Protesters Carrying Rifle Outside Obama Rally

I don't remember anybody taking guns to a protest against Bush. Would you care to point out where this has happened.

This was intended as a threat, and that is how most citizens will view it. You wingnuts are moving well outside the boundries of sanity.

this was not a threat.. there were no open threats.. there was no resemblance of any other threat.. .and the Secret Service was not involved on any higher level because of it... the only ones viewing it as any sort of threat are you far left wingnut moonbats....

As stated, if this were in a place/state where open carry was against the law, or if there was threatening action being taken with any weapon, I would be whole hog against it... but this was not the case...

Oh.. and BTW.. neg rep right back at you, moonbat

WTF(udge)? Me a left wing moonbat! Now, I have been called many things, but this is the lowest of lows Dave!

Immie

You are willing to state the reality of the obvious, that makes you a left winger on this board.

this was not a threat.. there were no open threats.. there was no resemblance of any other threat.. .and the Secret Service was not involved on any higher level because of it... the only ones viewing it as any sort of threat are you far left wingnut moonbats....

As stated, if this were in a place/state where open carry was against the law, or if there was threatening action being taken with any weapon, I would be whole hog against it... but this was not the case...

WTF(udge)? Me a left wing moonbat! Now, I have been called many things, but this is the lowest of lows Dave!

Immie

You are willing to state the reality of the obvious, that makes you a left winger on this board.

Yup.

What do you suppose their message was?

George Washington once said; "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. To secure peace, securely and happiness, the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good."

The 2nd amendment grants us the right to protect our liberty, even from an abusive government.

The message was, "We are prepared to shoot you if you proceed with this course of action." Their message was that they are not above assassination in order to get their way.

Regarding the Washington quote, please don't tell me you think these people were protecting the protesters.

Immie

Nice attempt to read more into the event itself...

Quite frankly, this 'statement' was less of a threat than the people calling for Bush to be tried and executed for 'war crimes'...

Again.. these people were showing their right to peacefully bear arms under the laws of the country and their state.. there was no action or threat shown or given against the President or anyone else...

Would I personally have chosen to do it? No... Just as I do not personally go around with signs of Obama with crosshairs pained on or any other 'over the top' show... but there was nothing wrong, nor was there any implied violence, in what was done

I don't remember anybody taking guns to a protest against Bush. Would you care to point out where this has happened.

This was intended as a threat, and that is how most citizens will view it. You wingnuts are moving well outside the boundries of sanity.

Immie

Uhhh.. that was to the left wing moonbat Old Rocks in the head.. as shown by who was quoted

It is not a "clear threat".. it is a demonstration and expression of the rights they hold dear... there is no correlation between a law abiding citizen carrying a weapon in demonstration and some 'lunatic' trying some forceful action against the President

Dave, as said earlier, if this were a 2nd Amendment protest, I might agree with you, but this is different and as far as I can see these people were sending messages to the President. I think those messages are inappropriate.

Immie

George Washington once said; "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. To secure peace, securely and happiness, the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good."

The 2nd amendment grants us the right to protect our liberty, even from an abusive government.
FYI
A FAKE QUOTE, attributed to George Washington that simply was never said by him.

BOGUS, FAKE & QUESTIONABLE QUOTES
FALSELY ATTRIBUTED TO THE
FOUNDING FATHERS

Even though the Founding Fathers and their contemporaries were quite clear about their support for the individual right to keep and bear arms, some overzealous people have attempted to falsely attribute a few additional quotes to their legacy in order to defeat the gun grabbers. Creating bogus quotes is wrong and counterproductive. It harms the rest of the message sent by any person utilizing a proven fake quote, even if the person is unintentionally and unknowingly repeating a made-up statement.

The fact is that the gun haters lie enough for everyone involved in the gun control debate. Resorting to their methods only lowers us to their level, and therefore it is best to keep our side honest.

While it is impossible to prove that these are phony quotes, no historian has been able to verify the original citation required for authenticity. It is better to be safe than sorry. Check out how an anti-gun judge discredited a letter writer by clicking on this sentence.

