Public optimistic about economy

So you say 54% of the Amerian people are lying about the economy?

So you say 54% of the Amerian people are lying about the economy?

LOL, so now ONE POLL says it all..

well, how about that ONE POLL where 54% of the people didn't feel the Obama should be reelected?

you agree with that one, RIGHT?:lol:

Oh my GAWD! 44% of the people SURVEYED feel that the economy is getting better? That means that 54% of those surveyed believe something else?

Well, I got news for you folks. I have friends that are in the oil and gas industry and this summer, you will be paying at least $4.25, if not more, for gasoline. Two main reasons: The Iranians threatening the Strait of Hormuz and the problems in Libya and Syria. Insurance for a tanker to go through the straits have DOUBLED in the last year. Course, Barry and his environment freaks stopping the Keystone Pipeline hasn't helped any either, thus the reason why the straits are so important. Neither has the record low exploration off our shores that Barry and his freaks have put a lid on. If you can't get what you're standing on, then you have to import it.

Also, I can tell you that prices for grain is going through the roof and are expected to get worse. Imagine how much it costs to keep a combine in the field all day! Milk prices are going to soar as well because it has to be trucked so far and so many times to get it to the store. Feed for cattle (corn) is already high (thanks to that joke Ethanol) and going higher. Ranchers (like me) will sell their stock this spring at cheaper prices so they don't have to pay for feed. Then theres a shortage of cattle for butchering. Yep, you got that right - A pound of hamburger is going to go up as well, because there will be less of it.

And what happens when inflation starts to get out of hand? The 8.3% unemployment that ignorant people think is an IMPROVEMENT will seem like the good old days. Just ask the last flaming liberal President we had (James Earl Carter) what happens. Course, when you're busy apologizing for America like Jimmy did and Barry is doing now, you're not too focused on what's happening domestically. Especially, when you have absolutely NO CLUE what you are doing.

44% of those SURVEYED think the economy is getting better? Yippee... 10% of the people APPROVE of the job that Congress is doing! I want to meet those people... Talk about idiots.

Consumer confidence rises in January

Consumer confidence was up in January according to the Nationwide consumer confidence index.

The index rose by 9 points to 47 in January, and despite this being some 30 points below average, it is a marked increase from December's reading.

Improved industry surveys for the manufacturing and service sectors last month and a sharp fall in inflation may have lifted consumers' spirits, the lender said.

why is it you refuse to accept any good news about the economy?

Honestly I am not sure what to think. The stock market really has no bearing at all on my feelings on the economy. Some Government figures are encouraging. I don't trust the Government however. The realities that are there in cost of living increases without salaries increasing just doesn't look like we are in for a long term recovery, if we are in a recovery even now.

Where I live -- and up until the crash in 2008 -- was one of the fastest growing areas in my state. Now? Two major grocery stores have closed up (one didn't even last 2 years), other major businesses have gone belly up, (new and used car places, major name gyms, mom and pop stores, restaurants, etc.), no new houses are being built, the painting contractors who come into my husbands place of employ are all saying that business is still practically non-existent (and no, it's not the typical 'it's the middle of winter' slump either), down the road about 10 min they put in a big shopping center (kind of like a 'towne' shopping center) and many of those buildings are still empty (it was built 3 years ago), we have suburban blight with all the empty store fronts . . . so where is it that things are better again?

I stand corrected . . . 3 major grocery stores within a 10 mile radius have closed up in the past several years.

Last edited:
Honestly I am not sure what to think. The stock market really has no bearing at all on my feelings on the economy. Some Government figures are encouraging. I don't trust the Government however. The realities that are there in cost of living increases without salaries increasing just doesn't look like we are in for a long term recovery, if we are in a recovery even now.

You shouldn't trust the government. That's why we have elections and not a monarchy.

The eonomy was headed for a big slow fall/fail when it became "vogue" for the outsourcing of American manufacturing. Then the big sledgehammer fell when the unregulated financial houses were allowed to act like banks and the banks were allowed to act like finnacial gamblers and the soup du jour was leveraging bets up or down by 40 plus to one. That was a disaster DESIGNED to fail. All this "new" financial structure and the unregulated growth of these fiancial institutions created entities "too lage to fail".

Not only were they too large to fail...they were too large and thier schemes too complicated to unwind and part out into what was worth saving and what garbage was so deeply imbedded that any authority could correct. The "virus" has spread thruout the globe so it is a miricle that there has been any recovery at all. The sick part is that everyone in charge has declared that no one did anything illegal. SOOoo.. the same forces that got us into this mess are still at play with no one seemingly able to call bullshit on it.

In spite of tremendous odds against it our economy has been staggering upward by the shear will of Americans just refusing to go down without a fight. It will continue to do so because we are Americans and nothing can ultimately defeat us.

Forum List

Back