Protectionism: who would it hurt the most

mom4 said:
Where did you get your smileys? I am trying to download them from smileycentral.com. It's not going well. I'm such a technodunce.

Just various sites around the internet.. I save them as I find them..the ones worth keeping, anyway.. Smiley Central is a PITA, IMO...

gop_jeff said:
I was hoping someone would swoon over all the work I put into that!

I would but people might get the wrong idea.

Good and accurate work tho----protectionism is suicide.

gop_jeff said:
I was hoping someone would swoon over all the work I put into that!

:swooooooooooon:

<i>*throws hand back against forehead in a grand gesture, and drops to the floor*</i>

(Better, Mom?)

Shattered said:
:swooooooooooon:

<i>*throws hand back against forehead in a grand gesture, and drops to the floor*</i>

(Better, Mom?)
Weeeeeellll.... I guess your smiley was better. :D

gop_jeff said:
Let's just say that, beginning on April 1st, we pulled out of the world economy and refused to trade with any other countries. Here's what would happen:

1. A run on all foreign goods. Prices would spike on, well, lots and lots of stuff.

2. Higher prices for remaining goods that are made in America. By the way, there's not a whole lot of that left.

3. Food prices would plummet, since our farms are excellent. But the GOP (to their absolute shame and discredit) would surely increase the sit-on-your-ass-and-be-lazy payme-- I mean, the farm subsidies, so prices would remain "fair" for farmers.

4. Gas prices would likely double. On the plus side, we might start drilling in ANWR sometime this century.

5. As prices remain high, the average consumer would have less and less free cash to go around. That means companies that market entertainment and/or luxuries would feel the squeeze. Eventually, the US would hit depression mode.

6. Since there is a lack of manufacturing plants in America, we'd have to start building more of them, then start manufacturing all of our own goods. That would take years to get going. But, even after we did all that, prices would still be sky high because of labor unions, and the fact that there would be little competition.

There's no doubt it would have a lot of negatives. But I believe america could pull out of the devastation FIRST and be MOST SUCCESSFUL aferward. As it is now, we're allowing ourselves to rendered insignifant through market irregularities that are being manipulated EXPLICITLY to destroy america. I know as part of the military industrial complex you're immune from this. Think of the people, however. When we were told globalization would force americans to learn better, more thought intensive skills, we could accept it. But now white color and intellectual jobs of all kinds are also being sent overseas. We're being priced out of the market by forces beyond our control. Everyone is allowed to engage in world trade to the extent that they feel it benefits their nation. It's not good for us anymore in the long run.

Remember, the question is who would it hurt THE MOST. And as a follow up, who could recover the fastest? The USA, DAMMIT!

Some people live in a bubble...immune from the results of outsourcing and insourcing...they may want to rethink their stance as it may very well affect their own kids and grandkids...

See: 2006 Index of Economic Freedom...Economic Freedom Category

www.heritage.org/research/features/index/countries.cfm

As you will see there are few non protectionist countries in the blue...the US being one...and we are getting the shaft! Click on each country of interest and see their actual policies!

archangel said:
Some people live in a bubble...immune from the results of outsourcing and insourcing...they may want to rethink their stance as it may very well affect their own kids and grandkids...

See: 2006 Index of Economic Freedom...Economic Freedom Category

www.heritage.org/research/features/index/countries.cfm

As you will see there are few non protectionist countries in the blue...the US being one...and we are getting the shaft! Click on each country of interest and see their actual policies!

There are other sides:

Creation of US jobs, not McD's either:

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/invest/extra/P79592.asp

Acknowledges some will be hurt, but what they should do to update skills:

http://money.cnn.com/2004/03/30/news/economy/outsourcing/

What US companies and individuals need to do, with an economy that isn't going to go back:

http://builder.com.com/5100-6404_14-5210485.html

General pros and cons:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/205207_outsourcedebate27.html

The US has never been seriously 'protectionist' since the Embargo Act, which nearly caused nullification to become an issue. It's not happening folks, so we're all going to have to deal with it.

