Public sector v. private sector jobs

Wry Catcher

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
The GOP clamors for job growth even as they clamor for smaller government. Since Jan. 2010 private sector jobs have been on the increase and public sector jobs have been eliminated. The elimination of public sector jobs has an impact on the growth of private sector jobs, as any job loss slows the economy.

Since women are 50% more likely to work in the public sector, one more lie is exposed. The loss of jobs by women has everything to do with the GOP's war on unions and the public sector, not the policies of President Obama. See for lots of detail:

Public Versus Private Sector Job Gains - US News and World Report

Last edited:
Since women are 50% more likely to work in the public sector, one more lie is exposed. The loss of jobs by women has everything to do with the GOP's war on unions and the public sector, not the policies of President Obama. See for lots of detail:

The Obama Jobs Bill Hoax

by Dom Armentano

President Obama's highly touted $300 billion "jobs" bill is a non-starter. It is unlikely to get through the Republican House of Representatives and even if it did, it would not create viable private sector jobs. After three years of sluggish economic growth and meager private sector jobs growth, politicians in Washington D.C. still insist on playing smoke and mirrors with the American people.

Can government spending create jobs?

Governments can certainly create jobs in the public sector; they do it all the time and Obama's bill will do more of it. Governments can hire school teachers, social workers, and millions of other bureaucrats to administer its thousands of programs and regulations. Importantly, however, the funds for these jobs must be provided by either taxation or by borrowing from the private sector. Thus as almost all economists recognize, public sector employment comes (in some real sense) at the expense of opportunities for private sector employment.

Last edited:
The GOP clamors for job growth even as they clamor for smaller government. Since Jan. 2010 private sector jobs have been on the increase and public sector jobs have been eliminated. The elimination of public sector jobs has an impact on the growth of private sector jobs, as any job loss slows the economy.

I hate to say I told you so, Wry...but right from the start I was pointing out that stimulus spending to prop up government jobs while ignoring the private sector would fail in the long run BECAUSE it's revenue from the private sector that ultimately has to pay for government. Barry's stimulus was fatally flawed from the get go.

So now you're back saying that the GOP is waging war on women because more women work in government? That's rather amusing. The people that screwed this up were Larry Summers, Christina Romer, Barack Obama, Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi...not the GOP. That little group of progressives blew a trillion dollars of borrowed money on a stimulus that didn't work. THAT is the reason that women are getting laid off from their government jobs!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hveAl1M3RIM]AFT President discusses teacher unions with Bill Maher - YouTube[/ame]

Uhhh.... More jobs have been lost every year Obama has been in office by like 3x that of than have been created in the privet sector. Secondly, did you really just try and claim its Governments role to hire chicks as some form of welfare for women?

European news reports on bad US jobs report:

The percentage of Americans working or looking for work has fallen to its lowest level in more than 30 years, according to gloomy economic figures that are a major blow to President Barack Obama’s hopes of re-election.

This stark ‘participation’ figure of the proportion of Americans in work will underline the sense of continued crisis at a time when the views of voters on the economy are crystallising.

Although the April unemployment rate dropped to 8.1 per cent, this was mainly due to discouraged workers giving up hope and leaving the labour force.

Read more:

It's like the great depression all over again... Just spend spend spend and float that economy until something happens... That's faith based economics for you.

If we were smart, we would begin a process of taking the government jobs and converting them to private sector over the next 10-20 years. Why does the mail have to be done by the government? I think we could privatize the DMV as well.

The trick is to make the penalties for malfeasance so severe that it doesn't take place. By severe, I mean jail time for the operators who commit it, the supervisors who didn't stop it and loss of the contract to haul the mail or run the DMV by the company who violated the public trust. I firmly believe that there isn't as much waste in dplicate personnel as the conservatives believe and nothing would solidify my theory more than having a company like Federal Express run the mail service for a few years and see how much fun it is delivering every day to every address for pennies.

Price controls would also have to be put in place of course.

However the scorched earth policy many localities have taken to reducing the government nose count has hurt the economy and has made services worst. It will continue for some time now. Just another thing we've screwed up by electing a President of one party and a Congress controlled by another.

We get the government we deserve.

