Psalm 109:8 - Let his days be few; and let another take his office.

xsited1

Agent P
Sep 15, 2008
Little Rock, AR
Biblical anti-Obama slogan: Use of Psalm 109:8 funny or sinister? | csmonitor.com

There’s a new slogan making its way onto car bumpers and across the Internet. It reads simply: “Pray for Obama: Psalm 109:8”

A nice sentiment?

Maybe not.

The psalm reads, “Let his days be few; and let another take his office.”

Presidential criticism through witty slogans is nothing new. Bumper stickers, t-shirts, and hats with “1/20/09” commemorated President Bush’s last day in office.

But the verse immediately following the psalm referenced is a bit more ominous: “Let his children be fatherless, and his wife a widow.”

The slogan comes at a time of heightened concern about antigovernment anger. Earlier this year, the president’s senior adviser, David Axelrod, said that Tea Parties could lead to something unhealthy. In September, authorities shut down a poll on Facebook asking if President Obama should be killed.

Still, that doesn’t push the Psalms citation into the realm of hate speech, says Chris Hansen, a staff attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).

The use of Psalm 109:8 is ambiguous as to whether its users are calling for the President to serve “only one term, or less than one term,” he says.

Deborah Lauter, director of civil rights at the Anti-Defamation League agrees that the bumper sticker falls within acceptable political discourse.

For it to be considered hate speech, it “would advocate actual violence or cite scripture that was more clear in its message.”

But that doesn’t mean that it’s completely innocent.

“Are we concerned about real hostility towards [President Obama]? Absolutely,” says Ms. Lauter. “Is this a part of that movement? It may be, but in terms of this message itself, we would not criticize it.”

“The problem is you don’t know if people who are donning that message in a shirt or on a bumper sticker are fully aware of the quote or what follows. Obviously that message makes the ambiguity disappear. If they’re just referring to him being out of office, that’s one thing. If they’re referring to him being dead, that’s so offensive. It’s protected speech, but it’s clearly offensive.”

For many, the slogan is just a humorous way express disapproval for President Obama. It’s been tweeted and retweeted by Obama critics with messages like “too funny” and “an excellent prayer for America.”

Twitter user Cheri Douglas felt compelled to share the psalm with others. Reached by phone, she said she found it on website while searching for Bible passages relating to leadership – a topic on which she writes, speaks, and consults for a living.

Ms. Douglas was unaware of the verses that followed the ones she referenced and doesn’t think that those who shared the psalm wish the President harm.

“I don’t believe there’s Christians who wish him ill will,” she says.

But Douglas does say she’s unhappy with the president and used the psalm to convey that she’d like him to serve only one term.

Biblical anti-Obama slogan: Use of Psalm 109:8 funny or sinister? | csmonitor.com

There’s a new slogan making its way onto car bumpers and across the Internet. It reads simply: “Pray for Obama: Psalm 109:8”

A nice sentiment?

Maybe not.

Presidential criticism through witty slogans is nothing new. Bumper stickers, t-shirts, and hats with “1/20/09” commemorated President Bush’s last day in office.

But the verse immediately following the psalm referenced is a bit more ominous: “Let his children be fatherless, and his wife a widow.”

The slogan comes at a time of heightened concern about antigovernment anger. Earlier this year, the president’s senior adviser, David Axelrod, said that Tea Parties could lead to something unhealthy. In September, authorities shut down a poll on Facebook asking if President Obama should be killed.

Still, that doesn’t push the Psalms citation into the realm of hate speech, says Chris Hansen, a staff attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).

The use of Psalm 109:8 is ambiguous as to whether its users are calling for the President to serve “only one term, or less than one term,” he says.

Deborah Lauter, director of civil rights at the Anti-Defamation League agrees that the bumper sticker falls within acceptable political discourse.

For it to be considered hate speech, it “would advocate actual violence or cite scripture that was more clear in its message.”

“Are we concerned about real hostility towards [President Obama]? Absolutely,” says Ms. Lauter. “Is this a part of that movement? It may be, but in terms of this message itself, we would not criticize it.”