Kathianne said:
There are other sides:

Creation of US jobs, not McD's either:

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/invest/extra/P79592.asp

Acknowledges some will be hurt, but what they should do to update skills:

http://money.cnn.com/2004/03/30/news/economy/outsourcing/

What US companies and individuals need to do, with an economy that isn't going to go back:

http://builder.com.com/5100-6404_14-5210485.html

General pros and cons:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/205207_outsourcedebate27.html

The US has never been seriously 'protectionist' since the Embargo Act, which nearly caused nullification to become an issue. It's not happening folks, so we're all going to have to deal with it.

And after all our children get these upgraded skills...are they to follow the jobs out of country?(outsourced) or do they accept their fate and take lowballed compensation to compete with say India and Pakistan? I have met people with Masters and PHD's who work at fast food restaurants because their job was outsourced(high tech jobs) and how about the UAE proposal to take over the ports...someone made a point(in this forum) that no US companies could do the job...so much for education eh!

archangel said:
And after all our children get these upgraded skills...are they to follow the jobs out of country?(outsourced) or do they accept their fate and take lowballed compensation to compete with say India and Pakistan? I have met people with Masters and PHD's who work at fast food restaurants because their job was outsourced(high tech jobs) and how about the UAE proposal to take over the ports...someone made a point(in this forum) that no US companies could do the job...so much for education eh!

What in the world were their MS or Phd's in? They are so f'd they don't know how to get a better than fast food? :laugh: On the other hand, I have several friends with advanced degrees, that opted out of teaching to open their own businesses, 2 in construction, one in resume writing.

Teach your kids journeyman trades, they will not go hungry. Teach them to look for an open market for business. Teach them to think, dammit, and stop whining.

Kathianne said:
What in the world were their MS or Phd's in? They are so f'd they don't know how to get a better than fast food? :laugh: On the other hand, I have several friends with advanced degrees, that opted out of teaching to open their own businesses, 2 in construction, one in resume writing.

Teach your kids journeyman trades, they will not go hungry. Teach them to look for an open market for business. Teach them to think, dammit, and stop whining.

Degrees were in information technology...and I suppose your friends who went into construction hire illegals too! After all Americans won't do the job for lowball wages as so many in here state! and writing resumes for who, all the people who lost jobs due to outsourcing...LOL :dunno:

Kathianne said:

Any thinking person would see that the deck is being stacked against america. Why is china allowed to devalue it's currency to corner the market on all production? Advanced degree jobs are going overseas en masse. Americans will just be priced out of the market until the cost of living rises all around the world. Screw that. Let's all put down the kool-aid. Think and wake up.

Don't let the dems monopolize this issue. There are some problems with the way world trade is being conductd, THESE are what need to be corrected. The DEMS solution will just be to put onerous burdens on companies without addressing greater systemic problems.

rtwngAvngr said:
Don't let the dems monopolize this issue. There are some problems with the way world trade is being conductd, THESE are what need to be corrected. The DEMS solution will just be to put onerous burdens on companies without addressing greater systemic problems.

You're correct if you are saying the dems are tilting towards protectionism. That is the way of the unicorn. China has been getting a bye, for fear they will 'turn inward' again, not a chance in hell of that-Taiwan knows that. Bring the fight of opening markets, not closing ours.

Kathianne said:
You're correct if you are saying the dems are tilting towards protectionism. That is the way of the unicorn. China has been getting a bye, for fear they will 'turn inward' again, not a chance in hell of that-Taiwan knows that. Bring the fight of opening markets, not closing ours.

I know that has been the rationale given for allowing china to cheat, basically. I used to accept it. Now I reject it.

Opening markets for whom, multinationals?

rtwngAvngr said:
I know that has been the rationale given for allowing china to cheat, basically. I used to accept it. Now I reject it.

Opening markets for whom, multinationals?
Nope, the government should be getting tough on China, moreso Japan, which has been living off our goodwill and stupidity for much longer. Yes, there are others, but they pale in comparison.

Forum List

Back