Public schools breed mental instability

With all of the resources available online, schools are becoming increasingly irrelevant. Smart parents will home school, and do a FAR better job. Look at the test scores of home schooled kids - they are WAY higher.

B-B-B-But what about social interaction? OMG!!

Girl or Boy Scouts, homeschooling co-ops, local sports clubs, activities at the YMCA or the library, local board game groups, Church groups, etc.... Public schools do not hold a monopoly on socialization. Far from it.

The only thing stopping progress are Teachers Unions. Their days are numbered.

You really should not come out in the first sentence of your post and prove yourself clueless.

If parents want to homeschool, great! More power to them, but this claim of better test scores has no basis.

Unless you test all homeschooled kids to the same level as public school kids, you can never have a valid comparison.

Self-identifying homeschooled kids do much better on the SAT and ACT, but they should. The problem is what about all of those homeschooled kids who NEVER take the SAT or ACT and there are plenty! How well would they have done?

Many public school students, including all high school juniors in my state are required to take the ACT. How well do you think Little Johnny who is already working a co-op job as a machinist, and lives at home with a single Mom who is a high school dropout, is going to try on a test that has no impact on their life whatsoever? Think he will score as well as your college bound student raised by two married adults who are college graduates?

Please promote homeschooling all you want, but just don't lie about it.

As for teacher's unions, you are again clueless. What do they have to do with homeschooling? You never say. That's a red flag for someone parroting HSLDA talking points.

Don't take this personally, because I do like you and agree with you on most issues. We simply disagree on this topic.

You are essentially parroting teachers union talking points.....lemme guess you're a teacher? Of course you are!

Ask yourself - Who will take better care of your money- you or some random stranger?

How about your home? You or some random stranger?

your car? You or a random stranger?

Of course the answer to all of these questions is YOU. Unless you are a misfit, odds are you will always take better care of the things you love than some random stranger. Duh!!

But your children? It's better if a stranger takes care of them? : C'mon! :rofl:

As for why I oppose the teachers unions- they exist for one purpose, to enrich their membership. They do not serve their students, they serve themselves. PERIOD. All Public sector unions are abhorrent and inherently wrong. Even FDR knew it.

The reason we disagree is your errors.

I am not a union member and have not been in many years. They screw the teachers when the school boards get finished.

I fully support homeschooling. My daughter-in-law homeschooled my granddaughter for 1st grade because the school was not meeting her needs. My daughter-in-law was also my all-time favorite student as I was her high school American government teacher.

What I do not support is unfounded statements like yours regarding testing. Yes, homeschool students should do better, but there is simply no definitive way to prove that. The individualized attention is invaluable and should result in much greater accomplishments. However, you have to prove that statement is true and that cannot be done.

As to unions, I don't think you understand a teacher's unions purpose. They exist to represent teachers in collective bargaining agreements with the employers and also see to the working conditions that teachers have in their employment. Of course they do not serve the students. Why should they? Do you think the Teamster's unions cares about the repair and maintenance of the trucks driven by their members? That would be ridiculous!

I also think you overestimate the influence or "power" of these unions. In most states, the school board writes up a contract and says "Sign here!" and that is the extent of the negotiation. The union's choice is to say "OK" or work without a contract. I might ask what you think happens. Strikes are illegal and the penalty is loss of your teaching certificates, which means you can no longer work in that state, nor any other that has a reciprocity agreement.

The problem with most critics of the public schools is that they have no clue as to how things really work in the schools.

Right now, I am a substitute teacher with 21 years experience. No district will hire me as a teacher because I make too much money. They can hire a 22 year-old out of college and pay them about 40% of what they would pay me, so I am basically unemployable in my own field.

Why do you have to *know how things work* in order to recognize they are FAILING? Nobody gives a shit *how things work*...the fact is, whatever they're doing doesn't work.
And for the past 50 years, arrogant, smug pieces of shit in academia and in our schools grades 1-12 have been telling parents to let THEM dictate what's important, that unless you get the stamp of fucking approval from some commie shithole school, you aren't equipped to *teach* or even to *think*.

Fuck that. Those schools should be shut down and the entrenched pigs in them should be flogged in the public square.

This ^^^^ is emoting, not reasoning.
I'll say..I educate my kids at home so they look like smartasses in class.....

in American schools there is no decent education

yes there is
The education is decent,,, now the students......

I learned and was PROFICIENT in long division ---or real numbers
right of zero on the number line-----in the fifth grade. ----which is
something like age 11. It amazes me that so many of DA KIDS
today------cannot do long division
When I joined the Army and was doing an electronics course they forced me to get a calculator. I showed them I could do any problem faster than a calculator, even on paper.. I used to be able to do it all in my head but I drained it a few years ago to put new stuff in...

in American schools there is no decent education

yes there is
The education is decent,,, now the students......

I learned and was PROFICIENT in long division ---or real numbers
right of zero on the number line-----in the fifth grade. ----which is
something like age 11. It amazes me that so many of DA KIDS
today------cannot do long division
When I joined the Army and was doing an electronics course they forced me to get a calculator. I showed them I could do any problem faster than a calculator, even on paper.. I used to be able to do it all in my head but I drained it a few years ago to put new stuff in...

my experience came about when I ACTED as a substitute teacher (it was a parochial school----so I
needed no teacher credentials)-----I tried to teach HIGH SCHOOL kids to do simple math-----
like a LONG DIVISION example on the black board. HIGH SCHOOL----15 and 16
years old. THEY WERE STUMPED and complained-------CALCULATOR-----when I was
a kid------the teacher did us a BIG FAVOR if he let us use a slide rule. It was like----YOUR BRAIN
WILL DIE IF YOU DEPEND ON A SLIDE RULE

No they are not the "worse". Apparently the school you attended was not particularly stellar because you used the word "worse" instead of "worst'"!Had you been correct, I might have agreed with you.
`
Whatever you say gramps. But I'm dealing in modern day problems and their solutions. Thanks however.

Proper grammar isn't a modern day problem? It seems that it is.
A Couch Potato Gets His Brains Peeled

Unstructured grammar leads to unstructured thought. This is by design; the rulers go out of their way to corrupt our language. Those in a position to tell us what they're ordered to tell us are ambitious imbeciles who got their positions through slavish conformity.

No they are not the "worse". Apparently the school you attended was not particularly stellar because you used the word "worse" instead of "worst'"!Had you been correct, I might have agreed with you.
`
Whatever you say gramps. But I'm dealing in modern day problems and their solutions. Thanks however.

Proper grammar isn't a modern day problem? It seems that it is.
A Couch Potato Gets His Brains Peeled

Unstructured grammar leads to unstructured thought. This is by design; the rulers go out of their way to corrupt our language. Those in a position to tell us what they're ordered to tell us are ambitious imbeciles who got their positions through slavish conformity.

It seems drugs are a modern problem.

Forum List

Back