Public Opinion Supports Repealing “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”

ALottaBullshit........you've never served, but you've absorbed the views of your family members who have, and you base the whole military on the views of those few.

Only trouble is, those few you know come from your family and all families generally share the same views. Additionally, you have posted your fucked up bigoted views against gays on here regularly, so we've got a general idea where they lie.

Listen you dumb bitch..........women have been serving in the military, on active duty ever since I joined in 1982. Over the 20 years that I've served, there have been women serving right along side me, even on ships. Were there rapes? None on any ship I've ever served, and the incidents that happen yearly over the whole military are few.

Might wanna check your idiot views at the door you dumb whore.

[T]he incidents [of rape] that happen yearly over the whole military are few.

Define 'few'.

Definitions

Military sexual trauma
Harassment, assault, rape and other violence.

Military sexual assault
Any unwanted physical contact of a sexual nature.

Military Rape
Unwanted vaginal, anal or oral intercourse or penetration using fingers or other objects, using force or the threat of force.

Sexual Trauma in the Armed Forces

• Number of sexual assaults reported in 2006: 2,947
  • Number of sexual assaults by service members reported in 2006: 1,167
Sexual Trauma in the Military Reserves and the National Guard
  • 27% of men have experienced military sexual trauma
  • 60% of women have experienced military sexual trauma
  • 3.5% of men have experienced military sexual assault
  • 23% of women have experienced military sexual assault
  • 11% of women have experienced rape
  • 1.2% of men have experienced rape
  • Service branch with the highest percentage of women reporting sexual trauma: Marine Corps
  • 20% of women seeking care at VA facilities have experienced sexual trauma
  • 1% of men seeking care at VA facilities have experienced sexual trauma
  • 8.3 percentage of women report lifetime PTSD related to MST
  • More than half of the incidents took place at a military work site and during duty hours
  • The majority of the offenders in these cases were military personnel
  • Factors that increase risk of sexual assault for active duty females include presence of officers who condone or allow sexual harassment and unwanted sexual attention
Fact Check: Military Sexual Trauma . NOW | PBS

http://www.sapr.mil/contents/references/2006 Annual Report.pdf

For FY07, there were 2,688 total reports of sexual assault involving Military
Service Members:
􀂃 There were 2,085 Unrestricted Reports of sexual assaults involving Military
Service Members.
- Of the 2,085 Unrestricted Reports made in FY07, 1,511 (72%) reports
of sexual assault included Military Service Member victims (1,620 total
Service Member victims involved in the 1,511 reports).
􀂃 The Military Services completed a total of 1,955 criminal investigations on
reports made during and prior to FY07. There were 759 (28%) pending
investigations that will be reported on in FY08. The following is a
breakdown of the total investigations that were referred to the commander
for action in FY07 and the status:
• 1,172 subjects were referred for commander action.
• Commanders took action on 600 (51%) subjects, which included 181
(30%) courts-martial.
• There were 572 (49%) subjects pending disposition as of September
30, 2007.
􀂃 Service Member victims made 705 Restricted Reports of sexual assault.
- Fourteen percent (102) of the victims making Restricted Reports opted
to change to Unrestricted Reports and participate in criminal
investigations, leaving 603 remaining Restricted Reports.

2007 report
, accessible through the SAPR Home Page

I if soldiers in the military can't deal with other Americans (of all sorts) in their units, then what the heck are they fighting for?
WTF are these idiots thinking?
Of course, the behavior of straight male soldiers is legendary
1....... They have no clue what they are fighting for.Exxon comes to mind. That and IsnTreal, our greatest ally.:cuckoo:
Brainwashed. Unemployable. Poor.
2. They aren't allowed to think.
3. Legendary behavior. Reminds me of a gang bang I witnessed while stationed in Korea. The girl was about 14.
Fine southern "gentlemen" defending your freeDumb.
Kool. Almost sixty years and we're still there.:cuckoo:
Idiot nation.

Hey, throw out a few more stereotypes real quick, k?

First off, none of that is why people sign up to be soldiers (with the possible exception of money problems). Whether they get taken advantage of is another story, but none of that is what soldiers enlist to defend. Secondly, Israel is strategically necessary, as are a few other allies, so that was kinda ignorant. Third, my humourously indicating that guys in the military have a reputation for sexual escapades is a far cry from equating them to child rapists.

So how do you feel about don't ask, don't tell? That's the subject at hand, just so you know.

JB, instead of using overall stats, tell me exactly how many servicemembers were raped in FY07.

Remember........unwanted sexual advances (i.e. sexual harrassment) also fall into those categories.

JB, instead of using overall stats, tell me exactly how many servicemembers were raped in FY07.

Remember........unwanted sexual advances (i.e. sexual harrassment) also fall into those categories.

