status in the first place. No legitimate bargaining occurs with the precondition of guaranteed employment, not to mention the ability to bribe (with campaign contributions) those who they are bargaining with.

Forum List

Back