For this reason, if you locate any websites innocently citing any of the following quotes, please forward the URL of this page to that page’s webmaster. Furthermore, if you can locate proof that one of these quotes is in fact valid, please forward the information HERE!

George Washington

Perhaps the most ‘infamous’ bogus saying attributed to a Founding Father is the ‘liberty teeth’ quote alleged to have been said by George Washington. One version of this tale reads:

Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The church, the plow, the prairie wagon, and citizen's firearms are indelibly related.

From the moment the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to ensure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable.
Every corner of this land knows firearms, and more than 99 99/100 percent of them by their silence indicate they are in safe and sane hands.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference; they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

When firearms, go all goes; we need them every hour.

This has several variations including "hour" for "moment" and sometimes added as part of an actual Washington quote "A free people ought not only to be armed…" The various citations are even more numerous than different wordings: Address to the Second Session of the First U.S. Congress; Speech to Congress of January 7, 1790, printed in the Boston Independent Chronicle, January 14, 1790; The Federalist No. 53; Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 1785.

The problems with this quote are many. (1) Prairie wagons were not being utilized and the prairies were uninhabited by European settlers at the time. (2) The percentage use and other modern English phrases such as "safe and sane" are suspicious and atypical for the time period. (3) The bold proclamation of needing firearms is odd since nobody was considering gun control against law-abiding people at the time. (4) Too many convenient topics are covered in one passage.

Despite all these problems, could parts of this quote be true? Maybe. But until it can be properly documented, stick to the many proven pro-gun quotes from George Washington and other Founding Fathers.

Another questionable statement attributed to George Washington reads as follows:

Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

While this quote is often attributed to George Washington in his Farewell Address, this quote cannot be found there. Many people have tried to verify its origin, but cannot confirm its authenticity.

Dan Gifford tried to track this quote down but was unsuccessful for his article. See: "The Conceptual Foundations of Anglo-American Jurisprudence in Religion and Reason", The Tennessee Law Review: A Second Amendment Symposium Issue, Page 801, footnote 201. This issue of the Tennessee Law Review is part of the SAF bookshelf.

Perhaps the American Freedom Library available from Laissez Faire Books features the best history of this alleged quote on their Version 3.1 CD-ROM. The searchable CD-ROM notes that the above statement is:

"Attributed to George Washington.—Frank J. Wilstach, A Dictionary of Similes, 2d ed., p. 526 (1924). This can be found with minor variations in wording and in punctuation, and with ‘fearful’ for ‘troublesome,’ in George Seldes, The Great Quotations, p. 727 (1966). Unverified. In his most recent book of quotations, The Great Thoughts (1985), Seldes Says, p. 441, col. 2, footnote, this paragraph ‘although credited to the 'Farewell' [address] cannot be found in it. Lawson Hamblin, who owns a facsimile, and Horace Peck, America's foremost authority on quotations, informed me this paragraph is apocryphal [fake].’"

Bogus Founder Quotes

We who own guns and use them like to believe that we are the majority in this nation. But we are not. We are now a far more urban nation that a rural one. And there are many who see no need for armed citizens in our present society. There are many others that are, at present, neutral on this subject. There have been record numbers of threats to President Obama. If someone actually carries out that threat, the presently neutral people on the subject of gun control will no longer be neutral. And they will be angry, and see the type of people that were carrying the guns at these rallies as accomplices in the assination.

You freakin' wingnuts are setting up a horrible situation.

Gotta remmeber ta bring ma shooin iron next time!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAH!

lol ...

I was just thinking, "You what will calm these people down? Alcohol."

nawww,, drag out the black panthers with their nightsticks.. nobody on the left had a problem with that when we all went to the polls.. hells bells the obamalama justice department just dropped the case.. so I don't know why youse babies are whining about now!
Rep. Frank R. Wolf of Virginia, a senior Republican on the House Appropriations Committee, obtained an opinion Thursday from the Congressional Research Service (CRS) affirming that charges could legally be refiled without violating the double-jeopardy clause of the U.S. Constitution and said he thought Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. was obligated to refile the case.

