Psalm 46

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014
Shakespeare's alleged involvement[edit]

For several decades, some theorists have suggested William Shakespeare placed his mark on the translated text of Psalm 46 that appears in the King James Bible, although many scholars view this as unlikely, stating that the translations were probably agreed upon by a committee of scholars.[17] The 46th word from the beginning of Psalm 46 is "shake" and the 46th word from the end (omitting the liturgical mark "Selah") is "spear" ("speare" in the original spelling). Shakespeare was in King James' service during the preparation of the King James Bible, and was generally considered to be 46 years old in 1611 when the translation was completed.

The 1560 Geneva Bible version of Psalm 46 has the words "shake" and "speare" in the similar positions, so it is possible that the presence of Shakespeare's name is merely a coincidence. However, since the King James Version is just a heavy edit of the Geneva Bible, the intentional edit to align the words "shake" and "speare" in order to insert the editor's signature surreptitiously is quite possible

Psalm 46 - Wikipedia

I do not believe in such coincidences, so say hello to Shakespeare in the 46th Psalm.

Interesting. A bit of a stretch though, it seems to me. Still, I've read some opinions that much of Shakespeare's writing suggests that he was a Catholic. Would he be involved in the King James translations, then? If only to slip in a shake and a spear, perhaps?

As for the Selah omission- isn't selah a musical direction? Sure, music is tied to the liturgy, still, that's another stretch.

Here's the Catholic version of Psalm 46
1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

46:2 Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;

46:3 Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah.

46:4 There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High.

46:5 God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early.

46:6 The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved: he uttered his voice, the earth melted.

46:7 The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.

46:8 Come, behold the works of the LORD, what desolations he hath made in the earth.

46:9 He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire.

46:10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

46:11 The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.

Interesting. A bit of a stretch though, it seems to me. Still, I've read some opinions that much of Shakespeare's writing suggests that he was a Catholic. Would he be involved in the King James translations, then? If only to slip in a shake and a spear, perhaps?

As for the Selah omission- isn't selah a musical direction? Sure, music is tied to the liturgy, still, that's another stretch.

46:2 Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;

46:3 Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah.

46:4 There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High.

46:5 God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early.

46:6 The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved: he uttered his voice, the earth melted.

46:8 Come, behold the works of the LORD, what desolations he hath made in the earth.

46:9 He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire.

46:10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

46 and 46, which version of the Catholic Bible is this?

Douay Rheims.
Psalm 46
Will you be addressing my other remarks, or no?

Douay Rheims.
Psalm 46

Douray Rheims 1610
[1] Unto the end, for the sons of Core. [2] O clap your hands, all ye nations: shout unto God with the voice of Joy, [3] For the Lord is high, terrible: a great king over all the earth. [4] He hath subdued the people under us; and the nations under our feet. [5] He hath chosen for us his inheritance the beauty of Jacob which he hath loved.

[6] God is ascended with jubilee, and the Lord with the sound of trumpet. [7] Sing praises to our God, sing ye: sing praises to our king, sing ye. [8] For God is the king of all the earth: sing ye wisely. [9] God shall reign over the nations: God sitteth on his holy throne. [10] The princes of the people are gathered together, with the God of Abraham: for the strong gods of the earth are exceedingly exalted.

I did not count Selah. Yes they say he was RC but he was in King James Service for the writing of the AKJVB as the article says. Of course he did not write the 46th Psalm, it existed, but that does not mean he did not leave his mark on it.

Douay Rheims.
Psalm 46

Douray Rheims 1610
[1] Unto the end, for the sons of Core. [2] O clap your hands, all ye nations: shout unto God with the voice of Joy, [3] For the Lord is high, terrible: a great king over all the earth. [4] He hath subdued the people under us; and the nations under our feet. [5] He hath chosen for us his inheritance the beauty of Jacob which he hath loved.

[6] God is ascended with jubilee, and the Lord with the sound of trumpet. [7] Sing praises to our God, sing ye: sing praises to our king, sing ye. [8] For God is the king of all the earth: sing ye wisely. [9] God shall reign over the nations: God sitteth on his holy throne. [10] The princes of the people are gathered together, with the God of Abraham: for the strong gods of the earth are exceedingly exalted.

I did not count Selah. Yes they say he was RC but he was in King James Service for the writing of the AKJVB as the article says. Of course he did not write the 46th Psalm, it existed, but that does not mean he did not leave his mark on it.
You did not count selah. I know. That's one of the reasons, I find your OP a stretch. All you have are insinuations that he MAYBE did some translations for the KingJames version and IF he MAYBE did those translations, he MAYBE inserted his name in there.

Then you wandered into correcting the Douray Rheims I offered. MAYBE you can get Shakepeare on that, too. LOL

Douay Rheims.
Psalm 46

Douray Rheims 1610

You did not count selah. I know. That's one of the reasons, I find your OP a stretch. All you have are insinuations that he MAYBE did some translations for the KingJames version and IF he MAYBE did those translations, he MAYBE inserted his name in there.

Then you wandered into correcting the Douray Rheims I offered. MAYBE you can get Shakepeare on that, too. LOL

what year is your DR (not the same year as the one I posted) , you do not need to believe this coincidence but I do , most coincidences I do not believe, but when it comes to literary stuff I usually do.

Douay Rheims.
Psalm 46

Douray Rheims 1610

what year is your DR (not the same year as the one I posted) , you do not need to believe this coincidence but I do , most coincidences I do not believe, but when it comes to literary stuff I usually do.
I gave you a link. Figure it out yourself. You've freed up time now that you've abandoned your own OP topic.

Douay Rheims.
Psalm 46

Douray Rheims 1610

I gave you a link. Figure it out yourself. You've freed up time now that you've abandoned your own OP topic.

What year is that one. It does not say. PS: I have a life.
Much of the text of the 1582/1610 bible employed a densely Latinate vocabulary, to the extent of being in places unreadable. Consequently, this translation was replaced by a revision undertaken by bishop Richard Challoner; the New Testament in three editions 1749, 1750, and 1752; the Old Testament (minus the Vulgate deuterocanonical), in 1750. Although retaining the title Douay–Rheims Bible, the Challoner revision was a new version, tending to take as its base text the King James Bible[4] rigorously checked and extensively adjusted for improved readability and consistency with the Clementine edition of the Vulgate. Subsequent editions of the Challoner revision, of which there have been very many, reproduce his Old Testament of 1750 with very few changes

Douay–Rheims Bible - Wikipedia:

Last edited:
Douay Rheims.
Psalm 46

Douray Rheims 1610

Much of the text of the 1582/1610 bible employed a densely Latinate vocabulary, to the extent of being in places unreadable. Consequently, this translation was replaced by a revision undertaken by bishop Richard Challoner; the New Testament in three editions 1749, 1750, and 1752; the Old Testament (minus the Vulgate deuterocanonical), in 1750. Although retaining the title Douay–Rheims Bible, the Challoner revision was a new version, tending to take as its base text the King James Bible[4] rigorously checked and extensively adjusted for improved readability and consistency with the Clementine edition of the Vulgate. Subsequent editions of the Challoner revision, of which there have been very many, reproduce his Old Testament of 1750 with very few changes

TLDR I have a life.

Douray Rheims 1610

TLDR I have a life.

I have no idea what TLDR stands for. the Geneva Bible did not have the words in the right place.

Douray Rheims 1610

TLDR I have a life.

Too long didn't read. OK.

Forum List

Back