Psychobabble bullshit from Keith Ablow M.D.

The only part of forensic psychiatry that is based on evidence is when they examine a suspect to determine competence to stand trial, everything else is speculation based on hunches and personal anecdotes. How accurate were those forensic profiles of the Beltway Sniper again?

You are going to base your opinion on one case? Better tell the FBI to stop employing forensic psych. I am sure they will be shocked to learn that forensic psych is useless.

Can you point out how that case is any different than any other case? They make assumptions based on personal experience and the fact that no one ever does anything unless they fit a profile.

I would call that poppycock, but that would be redundant.

http://www.upstate.edu/psych/education/fellowships/pdf/serial_murder.pdf

This crap:

Newt Gingrich's Three Marriages Mean He Might Make A Strong President -- Really | Fox News

is an excellent example of what happens when someone decides to pimp their professional credentials for cash:

I want to be coldly analytical, not moralize, here. I want to tell you what Mr. Gingrich’s behavior could mean for the country, not for the future of his current marriage. So, here’s what one interested in making America stronger can reasonably conclude—psychologically—from Mr. Gingrich’s behavior during his three marriages:

1) Three women have met Mr. Gingrich and been so moved by his emotional energy and intellect that they decided they wanted to spend the rest of their lives with him.

2) Two of these women felt this way even though Mr. Gingrich was already married.

3 ) One of them felt this way even though Mr. Gingrich was already married for the second time, was not exactly her equal in the looks department and had a wife (Marianne) who wanted to make his life without her as painful as possible.

Conclusion: When three women want to sign on for life with a man who is now running for president, I worry more about whether we’ll be clamoring for a third Gingrich term, not whether we’ll want to let him go after one.

So, as far as I can tell, judging from the psychological data, we have only one real risk to America from his marital history if Newt Gingrich were to become president: We would need to worry that another nation, perhaps a little younger than ours, would be so taken by Mr. Gingrich that it would seduce him into marrying it and becoming its president. And I think that is exceedingly unlikely.

More hilarity at the original link (and it actually gets a lot more funny).

At this point, I am only left to wonder what Ablow's angle is? It's obviously not the perpetuation of legitimate, evidence-based, psychiatric medicine.

Cheaters are professional liars, so of course cheating and politics go hand in hand. We should not be surprised that some people will try and rationalize it. How many presidents and other powerful men have committed adultery? I would imagine the number would be higher than the norm.

But I do find it baffling that so many women are attracted to him. He must have some kind of charm that doesn't come across so well on T.V.

Quick question...........how much "charm" do you really need when you have a million dollar revolving account at Tiffany's?

I mean shit............even someone like Donald the Chump gets hot women. Why? Not because of charm, but because of CASH.

Remember when Clinton lied about his cheating? Psycho-Babelists came out of the woodwork and claimed that "lying is good for a marriage".

The Libs ate it up!

I remember that actor "Dustbin" Hoffman said about Clinton: "Well it's better that he use his crotch rocket than launching rockets", or something like that.

Oh yeah, I remember the Libs all saying they would Rather Have the President Getting some, than being Sexually Frustrated, and that his Womanizing and Adultery were just the cost of such a Complex and Intelligent and Powerful Man. It was to be expected and accepted.

But what's new, We all know Liberals will give their People a pass for anything, and Make Mountains out of Mole Hills when ever a Conservative is involved. That's not going to change.

Actually, you're quoting Newt........

GINGRICH'S PATRIOTISM LED HIM TO CHEAT ON HIS WIVES.... It seems likely that disgraced former House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) realizes his scandalous personal life will affect his presidential ambitions. The question, then, is what he intends to do about it.

He's not the first presidential candidate to run as an admitted adulterer, but Gingrich's past -- multiple wives, multiple affairs, divorces under painful circumstances -- is arguably the ugliest of any presidential hopeful in American history. As David Frum noted, "It's not the infidelity. It's the arrogance, hypocrisy, and -- most horrifying to women voters -- the cruelty. Anyone can dump one sick wife. Gingrich dumped two."

Aware of his problem, Gingrich has a new line to explain his misdeeds. Here's the explanation he offered radical TV preacher Pat Robertson's Christian Broadcasting Network. (thanks to R.B. for the tip)

"There's no question at times of my life, partially driven by how passionately I felt about this country, that I worked far too hard and things happened in my life that were not appropriate. And what I can tell you is that when I did things that were wrong, I wasn't trapped in situation ethics, I was doing things that were wrong, and yet, I was doing them."

If Gingrich thinks the public will find this persuasive, he's completely lost his mind.

The Washington Monthly

You are going to base your opinion on one case? Better tell the FBI to stop employing forensic psych. I am sure they will be shocked to learn that forensic psych is useless.

Can you point out how that case is any different than any other case? They make assumptions based on personal experience and the fact that no one ever does anything unless they fit a profile.

Like I said, purely anecdotal.

Like I said, purely anecdotal.

The link (riddled with research data) and these guys/gals:

FBI — BSU

Disagree.

But you are entitled to your opinion, I suppose.

The link (riddled with research data) and these guys/gals:

FBI — BSU

Disagree.

But you are entitled to your opinion, I suppose.

I have been a part of behavioral research. It starts with basic assumptions, ignores any data that falls outside the expected parameters as statistically insignificant, and jumps to pre ordained conclusions. If you want to call that science, feel free, but you might as well believe that vaccines cause autism.

By the way, the FBI has a forensic dentistry unit. Do you think that makes bite mark analysis is evidence based?

Forum List

Back