PSP: Is it worth it?

Semper Fi

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2003
Wisconsin
Good day, I am considering buying a PSP for use on trips and with friends, though not for use as frequent as a computer or console. Does anyone here have one? How does it compare with a DS? And most of all, given tyhe upcoming game releases (some of them look pretty sweet), would it be worth the ~$250 price tag?

I don't have a PSP or Nintendo DS, but I think graphics-wise, the PSP blows the DS out of the water. However, I think $250 is just ridiculous for a handheld system, no matter how good it is. Then again, it's also got an MP3 player, and it plays movies, so it would be useful on trips.

I say to hell with portables. For $250 you can buy a dvd player
with 2 screens for your car (Wal Mart). I know it's not the same but
I got a kid too so it's worth it to me if I can keep her entertained in the car
as many ways as possible. I agree with Dan too, $250 is alot of dough
for a portable. Then you have to buy the games.

yeah this thread is half a year old but who cares. I can still use it for my DS>PSP argument. It's just a simple cost-benefit thing. A DS gets reasonably good graphics and awesome games (MarioKart DS) for around $130. And think about what your buying: a portable. This isn't your main gaming rig (I hope), just something to whittle down the hours on car rides and plane trips. There is really no need to throw down over $200 for a PSP when a DS fills the same roll quite adequetly.

I have a PSP, no other portable system to compare it to. I have to say its one of the greatest things I have ever bought. It has a memory chip on it you can download pics, movies, MP3s and even GameEmulators to. Yes, you can play Nintendo games on it! The UMDs are great for when traveling, but you can buy software to convert your existing DVDs to the memory chip too. Theres not much of a game selection yet, and some of the games are very watered down versions of their console counterparts (Need For Speed:Most Wanted, Prince of Persia, Madden '06 for example). Others are just as good if not better than the console versions (X-Men Legends 2). This thing has been a lifesaver when stuck at airports or even on long drives. Listening to Beavis & Butthead Vol.1 made driving across texas alot easier :teeth:

Yeah I got a PSP, and I have to agree with Hawk. Watching Blackhawk Down with my brother on the 4 or 5 hour plane ride back from Vegas made time slip by, bot to mention the movies, games, music, and now web browser. By the way, do you know of any freeware that can convert videos to mpg4? I have one but it never seems to work.

Though the screen may be small, it is still quite amazing. Referring the UMDs, of course.

By the way, lets see your DS do that!

Forum List

Back