Protectionism: who would it hurt the most

rtwngAvngr said:
I'm not denying there would a huge global impact to COMPLETELY pull out. THe QUESTION is: who would recover the quickest?

BVBM is right. Fiat currency combined with legitimization of dictatorships have screwed things up. I'm not against trade, I'm against the way it's being conducted.

So do you suggest we get back on the gold standard as a way to further shore up the dollar?

gop_jeff said:
So do you suggest we get back on the gold standard as a way to further shore up the dollar?

I don't know. I don't know if there's enough gold to back every dollar.

Maybe the dollar plummeting is good. Our exports would become cheaper for everyone maybe we could reconstitute our manufacturing economy. I'm not sure though.

rtwngAvngr said:
I don't know. I don't know if there's enough gold to back every dollar.

Maybe the dollar plummeting is good. Our exports would become cheaper for everyone maybe we could reconstitute our manufacturing economy. I'm not sure though.

A weak doallr means the dollar has less buying power. That means there will be less demand for it worldwide, so the US gov't will have a larger supply of dollars. That means inflation.

gop_jeff said:
A weak doallr means the dollar has less buying power. That means there will be less demand for it worldwide, so the US gov't will have a larger supply of dollars. That means inflation.

And other currencies become stronger relative to ours, increasing their buying power of american goods, so we may be able to actually start making stuff again.

This is still getting off the main question: WHo could recover the fastest from a collapse of the system? I believe we could.

rtwngAvngr said:
And other currencies become stronger relative to ours, increasing their buying power of american goods, so we may be able to actually start making stuff again.

This is still getting off the main question: WHo could recover the fastest from a collapse of the system? I believe we could.

Maybe if the world didn't decide to have a dogpile on the US.

rtwngAvngr said:

But it would still be more expensive to buy American goods because our labor is more expensive.

But if the whole system collasped, we would be able to recover fastest, I agree.

gop_jeff said:
But it would still be more expensive to buy American goods because our labor is more expensive.

But if the whole system collasped, we would be able to recover fastest, I agree.

Our labor is more expensive, because out cost of living is higher, because we're being gouged by the system. Insidious.

ok. Im getting dizzy.

Said1 said:
Because the infrastructure still exists. The difference between the developed and underdevloped world.

And we have that good ole american spirit!

Said1 said:
Do I sense sarcasm?

Look at the literacy rate in your average Banana Repubic, as low at 40% in some countries.

Working at the mall can suck intelligence right out of one's skull!

Said1 said:
It's a job.
Yup, not working at all is not mind expanding. I know I had a hard time of it for those 14 years, and that was with kids to take care of!

Forum List

Back