[2006]
Sexual Trauma in the Military Reserves and the National Guard
  • 27% of men have experienced military sexual trauma
  • 60% of women have experienced military sexual trauma
  • 3.5% of men have experienced military sexual assault
  • 23% of women have experienced military sexual assault
  • 11% of women have experienced rape
  • 1.2% of men have experienced rape
  • Service branch with the highest percentage of women reporting sexual trauma: Marine Corps
  • 20% of women seeking care at VA facilities have experienced sexual trauma
  • 1% of men seeking care at VA facilities have experienced sexual trauma
  • 8.3 percentage of women report lifetime PTSD related to MST
  • More than half of the incidents took place at a military work site and during duty hours
  • The majority of the offenders in these cases were military personnel
  • Factors that increase risk of sexual assault for active duty females include presence of officers who condone or allow sexual harassment and unwanted sexual attention
Fact Check: Military Sexual Trauma . NOW | PBS

http://www.sapr.mil/contents/references/2006 Annual Report.pdf

For FY07, there were 2,688 total reports of sexual assault involving Military
Service Members:
􀂃 There were 2,085 Unrestricted Reports of sexual assaults involving Military
Service Members.
- Of the 2,085 Unrestricted Reports made in FY07, 1,511 (72%) reports
of sexual assault included Military Service Member victims (1,620 total
Service Member victims involved in the 1,511 reports
).
􀂃 The Military Services completed a total of 1,955 criminal investigations on
reports made during and prior to FY07. There were 759 (28%) pending
investigations that will be reported on in FY08. The following is a
breakdown of the total investigations that were referred to the commander
for action in FY07 and the status:
• 1,172 subjects were referred for commander action.
• Commanders took action on 600 (51%) subjects, which included 181
(30%) courts-martial.
• There were 572 (49%) subjects pending disposition as of September
30, 2007.
􀂃 Service Member victims made 705 Restricted Reports of sexual assault.
- Fourteen percent (102) of the victims making Restricted Reports opted
to change to Unrestricted Reports and participate in criminal
investigations, leaving 603 remaining Restricted Reports

2007 report
, accessible through the SAPR Home Page

Someone more familiar with the forces will have to clarify 'restricted' and 'unrestricted reports'. I don't feel like hunting around right now.

Just a Man and Allie - I've posed the question to both of you regarding whether you believe don't ask, don't tell should apply to heterosexuals as well. I guess I'll have to assume that you won't answer the question because doing so honestly might reveal hypocrisy? Or are you just needing time to think deeply on the matter?

In all the time I served in the Army no one ever asked if I was hetrosexual and I never told anyone I was hetrosexual.

The whole gay argument is so absolutely bizarre. Like I said, I was in the military and I have never met someone who was in the military and didn't know someone else who was gay. Never. How do I know? Because we joked about it.
Example: I worked with a guy who had been in the Navy. We're joking around and having a beer after work. I asked him what he did on those "long" tours of duty at sea? No women? He said that it was rough. I said I heard a lot of guys had a "special friend". He said that everyone knew who had "special" friends. Now, here comes the funny part, I said, "What was the name of your special friend? He said - ooh, you think you got me. I never had a "special friend". We laughed.
The point was that there were guys with "special" friends and everyone knew someone that had a "special" friend. Any who has been in the military and didn't know a gay guy is either lying or they were never in the military. Even if you didn't know "for sure", you suspected. I mean really suspected.

What is ironic, because we are part of NATO, gay officers from other countries walk freely around our pentagon. Soldiers that have been given "secret" and "top secret" clearances. Not only that, our soldiers share trenches with British soldiers and soldiers from other countries who are gay and I have never heard about an "incident".

This is just one of the "bogeymen" things the right comes up with. It's so childish. Arms waving and screaming in the hi voice, "Oh no, they might 'look' at me and 'like" it." They act like if a gay accidentally "drools" on you, you could get 'turned". It's laughable.

I can tell you one thing, saying they are gay gives cowards and easy way out of the military.

So who replaces all these gays? Felons. People without even a GED. Privates 40 years old.

I would rather serve next to a qualified gay who wants to be there than an armed felon. If they want to look at my butt. Good. As long as you pick me up and carry me home, look all you want.

Just a Man and Allie - I've posed the question to both of you regarding whether you believe don't ask, don't tell should apply to heterosexuals as well. I guess I'll have to assume that you won't answer the question because doing so honestly might reveal hypocrisy? Or are you just needing time to think deeply on the matter?

In all the time I served in the Army no one ever asked if I was hetrosexual and I never told anyone I was hetrosexual.

Then why ask any gays?

Here is a quote from a recent story:
Lieutenant Colonel Victor J. Fehrenbach, a fighter weapons systems officer, has been flying the F-15E Strike Eagle since 1998. He has flown numerous missions against Taliban and al-Qaida targets, including the longest combat mission in his squadron's history. On that infamous September 11, 2001, Lt. Col. Fehrenbach was handpicked to fly sorties above the nation's capital. Later he flew combat missions in Iraq and Afghanistan. He has received at least 30 awards and decorations including nine air medals, one of them for heroism, as well as campaign medals for Kosovo, Afghanistan, and Iraq. He is now a flight instructor in Idaho, where he has passed on his skills to more than 300 future Navy, Marine Corps, and Air Force weapons systems officers.

The Lt. Col. also won the Medal of Honor. Seems some disgruntled civilian "outed" him to the military. He didn't tell anyone he was gay. No, he was "asked".

