Protest Against Potential Pit Bull Ban

Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
My friends little runt was killed by a pit bull the other day. The owners are losers, but pit bulls still give me the creeps.

Pit bull owners rally in Toronto against proposed ban; call it wrong solution
Mike Oliveira

Canadian Press

October 23, 2004

The proposed law follows several cases of gruesome pit bull attacks against people and other dogs.

The much-maligned pit bull was celebrated by animal lovers in front of the legislature in Toronto on Saturday, in reaction to a call by Ontario's attorney general to ban the breed.

What was expected to be a modest gathering of a couple dozen supporters greatly exceeded expectations, organizers said. The crowd grew so large that even with a megaphone, many strained to hear the speakers' speeches.

Dozens carried placards and signs with slogans like Punish The Deed Not The Breed and one young girl held a handwritten sign reading For Pit's Sake, I Sleep With Them!.

Ontario Attorney General Michael Bryant called pit bulls "ticking time bombs" this month in announcing legislation that would stop the breeding of pit bulls and put severe restrictions on current owners.

But supporters say pit bulls are not born to be killers and the fault should rest with irresponsible owners. Innocent animals should not be punished, said pit bull owner Barbara Roy from Guelph, Ont., who was collecting signatures for a petition to be presented to Bryant.

"There's no evidence proving all pit bulls are predisposed to aggression," Roy said. "The government needs to reconsider their position and look at it from a more scientific point of view."

While the rally was promoted as one for "humans only," several dog owners brought their pit bulls along, which quickly drew crowds of admirers.

The friendly, docile dogs at the protest represent the majority of pit bulls that do not attack and are not dangerous, supporters said.

Bryant said the legislation will be introduced within a month, making it the first such provincial law in Canada.

The proposed law follows several cases of gruesome pit bull attacks against people and other dogs.

Most recently on Friday, a Toronto pet owner was crushed after her Chihuahua was attacked and killed by a pit bull.

The Dog Legislation Council of Canada was among several groups rallying Saturday and a spokesperson said Bryant should expect a legal challenge if the law is passed.
Article

I see no reason to ban pit bulls. They are statistically more dangerous than other dogs, but the owners can't accept that. One has to wonder WHY anyone would want to get a pit bull anyways... given their scientific reputation... a bunch of rebels without a cause protesting here

However, as a dog owner, if I owned a pit bull by chance (let's say I found it as a puppy on the street and rasied it, because I'd never buy one)... and if it was a good dog, I'd be angry about having to muzzle it / make it miserable...

Forum List

Back