Public Opinion Supports Repealing “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JBeukema, Aug 8, 2009.

1. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    (here)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. garyd

garyd Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +401
    One of the great problems with the modern Public is that all too few of them have EVER SERVED IN THE MILITARY. Which is why they don't buy the unit cohesion argument. They don't understand it.

3. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    What does sexuality have to do with unit cohesion? Hell, if anything, the queer with a crush on his fellow soldier is more likely to do anything to bring his fellow home alive than the guy who kinda doesn't like the queer in the closet :lol:

4. garyd

garyd Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +401
    That of course assumes the fellow soldier doesn't find said crush repugnant and when it is voiced immeddiately seek to transfer out. When you are hunkered down in a fox hole standing guard in a hot zone you don't need any additional distractions say like the ass of the guy you're on duty with.

5. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    They heard the same arguments when they first desegregated the army, about Whites not wanting to 'fight in a foxhole next to a ******'. They found it no less repulsive or offensive. Are you telling me that the DIs can't get the morons to fight together?

1) Who the fuck thinks about ass when in a foxhole waiting to get shot?

2)How's that any different than thinking about your gal back home or the female in the Humvee?

3) Will a homosexual be any more distracted by his fellow's ass if he's not afraid of talking about his boyfriend back home? How will it change at all?

6. bodecea

bodecea Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,645
    You think so little of our military and their professionalism.

7. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,931
    Ya cause on a submarine where part of the crew hot racks and some sleep elbow to elbow the one thing straight guys are looking for is a gay guy living in their sleeping space.

Lets try this another way shall we?

We do not allow men and women to bunk together. Why? Cause of sex and the problems it brings to a unit. We do not allow them to shower together nor to share the same toilet facilities.

Most military personal under the rank of Sgt share quarters with at LEAST one other and sometimes more people. Do you plan to pay to build the THOUSANDS of new quarters the military will need to accommodate admitted gays? Do you plan to pay for the maintenance and upkeep, the furniture, the electricity, all the other ancillary things involved in running those quarters?

What about aboard naval vessels? How does one accommodate admitted gay personnel? As for unit cohesion, having a guy in the unit that is gay is fine as long as he is not there CAUSE he is gay. As long as he is not practicing his sexuality amongst his fellow troops. Openly gay people that are more interested in ADMITTING to everyone they are gay and getting the shock value out of it are not in the military to serve the greater good of the Country. They are not there to protect this country. Don't ask don't tell is perfect for that purpose. It ensures that gays that CHOSE to serve are doing so for the serves not as a political statement.

Clinton tried to get rid of the ban on Gays in the military too. He quickly learned it just is not a good Idea. In fact as I recall that is why we have don't ask don't tell.

The military does not need activists nor those more interested in self then group.

8. garyd

garyd Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +401
    No I think so little of humanity in general. I'm 61 a lot of experience and a life long study of history tends to reinforce that view.

Never stood guard duty have you Jay?

9. bodecea

bodecea Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,645
    I have, and I agree with J.

10. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,931