There have been dozens of Arabic translators kicked out. For stupid stuff. Things like writing another soldier, "Love Steve" without thinking about it.

So then they question becomes, "Well don't they just lie and say they aren't gay?"

Because, aside from forcing them to do something dishonorable, if it is discovered in the future they ARE gay, they could actually end up in jail for perjury.

So who cares if Arabic translators get kicked out? All it does is leave American sons and daughters unprotected and unable to communicate in a dangerous land. But hey, you protected them from getting "looked at" in the shower.

Americans are way more afraid of gays than of terrorists. Gays have way more to fear from Christians than Christians do from gays.

Maybe it's true. Maybe Christians find gays so attractive. So enticing that if they are next to one, they wouldn't be able to stop themselves.

I think one of the reasons for the assaults listed in previous posts is because of the military lowering it's standards. You can't kick out 12 thousand soldiers without replacing them with somebody.

Age - raised to 40 years old.

Education - no diploma or GED required (and this in increasingly technological times)

Criminal history - Many types of felons welcome

There are tons of these stories:

Sun-Times reported that a gang member facing federal charges of murder and robbery enlisted in the Marine Corps "while he was free on bond -- and was preparing to ship out to boot camp when Marine officials recently discovered he was under indictment." While this recruit was eventually booted from the Corps, a Milwaukee police detective and Army veteran, who serves on the federal drug and gang task force that arrested the would-be Marine, noted that other "gang-bangers are going over to Iraq and sending weapons back ... gang members are getting access to military training and weapons." They also note that "gang activity maybe rising among soldiers." The paper was provided with "photos of military buildings and equipment in Iraq that were vandalized with graffiti of gangs based in Chicago, Los Angeles and other cities."

Houston Chronicle reported in August that Army recruiters were trolling around the outskirts of a Dallas-area job fair for ex-convicts.

In February, the Baltimore Sun wrote that there was "a significant increase in the number of recruits with what the Army terms 'serious criminal misconduct' in their background" -- a category that included "aggravated assault, robbery, vehicular manslaughter, receiving stolen property and making terrorist threats." From 2004 to 2005, the number of those recruits rose by more than 54 percent, while alcohol and illegal drug waivers, reversing a four-year decline, increased by more than 13 percent.

Earlier this year, it was reported that an expected transfer of 10,000 to 20,000 troops to Fort Bliss, Texas, caused FBI and local law enforcement to fear a turf war between "members of the FolkNation gang ... (and) a criminal group that is already well-established in the area, Barrio Azteca." The New York Sun wrote that, according to one FBI agent, "FolkNation, which was founded in Chicago and includes several branches using the name Gangster Disciples, has gained a foothold in the Army."

In July, a study by the Southern Poverty Law Center, which tracks racist and right-wing militia groups, found that because of pressing manpower concerns, "large numbers of neo-Nazis and skinhead extremists" are now serving in the military. "Recruiters are knowingly allowing neo-Nazis and white supremacists to join the armed forces, and commanders don't remove them from the military even after we positively identify them as extremists or gang members," said Scott Barfield, a Defense Department investigator quoted in the report.

And then, there are these types of stories:

Steven Green, who served in the 101st Airborne Division, was charged in a rape and quadruple murder in Mahmudiyah, Iraq. The guy had been arrested many times before joining the military. But hey, at least he wan't gay.

Then you must have been a gentleman. :) But that wasn't the question. I've hung out with plenty of military guys who made it quite clear they were heterosexual, and discussed their attraction to females in no uncertain terms. That would be a violation of don't ask, don't tell.

I would buy the argument that sexuality should be kept out of the military as a general rule for various reasons, but unless it applies across the board, it's just an excuse for an unequal rule.

Same here.

Same here.

Just curious.
Did you ever ask anyone if they were?

Same here.

Which still doesn't answer the question.

Did you:

- ever tell anyone you were dating and who you were dating?
- ever tell anyone you were engaged and who you were engaged to?
- ever tell anyone you were married and who you were married to?
-ever have a picture of a girlfriend, fiancee, wife where anyone could see it?
-ever wear a wedding ring?
- ever talk about your home/social life with said girlfriend/fiancee/wife with fellow soldiers?
- ever pick up girls while out with your buddies?
- ever talk about what you'd like to do with some woman when back from deployment?
- ever hold hands with a women in public where your Army buddies might see you?
- ever kiss a girl in front of your buddies in the Army?

If the answer to any of those question is yes, you have "flaunted" your heterosexuality while in the Army.

What should a bi-sexual do/say? How about someone who practices bestiality?

Just let the people in the military decided. And I think they have. So everyone else should butt out.

um...no, this is an issue within the military as well. Here's the thing - if we don't enlist in the military, we don't have to blindly follow what a commanding officer in the military says. Of course, Obama is the Commander in Chief, so I guess that means if he opts to get rid of Don't Ask, Don't Tell, you will encourage those who don't like it to "butt out."

incidentally, comparing homosexuality or bisexuality to beastiality is pretty pathetic and a bit scary.

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back