Pub default: 1/3 of workers - no paid sick days- pathetic!

What is needed is a national law that would require paid sick time, but with the current climate in DC that's not likely to happen anytime soon so states like NY and cities like SF are trying to pass laws or have passed laws at the local level.

When I was in sheet metal union, we negotiated for a contract that excluded paid leave altogether. No sick leave, no vacation leave. This was deliberate, as the consensus among the union members was that we'd rather have higher wages for when we did work, and manage our time off ourselves.

So, I'm wondering, under the sort of law you're advocating, would my union just have to suck it up and take lower wages (in exchange for leave they might, or might not use)? Or should they get special, ad-hoc exemptions?

Sure, an exemption would be cool...as long as those that wanted the sick leave could "opt in". I'm always in favor of more choices.

What is needed is a national law that would require paid sick time, but with the current climate in DC that's not likely to happen anytime soon so states like NY and cities like SF are trying to pass laws or have passed laws at the local level.

When I was in sheet metal union, we negotiated for a contract that excluded paid leave altogether. No sick leave, no vacation leave. This was deliberate, as the consensus among the union members was that we'd rather have higher wages for when we did work, and manage our time off ourselves.

So, I'm wondering, under the sort of law you're advocating, would my union just have to suck it up and take lower wages (in exchange for leave they might, or might not use)? Or should they get special, ad-hoc exemptions?

Sure, an exemption would be cool...as long as those that wanted the sick leave could "opt in". I'm always in favor of more choices.

Would everyone be eligible for the special exemptions, or just union members? For example, if I worked at McDonalds and talked my employer into a raise in exchange for dropping my leave benefits, would that be allowed?

More people in this country are paid not to work than are those who go without sick pay.

Twit Lib puke tard.

really, h? you think someone should have to go to work with the flu or either not get paid or be in jeopardy of losing their job?

i don't think you really want to say that. do you?
That's MR H to you, young lady. :D

More people in this country are paid not to work than are those who go without sick pay.

Twit Lib puke tard.

Do you get paid to whine or is that a free service you provide?

If you got paid to whine around here, you'd be a gozillionaire. Like Forrest Gump.

As an employer why should I pay you for NOT coming to work? I pay you to perform a service for me, if you are not performing that service, it's not pay I'd be giving you, it's charity, and I'm in the Home Improvement business, not the charity business.
They think it's okay for Nancy Pelosi to sneak in a couple of billion in tax payers' money for her family, (i.e. Solyndra bankruptcy money for investors, etc.) but it's not okay for a small business owner to take home more money for his 80-hour weeks than someone who works 37.5-hour weeks.

Funny how they expect to get money gushing from a limited US Treasury, hm with you footing the bill but having no wherewithal to pay it with due to unsustainable deductions.

It's criminal to bilk workers, but that's what the DNC is after--every last nickel from every last earner, put into their personal pockets and making sure conservatives get nothing for the double time they do to pay taxes.

i think you should remove yourself from rightwingnuthackworld and try to stick to the topic. i know you don't work. but do you think those of us who do should have to go to work sick or either not have money to pay bills or, worse, be threatened with the loss of a job?
If you dislike someone's opinions that much on a regular basis, you have an option to remove them. With your important work-filled schedule, with only seconds to spend here that preclude any semblance of courtesy to anyone with whom you disagree, anyway, I fully recommend your doing that favor to yourself, princess. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I see a lot of deflection, but no actual addressing of the issue. Should people get paid sick time off, yes or no?

NO, what you are really asking is if the government should force companies to give sick time. Whether or not they do is entirely up to the individual and the company. No one, as far as I know, is forced to work any where.

So no, the government does not have the right to force companies to do anything other then provide a safe work place.

I see a lot of deflection, but no actual addressing of the issue. Should people get paid sick time off, yes or no?

well i think so.....but then i was really spoiled......i got 13 sick days a year and could bank them.....but if a company gives Sick Leave then that's one of the better Companies to work for obviously....i can understand if your worried about losing your job if you call in....but at the same time,maybe the Company should tell them that your job,at least, is safe....stay home....dont infect everyone else.....

Forum List

Back