Women are 50% more likely to work in the public sector? Do you have actual facts to back that statistic up, or did you make it up just to facilitate your war on women crap?

Tell me something, how does eliminating an unnecessary position in the government, thus reducing spending and the need for higher taxes, slow the economy? Even if this imaginary woman never found a job in the private sector there would be a net gain in productivity as a result of eliminating the position.

Has nothing to with the gop and everything to do with funds that we don't have. This isn't difficult to comprehend.

We have funds; the problems is a failed ideology. For those who actually think about our problems it isn't diffult to understand.

And, btw, you didn't read the link before passing judgment. I did, and then I offered my opinion, countered the phony argument by the right wingers on this message board that Obama has caused the higher unemployment of women and Romney's constant lie that Obama has made our economy worse.

Women are 50% more likely to work in the public sector? Do you have actual facts to back that statistic up, or did you make it up just to facilitate your war on women crap?

Tell me something, how does eliminating an unnecessary position in the government, thus reducing spending and the need for higher taxes, slow the economy? Even if this imaginary woman never found a job in the private sector there would be a net gain in productivity as a result of eliminating the position.

From his own supposition, in essence, a war on women by the government which O is currently presiding over. Its definitely a quandary that he has to work out.

Has nothing to with the gop and everything to do with funds that we don't have. This isn't difficult to comprehend.

We have funds; the problems is a failed ideology. For those who actually think about our problems it isn't diffult to understand.

And, btw, you didn't read the link before passing judgment. I did, and then I offered my opinion, countered the phony argument by the right wingers on this message board that Obama has caused the higher unemployment of women and Romney's constant lie that Obama has made our economy worse.

What failed ideology? You mean cutting spending, lowering taxes and shrinking overall Government like Harding did that ended the depression of 1919 ? Or the idea of spending more than you have on everything you can think of while over regulating and raising taxes like FDR did? FDR who's whole time of President of 12 years was dominated by the Great depression VS Harding’s amazing booming economy WHILE he was President not years after like in FDR’s case, when someone cut the spending and cut taxes.

Did I miss something? Where are the funds? As far as segregating groups, I can't do that.

Read the link!

Sadly your bias colors your willingness to read the link and then think.

Unemployment in the public sector has caused the layoff of first responders, police officers, fire fighters and EMT's, probation & parole officers, animal control officers and building inspectors, etc, as well as clerical positions (which means the primary duties of these men and women are not being done as they are performing the work formerly done by a clerk.COLOR]

When someone loses a job they do not earn money. When they do not earn money they do not spend money and this slows the economy. And, btw, who are you to judge which jobs are necessary and which are not? To do so you would need to look at each job individually and evaluate its cost-benefit. I know it's hard work, but stop parroting the usual bullshit and think. I know your not dumb, stop acting as if you are.

What failed ideology? You mean cutting spending, lowering taxes and shrinking overall Government like Harding did that ended the depression of 1919 ? Or the idea of spending more than you have on everything you can think of while over regulating and raising taxes like FDR did? FDR who's whole time of President of 12 years was dominated by the Great depression VS Harding’s amazing booming economy WHILE he was President not years after like in FDR’s case, when someone cut the spending and cut taxes.

The failed ideology as posted by Contumacious (#3) and Old Style (#12) + the idea that taxes are the root of all evil and the private sector is always more efficient than the public sector. The failed argument that cutting taxes to the rich will provide more jobs - if true the Bush Tax Cuts would plus the War in Iraq would have created a robust economy. As in cutting regulations will stimulate the economy where we learned too little regulation allowed predatory practices to be commonplace and the housing industry to nearly bring us back to the economy Hoover left as his legacy and FDR battled for a decade.

As in your post, where you post facts (which like statistics) do not offer an honest picture of what went before. The link in the OP explains the numbers; you may not like the answer but taken together they are convincing.

Has nothing to do with the gop and everything to do with funds that we don't have. This isn't difficult to comprehend.

S'funny we seem to have funds for the Joint Strike Fighter, Missile Defense, The Israeli Military, over 700 bases world wide, 1,458,697 enlisted members of the US military, another 857,261 in reserve, thousands of nukes and silos..

But we are broke when it comes to helping civilians.

That's some weird math.

Forum List

Back