Protectionism

Discussion in 'Politics' started by antagon, Sep 3, 2010.

1. antagon

antagon The Man

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Yay or Nay?

How?

Why? Why not?

2. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Most likely it depends on the goods, antagon...and matters of world economics that're beyond me. As to agriculture, I see little reason the US should be importing food stuffs. We ought to prefer to eat our own. Light manufacturing, I think, needs protecting to some degree at least. Heavy manufacturing, no. If we cannot marshall the natural resources and economies of scale, then we should prolly buy foreign made goods.

3. antagon

antagon The Man

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +286
    i'm thinking that the US has suffered from the wrong type of heavy-industry protectionism. i think that had our heavy industries been supported, rather than merely privileged with tariffs quotas and mandates, that their state would not be so grim at the moment. i think subsidy is the formula for protectionism. at least with industry.

i think subsidy has hurt agriculture on the other hand. maybe tariffs and quotas might do us better in that dept. dunno.

4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Protectionism?

Yes

How?

Fair trade policies

Why?

Because I am a nationalist who has seen the pernicious and economically destructive outcome of the last 60 years of these so called FREE TRADE policies.

5. antagon

antagon The Man

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +286
    editec, what do you mean by fair trade policies? do you mean being nice to coffee growers in columbia fair trade?

6. johnrocks

johnrocks Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Absolutely not! I work for my money and I should have the freedom to buy what I want and if that means a car made in China with parts from North Korea or Cuban cigars then I should have the freedom to do so , besides, true free trade would expand commerce, not restrict and that would help our economy grow, what we have now is NOT free trade, it's managed trade.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  7. antagon

antagon The Man

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +286
    it is possible that true free trade might expand commerce on an international scale, but countries have to concern themselves with the prosperity within their borders. introducing externalities to commerce is the way which governments employ a nation's economy to serve the concern of national prosperity. do you believe that a world economy is realistic? what makes you think that true free trade will make our economy grow?

8. johnrocks

johnrocks Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +279
    If we allowed true free trade, markets would open up for our products from Cuba to Brazil to Asia. There are emerging markets out there that we can't even compete with to even see if it would make our market grow.

I'm not saying that I KNOW that it would or wouldn't but I think that I should have the freedom to buy from who I want and I have enough confidence in America's ability to compete with anyone that I'm willing to support free trade; not the managed trade that we now have.

9. bigrebnc1775

bigrebnc1775 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,830
    You bashed me for this in another thread

10. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,729
    I say yay especially when it comes to the US producing and utilizing her own sources of energy.