"In all fairness, he has a duty to protect those seeking to vote and I remain deeply troubled by this questionable dismissal of an important voter-intimidation case in Philadelphia," Mr. Wolf told The Washington Times.

Lawmakers seek refiling in Panther case - Washington Times

The problem is those disturbed by this don't believe in the Constitution. ;)

Politicians can and do take away your constitutional rights without firing a shot-----so who are the really dangerous people at this rally ?

Completely agree -- just look at how many rights are taken away by the Patriot Act!

I'd like to know how the patriot act caused any loss of rights to you personally, how did it affect yew? what did your lawyer say? on what grounds do you deserve compensation? TIA.

Just keep the weapons at home!!! There is no need for them, if I am at a rally and someone comes up with one prepare to get your ass handed to you. Especailly if I have my kid with me your ass is forfeit.:eusa_whistle:

Politicians can and do take away your constitutional rights without firing a shot-----so who are the really dangerous people at this rally ?

Completely agree -- just look at how many rights are taken away by the Patriot Act!

I'd like to know how the patriot act caused any loss of rights to you personally, how did it affect yew? what did your lawyer say? on what grounds do you deserve compensation? TIA.

How did it effect me personally? I don't think it has. I don't know if my phone conversations were tapped by the Bush Administration. How could it have? I could've had a Farmer's Almanac in my car and I could've been stopped, pulled over, searched and detained without any cause whatsoever other than a policeman's "curiosity." The 4th amendment was completely void and null during the Bush administration.

The message was, "We are prepared to shoot you if you proceed with this course of action." Their message was that they are not above assassination in order to get their way.

Regarding the Washington quote, please don't tell me you think these people were protecting the protesters.

Immie

I think they simply wanted to exercise their constitutional right. I would think that if a person had any plans of assassinating anyone, they wouldn't be openly displaying their weapon.

Immie

Uhhh.. that was to the left wing moonbat Old Rocks in the head.. as shown by who was quoted

Hehe, I figured as much, but then note the plurality of the colored/bold statement!

FWIW no offense taken.

Immie

I think they simply wanted to exercise their constitutional right. I would think that if a person had any plans of assassinating anyone, they wouldn't be openly displaying their weapon.

I think it was an implied threat, really no different than bringing a noose to such an event.

Immie

Yes, I agree, the law abiding citizens, there to supposedly just display their rights might be doing just that, voicing an opinion...but why this day, why in front of the president....?

Doing this, puts the president at a huge RISK....not from the law abiding ones, but the law abiding ones GIVE GOOD COVER for an assassin that does want to kill him....

THIS SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED....it could be very harmful to our president and it clearly is not a safe situation for him....and makes it ten times harder for for the secret service to keep our president safe from a looney tune assassin.

Can;t you all understand something as simple as that....?

Dave, as said earlier, if this were a 2nd Amendment protest, I might agree with you, but this is different and as far as I can see these people were sending messages to the President. I think those messages are inappropriate.

Immie

FYI
A FAKE QUOTE, attributed to George Washington that simply was never said by him.

BOGUS, FAKE & QUESTIONABLE QUOTES
FALSELY ATTRIBUTED TO THE
FOUNDING FATHERS

Even though the Founding Fathers and their contemporaries were quite clear about their support for the individual right to keep and bear arms, some overzealous people have attempted to falsely attribute a few additional quotes to their legacy in order to defeat the gun grabbers. Creating bogus quotes is wrong and counterproductive. It harms the rest of the message sent by any person utilizing a proven fake quote, even if the person is unintentionally and unknowingly repeating a made-up statement.

The fact is that the gun haters lie enough for everyone involved in the gun control debate. Resorting to their methods only lowers us to their level, and therefore it is best to keep our side honest.

While it is impossible to prove that these are phony quotes, no historian has been able to verify the original citation required for authenticity. It is better to be safe than sorry. Check out how an anti-gun judge discredited a letter writer by clicking on this sentence.

