Pub machine lies nonstop- NYS GAINED 600k in Pop...

That's because we aren't lying.

And taxes are involved in cost of living issues, as well as other government regulations that artificially drive up costs.

I agreed, you aren't lying.

However, taxes make up a tiny percentage of the cost of living difference between New York and, say, Wyoming.

It's just way more expensive to live and work in New York than it is in most other places.

Salaries are also generally higher, but one can live in New Jersey and work in New York.

In fact, with work from home technology, many people can work remotely and live in outer Mongolia, while still pulling in a good salary from the main office in Manhattan. Many people in my firm have been doing that, and I'm sure we're not an exception.

And also, the numbers that are presented in most of the right-wing stories on this subject generally show the outgoing migration number prominently, and only show the incoming migration number somewhere buried in the story, which is clearly spin, though not a lie.

So instead of "residents" they should have said the state lost 1.3MM "Taxpayers" and $45B of tax revenue as a result.

Big difference

The state has more people but less tax base, what's wrong with that?

Exactly. According to franknbeans, the state of NY saw no one procreate in ten years. We're talking about taxpayers, not population, nitt witt.

That's because we aren't lying.

And taxes are involved in cost of living issues, as well as other government regulations that artificially drive up costs.

I agreed, you aren't lying.

However, taxes make up a tiny percentage of the cost of living difference between New York and, say, Wyoming.

It's just way more expensive to live and work in New York than it is in most other places.

Salaries are also generally higher, but one can live in New Jersey and work in New York.

In fact, with work from home technology, many people can work remotely and live in outer Mongolia, while still pulling in a good salary from the main office in Manhattan. Many people in my firm have been doing that, and I'm sure we're not an exception.
A tiny percentage? Have you ever lived in NY or NJ?. Property taxes are ridiculous!
Here's and example.....At 100% of assessed value for taxation( $535,000 as of 2009 reval), the town in which I grew up in Northern NJ has a tax rate of $1.94 per $100 of assessed value. This is one the lowest tax rates in any municipality in the state.
DO the math....The annual tax bill for this home is....$10379..That's over $800 per month.
The average tax rate in Bergen County is about $2.50 per hundred. With the average value of about $500,000, the average tax bill is right around $10k per year.
Some towns have much higher rates. For example Carlstadt. That Borough's rate is $4.05 per hundred. The avg home value in that town is around $400k....$16k will be your bill.
Here..I picked a home in Allendale, NJ at random. It is the first one on the list of all properties in the town....The home is assessed at $1.32 million....The general tax rate for Allendale is $2.67 per hundred. The annual tax bill is $35,244. That is almost $3,600 per month. Now, many homes in NJ are owner occupied for decades. Meaning, their home values have appreciated sometimes 20 fold. My parents first home they bought in 1962 for $20k was last sold in 2006 for over one half million dollars.
SO the argument that everybody that lives in an expensive home is rich is just plain stupid.
The people that lived across the street still own their home after nearly 45 years. They paid $35k and now the home is worth over $600k.
Thus the cost of living is MUCH higher in NJ and the northeast .

So instead of "residents" they should have said the state lost 1.3MM "Taxpayers" and $45B of tax revenue as a result.

Big difference

The state has more people but less tax base, what's wrong with that?

That's not true at all. The causal relationship implied by "as a result" is neither shown nor claimed by the Tax Foundation. Also, the 1.3M number is "exemptions" which includes children that don't file taxes and actually reduce the tax payments of their parents and guardians.

Forum List

Back