Psychology vs Religion

Christianity teaches Christ will return to judge all mankind, according to his deeds.

Psychology advocates that every one of us is touched by mental dysfunction/illness to some degree, whether stress, anger, severe depression, bipolar, schizophrenia, etc. which causes us to impulsively behave in certain ways.

Given that our psychological, neurological wiring governs our actions/behavior, it would be a cruel god who would hold mankind responsible for deeds rooted in a culturally dysfunctional or ill collective conscious.

I see commonality between the religion and psychotherapy.

One says we all have issues and the other says we are all sinners.

One says we must feel it to heal it and the other says we must repent.

A fair judgement be it by man or God must take into account the person being judged. We all come into this world with varying degrees of capability and are born into vastly different environments. Where little has been given, little can be expected.
But if man is incapable of discerning appropriate or inappropriate behavior due to some mental dysfunction, he cannot be held responsible for his actions.

I heard somewhere that a judge in a criminal trial said that, if a man could not be held responsible for his actions, that would be subversive and undermine the law.

Last edited:
Psychology advocates that every one of us is touched by mental dysfunction/illness to some degree, whether stress, anger, severe depression, bipolar, schizophrenia, etc. which causes us to impulsively behave in certain ways.

I am not sure I agree with that statement. Psychology may find some people cannot control themselves because of severe mental illness, but stress and anger are not excuses.

I am not sure I agree with that statement. Psychology may find some people cannot control themselves because of severe mental illness, but stress and anger are not excuses.
DSM-V (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition) does indeed include acute stress and anger as mental disorders.

Christianity teaches Christ will return to judge all mankind, according to his deeds.

Given that our psychological, neurological wiring governs our actions/behavior, it would be a cruel god who would hold mankind responsible for deeds rooted in a culturally dysfunctional or ill collective conscious.

Are you trying to say that psychology disproves free will?

Forum List

Back