For this reason, if you locate any websites innocently citing any of the following quotes, please forward the URL of this page to that page’s webmaster. Furthermore, if you can locate proof that one of these quotes is in fact valid, please forward the information HERE!

George Washington

Perhaps the most ‘infamous’ bogus saying attributed to a Founding Father is the ‘liberty teeth’ quote alleged to have been said by George Washington. One version of this tale reads:

Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The church, the plow, the prairie wagon, and citizen's firearms are indelibly related.

From the moment the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to ensure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable.
Every corner of this land knows firearms, and more than 99 99/100 percent of them by their silence indicate they are in safe and sane hands.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference; they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

When firearms, go all goes; we need them every hour.

This has several variations including "hour" for "moment" and sometimes added as part of an actual Washington quote "A free people ought not only to be armed…" The various citations are even more numerous than different wordings: Address to the Second Session of the First U.S. Congress; Speech to Congress of January 7, 1790, printed in the Boston Independent Chronicle, January 14, 1790; The Federalist No. 53; Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 1785.

The problems with this quote are many. (1) Prairie wagons were not being utilized and the prairies were uninhabited by European settlers at the time. (2) The percentage use and other modern English phrases such as "safe and sane" are suspicious and atypical for the time period. (3) The bold proclamation of needing firearms is odd since nobody was considering gun control against law-abiding people at the time. (4) Too many convenient topics are covered in one passage.

Despite all these problems, could parts of this quote be true? Maybe. But until it can be properly documented, stick to the many proven pro-gun quotes from George Washington and other Founding Fathers.

Another questionable statement attributed to George Washington reads as follows:

Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

While this quote is often attributed to George Washington in his Farewell Address, this quote cannot be found there. Many people have tried to verify its origin, but cannot confirm its authenticity.

Dan Gifford tried to track this quote down but was unsuccessful for his article. See: "The Conceptual Foundations of Anglo-American Jurisprudence in Religion and Reason", The Tennessee Law Review: A Second Amendment Symposium Issue, Page 801, footnote 201. This issue of the Tennessee Law Review is part of the SAF bookshelf.

Perhaps the American Freedom Library available from Laissez Faire Books features the best history of this alleged quote on their Version 3.1 CD-ROM. The searchable CD-ROM notes that the above statement is:

"Attributed to George Washington.—Frank J. Wilstach, A Dictionary of Similes, 2d ed., p. 526 (1924). This can be found with minor variations in wording and in punctuation, and with ‘fearful’ for ‘troublesome,’ in George Seldes, The Great Quotations, p. 727 (1966). Unverified. In his most recent book of quotations, The Great Thoughts (1985), Seldes Says, p. 441, col. 2, footnote, this paragraph ‘although credited to the 'Farewell' [address] cannot be found in it. Lawson Hamblin, who owns a facsimile, and Horace Peck, America's foremost authority on quotations, informed me this paragraph is apocryphal [fake].’"

Bogus Founder Quotes

Show me a copy of Washington's Address to 1st session of Congress and then I might beleive you.

They had a right to carry arms. They broke no laws. I don't see what the problem is.

You're kidding, right? People have the right to free speech as well, but that doesn't make Fred Phelps and his gang anything other than scum. Carrying the guns was an implied threat, and it just looks stupid to try to pretend that's not the case or that its a-ok simply because they were doing it to the "other side."

I think it was an implied threat, really no different than bringing a noose to such an event.

Immie

I think those that have a problem with it are just being paranoid.

Immie

I think those that have a problem with it are just being paranoid.

Maybe so, but I see it as a threat to the President and something that I view as uncalled for. And paranoid is not the right word for it. I have a problem with it. Paranoid, means being afraid that everyone is out to get the paranoid person. I'm not worried they are out to get me. But, I understand what you mean. I just think this is the wrong message to send in America. It is something that seems like it would come from the citizens of Iraq or Afghanistan.

Immie

Forum List

Back