psycho landlord

Does anyone have any experience dealing with the mentally unbalanced?

I deposited 60 cash for an apartment on the 199th of last month, have the receipt. I gave the balance of 1st month and security via check on the 1st of this month. I called the next morning to complain that the place was still pretty dirty, and that a security deposit was to insure that I left it as I found it. I was not rude.
He called me back that morning and went a little nuts, you know, on the offensive, but we left it that I was going to have the number for the land lady (his sister in law) and the rest of the keys by Monday morning. I worked all weekend on the place, cleaning and washing windows, hanging curtains, hauling stuff up there, a washer and dryer...

Tonight he calls me, wakes me out of a sound sleep, to scream at me over the phone that I have to get my "shit out" or he'll throw it out of the window.

So I went there tonight and called the police, the officer said he would testify that I do indeed have a key, all my stuff was there, and that I need to call civil courts or some such in the morning. My boss is calling her father, a lawyer, to help me. I have to work tonight, all my stuff is there, and if he changes the locks I'm SO screwed.

I got the number for his sister who informed me that the check wasn't cashed and she doesn't think it'll work out. I told her that I worked all weekend getting stuff straight in there, that what she was trying to do is not legal, her agent's behavior was not normal, and that I'm contacting the authorities. I have video of the place, the key turning the lock, the officers testimony, and the receipt. How do I deal with this nightmare???:eusa_eh:

Don't listen to that idiot Madeline.

You started trouble with the landlord on the first day. He was very smart to not cash your check. You are signaling that you are trouble.

Pack your bags and get out. You are a thief. You never paid for shit if your check was not cashed. Your belongings have not been there long enough to establish any sort of legal residency.

next time learn to STFU or better yet, stop being such a control freak with other people's property

Actually, every local and state official I spoke to says I took possession of the property and established tenancy when he accepted my check and gave me keys. The electricity is on in my name, and I will be staying long enough to make sure he is forced to meet his responsibilities. He brought the check back to the apartment and left it on the stove. Those funds will be placed in escrow until the repairs are made. Its almost winter, there are windows broken and others that do not close completely or at all. Code enforcement is getting involved because the attempted eviction took place as retaliation for bringing enforceable code to his attention. He can go to jail for that. He's a slumlord, and he ran into the wrong woman with his bullshit.

Go get 'em, sista! I knew there was a good explanation for why this shitheel bugged out...you're a doll, and I knew it wasn't your manners.

Now if Dante had been told to get the fuck out, I'd have a different take on things.

I deposited 60 cash for an apartment on the 199th of last month, have the receipt. I gave the balance of 1st month and security via check on the 1st of this month. I called the next morning to complain that the place was still pretty dirty, and that a security deposit was to insure that I left it as I found it. I was not rude.
He called me back that morning and went a little nuts, you know, on the offensive, but we left it that I was going to have the number for the land lady (his sister in law) and the rest of the keys by Monday morning. I worked all weekend on the place, cleaning and washing windows, hanging curtains, hauling stuff up there, a washer and dryer...

Tonight he calls me, wakes me out of a sound sleep, to scream at me over the phone that I have to get my "shit out" or he'll throw it out of the window.

So I went there tonight and called the police, the officer said he would testify that I do indeed have a key, all my stuff was there, and that I need to call civil courts or some such in the morning. My boss is calling her father, a lawyer, to help me. I have to work tonight, all my stuff is there, and if he changes the locks I'm SO screwed.

I got the number for his sister who informed me that the check wasn't cashed and she doesn't think it'll work out. I told her that I worked all weekend getting stuff straight in there, that what she was trying to do is not legal, her agent's behavior was not normal, and that I'm contacting the authorities. I have video of the place, the key turning the lock, the officers testimony, and the receipt. How do I deal with this nightmare???:eusa_eh:

Some States have better laws than others regarding Tenant's Rights V.S. Owner Property Rights. Sounds like you won the battle, yet when the time is right, you should consider moving on, on your terms, not his. It does sound like things will never be right there, you are better than having to look over your shoulder, wondering what he will stoop to next.

Don't listen to that idiot Madeline.

You started trouble with the landlord on the first day. He was very smart to not cash your check. You are signaling that you are trouble.

Pack your bags and get out. You are a thief. You never paid for shit if your check was not cashed. Your belongings have not been there long enough to establish any sort of legal residency.

next time learn to STFU or better yet, stop being such a control freak with other people's property

Don't pay any attention to this idiot, but it is probably best if you find another place. You are in the right, and have the law on your side, but you do not need anyone like that with access to your apartment.

barb you have to move...sorry but that is a fact..and when you move....have a policemen come over and stay with you.

but you have his butt in a sling....he has really messed up ...forcing you out cause you had concerns is a big no no...now check all the laws...in some states you have to repaint the entire inside of the unit before it can be rented again...

offer the owner of the unit ....a settlement that includes all the money you are out...plus fees for moving again....if they refuse then go to court...check into what you can recover (if anything) for the stress etc.

good luck to you...but get out of the place...do you have pets? be careful you have no clue what his prick is gonna do.

My thought would be to get the hell out of there, the sooner the better. I would not be able to sleep at night if I feared for my safety or the safety of my belongings.

Is there no lease? Even though leases are generally drawn up in favor of landlords, they will still offer protection to tenants against certain actions and you would be better off with a lease than you would be without one. Contact your state agency that governs rental property, ask for a copy of the Landlord-Tenant Act for your state and educate yourself on just what responsibilities are required of each party. You should have a right to the expectation to move into a clean unit even though you know you're going to clean it anyway before putting your stuff away.

I'm in a great situation - very nice big apartment for very little rent, same day maintenance service, we're allowed to paint and/or decorate our apartments because the landlord's position is that they want us to feel that this is our home. They know most residents on a first-name basis and have mostly long-term tenants, many of whom have chosen to stay put for as much as 20 years. They also do a quick inspection about twice a year to see that tenants keep their units in good condition and not filthy. I have no problem with that whatsoever - it's a "two minute" eye scan when they install new HVAC filters.

Last edited:
barb you have to move...sorry but that is a fact..and when you move....have a policemen come over and stay with you.

but you have his butt in a sling....he has really messed up ...forcing you out cause you had concerns is a big no no...now check all the laws...in some states you have to repaint the entire inside of the unit before it can be rented again...

offer the owner of the unit ....a settlement that includes all the money you are out...plus fees for moving again....if they refuse then go to court...check into what you can recover (if anything) for the stress etc.

good luck to you...but get out of the place...do you have pets? be careful you have no clue what his prick is gonna do.

He actually caved. There was a nail and mail (court order) on my door demanding October's rent, but not the security deposit. Code enforcement will be out next week, and they'll force him to fix things. I'll still be leaving, but in my own sweet time, and on my terms.

Forum List

Back