Protesting on the Mall this weekend

I went to a Tea Party last July 4, mainly because my wife wanted to go, but to be honest I had a lot of sympathy for the view that public spending was out of control.

Unfortunately, despite the ostensible focus, a huge number of attendees seemed to be there to advance a wider agenda. There was a hardcore religious element, there was an "Obama is a Commie" element, birthers, healthcare agitators, pro life campaigners.

So many of the speeches took in subject matter that was almost entirely unrelated (the only connection seemingly a desire to kick Obama / Democrats for any policy they proposed) to what was supposed to be the main theme that the message about tax was almost completely lost.

I have such a problem with the objectives of some of the other groups that attended that day that I would never go to another tea party. It's a real shame that what was purported to be a grassroots movement has been hijacked by GOP activists and is being used as a party-political stick to beat (an in many cases misrepresent) any proposed Democrat policy.

This turn of events does not surprise me, but it does disappoint me.

And there you have it.

Not sure what Reagan has to do with the thousdands going to Washington DC tomorrow to protest this abomination of a health "reform" bill.

At any rate, word is the turnout will be significant - upwards of 50,000 or so people - which will likely dwarf the 5000 or so union thugs who are bussing their way there tomorrow as well...

He's just pointing out the hypocrisy of the right again. You idiots STILL don't get it.

[You guys mock, but I think you are being very naive about what's going on.

No we aren't. Why do you think we were raising holy hell when bush was squadering BILLIONS (now trillions) in Iraq, while you guys sat back and called us "surrender monkeys" and "traitors". I see the teabag party as "the sour grapes" party and nothing else.

you have to laugh the repigs rewriting history- then just as they are trying to do now- its as if they haven't realized that there is tape of things they said and did. apparently they realize their followers are truly stupid.

"Voters and politicians became anesthetized to big deficits," Moore recalled. "Reagan was running these big deficits, and liberals argued it was going to be Armageddon. We were going to ruin the economy. Interest rates were going to go through the roof. And none of these things happened." (LOL)

The fiscal shift in the Reagan years was staggering. In January 1981, when Reagan declared the federal budget to be "out of control," the deficit had reached almost $74 billion, the federal debt $930 billion. Within two years, the deficit was $208 billion. The debt by 1988 totaled $2.6 trillion. In those eight years, the United States moved from being the world's largest international creditor to the largest debtor nation.

To some economists, the impact was clear. Interest rates rose in the late 1980s and early 1990s, the economy slowed, then slipped into recession, and productivity barely advanced. Americans feared their nation had slipped into the shadows of Japan and Germany.

Reagan's "economic policy . . . was a disaster," University of California at Berkeley economic historian J. Bradford DeLong wrote this past weekend on his Web site. "The tax cuts made America a more unequal place, and the deficits slowed economic growth in the 1980s significantly."

I'm not sure where you're quoting from, but there's a requirement to provide a link (copyright law).

All you had to do was look back two posts.....jeez

washingtonpost.com: Reagan Policies Gave Green Light to Red Ink

Jeez indeed. It was the different poster thing that threw me. Thanks for your assistance.

Not sure what Reagan has to do with the thousands going to Washington DC tomorrow to protest this abomination of a health "reform" bill.

At any rate, word is the turnout will be significant - upwards of 50,000 or so people - which will likely dwarf the 5000 or so union thugs who are bussing their way there tomorrow as well...

If you read the post above mine...then read my first sentence of non-quoted material...you'd be able to answer this yourself.

I went to a Tea Party last July 4, mainly because my wife wanted to go, but to be honest I had a lot of sympathy for the view that public spending was out of control.

Unfortunately, despite the ostensible focus, a huge number of attendees seemed to be there to advance a wider agenda. There was a hardcore religious element, there was an "Obama is a Commie" element, birthers, healthcare agitators, pro life campaigners.

So many of the speeches took in subject matter that was almost entirely unrelated (the only connection seemingly a desire to kick Obama / Democrats for any policy they proposed) to what was supposed to be the main theme that the message about tax was almost completely lost.

I have such a problem with the objectives of some of the other groups that attended that day that I would never go to another tea party. It's a real shame that what was purported to be a grassroots movement has been hijacked by GOP activists and is being used as a party-political stick to beat (an in many cases misrepresent) any proposed Democrat policy.

One of the best posts in weeks describing the Tea Baggers

Mix in a few who are genuinely concerned with taxes and deficits with Republican faithful, Obama haters, white supremicists, birthers and anyyone else who has an anti-government agenda and you have a Tea Party

They you have to get involved at steer it in the right direction.

Thanks so much for taking the time to post this. It was very informative.

AFL-CIO
America's Voice
American Jewish Community
Catholic Legal Immigration Network, Inc.
Center for American Progress
Farmworker Justice
Jewish Council on Urban Affairs
Jobs for America Now
League of United American Citizens (LULAC)
National Council of La Raza
National Immigration Law Center
SEIU
UFCW
United Farm Workers
US Conference of Catholic Bishops
World Relief

gay

you have to laugh the repigs rewriting history- then just as they are trying to do now- its as if they haven't realized that there is tape of things they said and did. apparently they realize their followers are truly stupid.

"Voters and politicians became anesthetized to big deficits," Moore recalled. "Reagan was running these big deficits, and liberals argued it was going to be Armageddon. We were going to ruin the economy. Interest rates were going to go through the roof. And none of these things happened." (LOL)

The fiscal shift in the Reagan years was staggering. In January 1981, when Reagan declared the federal budget to be "out of control," the deficit had reached almost $74 billion, the federal debt $930 billion. Within two years, the deficit was $208 billion. The debt by 1988 totaled $2.6 trillion. In those eight years, the United States moved from being the world's largest international creditor to the largest debtor nation.

To some economists, the impact was clear. Interest rates rose in the late 1980s and early 1990s, the economy slowed, then slipped into recession, and productivity barely advanced. Americans feared their nation had slipped into the shadows of Japan and Germany.

Reagan's "economic policy . . . was a disaster," University of California at Berkeley economic historian J. Bradford DeLong wrote this past weekend on his Web site. "The tax cuts made America a more unequal place, and the deficits slowed economic growth in the 1980s significantly."

Which begs the question ( given Obama has authorized 2 trillion in less than a year )................

If Reagan was "a disaster"..........is there even a name to describe Obama??

That lefties even bring this up is fascinating to me................kinda like a neighbor getting pissed that the poodle took a little dump in front of his house, yet the same neighbor marches about 40 cows down the street every morning leaving the road a virtual manure pit!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

And there you have it.
And I've been to a protest and didn't hear any mention of a god at all.

There you have it.

Forum List

Back