Proud Conservative Democrat

MaggieMae

Reality bits
Apr 3, 2009
By now, if you've read any of my posts, you know that I lean more to the left than the right. My concern is primarily the polarization (worse than ever) over what should be a middle ground in these trying financial times.

I'm a fiscal conservative who also believes that humanity trumps ideology. That said, billions have already been spent which favor corporate and individual wealth while the middle- and lower-classes have been stuck in neutral. There is much room for redistributing some of the vast government subsidies in favor of domestic programs that have far too long been put on the back burner.

To me, it's a matter of fairness, rather than a "redistribution" of wealth, as Republicans claim as their #1 talking point.

The huge investment in social programs proposed by Obama should not be seen as money down the drain creating nothing but enormous deficits with no benefits to our society. He won't get all he wants; he knows that. But unless priorities such as health care, education and energy are put out there within his first year in office, they all will once again be 86'd as "something we'll worry about later, when we have the money." Well guess what, folks. We'll NEVER have the CASH in the Treasury, but eventually government investment in these vital areas will prove to be worth the deficit spending at the outset.

We can't be a player on the world stage in the 21st Century lagging behind in those crucial areas.

The huge investment in social programs proposed by Obama should not be seen as money down the drain creating nothing but enormous deficits with no benefits to our society. He won't get all he wants; he knows that. But unless priorities such as health care, education and energy are put out there within his first year in office, they all will once again be 86'd as "something we'll worry about later, when we have the money." Well guess what, folks. We'll NEVER have the CASH in the Treasury, but eventually government investment in these vital areas will prove to be worth the deficit spending at the outset.

So how do you propose we pay for these social programs?

By now, if you've read any of my posts, you know that I lean more to the left than the right. My concern is primarily the polarization (worse than ever) over what should be a middle ground in these trying financial times.

And here I was hoping for more blue dogs. You aren't a conservative democrat, dear. You're just a straight up liberal.

Well so far, it's quite obvious I've attracted all the nonothings from the right. Do some homework, boys and girls and then join the thinking adults. What part of deficit spending will be necessary (regardless which party is in power) don't you *get*???

1. I'm a blue-dog democrat.

2. There is a board for that debate. This isn't it. This board is for introductions.

3. In the future, if you wish to refer to other users as "nonothings," the proper spelling is KNOW-nothings. Your use of a misspelling to imply that others are stupid makes you look like an idiot.

Hope that helps.

I'm a fiscal conservative who also believes that humanity trumps ideology. That said, billions have already been spent which favor corporate and individual wealth while the middle- and lower-classes have been stuck in neutral. There is much room for redistributing some of the vast government subsidies in favor of domestic programs that have far too long been put on the back burner.

To me, it's a matter of fairness, rather than a "redistribution" of wealth, as Republicans claim as their #1 talking point.

We can't be a player on the world stage in the 21st Century lagging behind in those crucial areas.

I disagree that the potential returns argument justifies a long term deficit. Every borrower uses that excuse. The Republicans used that excuse. It is lame, IMO.

If Bush wants to spend money on wars or the military or Obama wants to spend money on health care and infrastructure -- you RAISE TAXES AND PAY FOR IT. Passing the buck to future generations is immoral, has hurt our country and will hurt our country and is ultimately inexcusable, IMO.

1. I'm a blue-dog democrat.

2. There is a board for that debate. This isn't it. This board is for introductions.

3. In the future, if you wish to refer to other users as "nonothings," the proper spelling is KNOW-nothings. Your use of a misspelling to imply that others are stupid makes you look like an idiot.

Hope that helps.

"Nonothings" was intentional, genius. Also, I didn't start the mudslinging in my intro. You and your catty pals did.

"Nonothings" was intentional, genius.

You meant to look like an idiot? Kudos. Not many can pull it off so well. You must have practice.

Also, I didn't start the mudslinging in my intro. You and your catty pals did.

You claimed to be a conservative democrat, and then launched straight into basic northeastern democrat. As an actual conservative democrat, I know a non-conservative when I see one.

The only conservatives left in the democratic party are the blue dogs.

"Nonothings" was intentional, genius.

You meant to look like an idiot? Kudos. Not many can pull it off so well. You must have practice.

Also, I didn't start the mudslinging in my intro. You and your catty pals did.

You claimed to be a conservative democrat, and then launched straight into basic northeastern democrat. As an actual conservative democrat, I know a non-conservative when I see one.

The only conservatives left in the democratic party are the blue dogs.

They're still Democrats. Without going into every single issue of contention between conservatives and liberals, I don't see how you can be so judgmental. I believe I explained in broad terms that I believe money has been spent just as unwisely on conservative agendas to the detriment of social agendas and it's time to even it out. If that's not taking the middle ground, then you really can't claim to be an expert on centrist policies.

Despite the Blue Dogs' differing degrees of economic and social conservatism, they generally work to promote positions within the House of Representatives that bridge the gap between center-right and left-wing politics. Blue Dogs are an important swing vote on spending bills and as a result have gained influence in Congress out of proportion to their numbers.

Oh, and the "nonothing" label came to me as a simple play on words, a word warp game we played in high school, long before the Internet's abbreviated language. They're homophones, such as "Looks like theirs know gnus today." Occasionally, the label is right-on (pun intended).

They're still Democrats. Without going into every single issue of contention between conservatives and liberals, I don't see how you can be so judgmental. I believe I explained in broad terms that I believe money has been spent just as unwisely on conservative agendas to the detriment of social agendas and it's time to even it out. If that's not taking the middle ground, then you really can't claim to be an expert on centrist policies.

Except that we're spending money we don't have and borrowing it from our children. That is inherently ANTI-Conservative. For the record, the conservative democrats supported NEITHER Bush overspending OR Obama overspending.

So, just call yourself a democrat, and we'll be happy. You simply aren't conservative.

New Topics

Forum List

Back