“The problem is you don’t know if people who are donning that message in a shirt or on a bumper sticker are fully aware of the quote or what follows. Obviously that message makes the ambiguity disappear. If they’re just referring to him being out of office, that’s one thing. If they’re referring to him being dead, that’s so offensive. It’s protected speech, but it’s clearly offensive.”

For many, the slogan is just a humorous way express disapproval for President Obama. It’s been tweeted and retweeted by Obama critics with messages like “too funny” and “an excellent prayer for America.”

Twitter user Cheri Douglas felt compelled to share the psalm with others. Reached by phone, she said she found it on website while searching for Bible passages relating to leadership – a topic on which she writes, speaks, and consults for a living.

Ms. Douglas was unaware of the verses that followed the ones she referenced and doesn’t think that those who shared the psalm wish the President harm.

But Douglas does say she’s unhappy with the president and used the psalm to convey that she’d like him to serve only one term.

Chumming the waters for a wacked out Timmy McVey clone sniper? Christians are traitorous scum.

A nice sentiment?

Maybe not.

Chumming the waters for a wacked out Timmy McVey clone sniper? Christians are traitorous scum.

O God, whom I praise,

do not remain silent,

for wicked and deceitful men

have opened their mouths against me;

they have spoken against me with lying tongues.

With words of hatred they surround me;

they attack me without cause.

In return for my friendship they accuse me,

but I am a man of prayer.

They repay me evil for good,

and hatred for my friendship.

Appoint an evil manb to oppose him;

let an accuser stand at his right hand.

When he is tried, let him be found guilty,

and may his prayers condemn him.

May his days be few;

may another take his place of leadership.

May his children be fatherless

and his wife a widow.

May his children be wandering beggars;

may they be drivend from their ruined homes.

May a creditor seize all he has;

may strangers plunder the fruits of his labor.

May no one extend kindness to him

or take pity on his fatherless children.

May his descendants be cut off,

their names blotted out from the next generation.

May the iniquity of his fathers be remembered before the Lord;

may the sin of his mother never be blotted out.

May their sins always remain before the Lord,

that he may cut off the memory of them from the earth.

For he never thought of doing a kindness,

but hounded to death the poor

and the needy and the brokenhearted.

He loved to pronounce a curse—

may ite come on him;

he found no pleasure in blessing—

may it bef far from him.

He wore cursing as his garment;

it entered into his body like water,

into his bones like oil.

May it be like a cloak wrapped about him,

like a belt tied forever around him.

May this be the Lord’s payment to my accusers,

to those who speak evil of me.

But you, O Sovereign Lord,

deal well with me for your name’s sake;

out of the goodness of your love, deliver me.

For I am poor and needy,

and my heart is wounded within me.

I fade away like an evening shadow;

I am shaken off like a locust.

My knees give way from fasting;

my body is thin and gaunt.

I am an object of scorn to my accusers;

when they see me, they shake their heads.

Help me, O Lord my God;

save me in accordance with your love.

Let them know that it is your hand,

that you, O Lord, have done it.

They may curse, but you will bless;

when they attack they will be put to shame,

but your servant will rejoice.

My accusers will be clothed with disgrace

and wrapped in shame as in a cloak.

With my mouth I will greatly extol the Lord;

in the great throng I will praise him.

For he stands at the right hand of the needy one,

to save his life from those who condemn him.

psalm109.jpg

colors: every shade of yellow you can think of !!!!

Last edited:

A nice sentiment?

Maybe not.

Oh great, as if the Islamic terrorists aren't enough, now we are having to deal with our own home grown religious terrorists....

Meh, the Religious Right or fundy extremism is getting old, they really aren't as relevant as they'd like to be...

This isn't 1979-2005 anymore.

I think they're pretty much bloviators at this point in time.

Meh, the Religious Right or fundy extremism is getting old, they really aren't as relevant as they'd like to be...

I wouldn't be dissmissive about "blowviators" advocating assasination of our president.

I hope the FBI and the Secret Service are being vigilant with these threats.

A nice sentiment?

Maybe not.

Impressive....

Didn't you used to attend football games wearing a rainbow wig?

Only takes one nut to stop bloviating and become an actual threat though.

Right wing extremist, like left wing extremist, but less talky and more prone to violence.

Isn't this usually the time we get the Obama anti-christ posts?

Forum List

Back