CDZ PSA: You only think you are covered....

320 Years of History

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2015
Washington, D.C.
If you read Time magazine, you've likely already seen this story. If you haven't, pick up a copy or perhaps read this: Hospitals caught in middle as insurers and doctors battle over out-of-network charges .

It's quite clear to me what's going on. From a hospital's point of view, many, maybe most, doctors at hospitals are contract workers rather than hospital employees. As contracted employees, the doctors collect fees from the hospital, but aren't employed by the hospital.

This means that when one goes to a hospital for a procedure, the hospital can be "in network" with regard to one's insurance policy, the doctor who's performing the procedure -- the one with whom the patient has a relationship -- may also be "in network;" however, the other people who participate in providing for one's care may not at all be "in network." Since one or several doctors or other professionals who aid in delivering one's care in the hospital must be paid, they send a bill to one's insurer and the insurer sees they aren't "in network" and reimburses them at the lower "out of network" rate, leaving the patient to pay the remainder.

Now it's absolutely true that for scheduled procedures, one can conceivably take steps, or at least ask questions about who beside the doctor(s) with whom coordinated the procedure will participate in the process of performing the procedure, as well as performing pre and post procedure supporting activities. But how many of us are savvy enough about any given medical procedure to know just how many, who and what kind of professionals will participate in the procedure/care delivery? I submit that few folks who don't actually work in medicine have the faintest idea. Even knowing that sort of thing, is it at all reasonable to expect a patient to build his or her own team of professionals based around who is and is not in the insurer's network?

Looking at who cares whether all of the service providers are "in network," what does one find?
  • Patients care because it affects their out of pocket cost for care.
  • Insurers care because it affects their reimbursement rates.
  • Hospitals don't have an intrinsic reason to care because they want efficient operations and top quality care giving professionals, not professionals who are in this or that network.
  • Doctors and other professionals don't care; they get paid a rate for performing a service.
Where does that leave the patient? In a battle against huge insurance companies that operate in an ostensibly monopolistically competitive market structure, but what is in reality far more akin to oligopoly.

I have not had this problem personally but I dislike dealing with subcontractors and the like.

When my medical bills take months to show up I do hassle the involved parties a bit. One took six months to bill me and I made them swear on a recorded line I would get no more bills from anyone who worked at their facility before I paid. That took 3 phone calls. They were none the more happy when I told them I was recording them on my cell.

Back to the big picture, I think this is one of the problems with how laws are applied to businesses. It seems we took a step in the right direction a few years back when if I recall McDonald's were held partially responsible for working conditions at their franchises.

Forum List

Back