protecting the garden in the winter storm watch

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

we have lettuce, spinach and onions coming up....with harsh temps coming..what to do what to do....

IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

look closely under the cloaks you will see...a strand of christmas tree lights...the large bulbs are 20 ft or so long...fitting well into the rows and give off enough heat to keep things from freezing...we did this last year in the blueberry bushes when a late freeze threatened the blooms

IMG_0274.jpg

we also use walls of water

Wow!

You've got a serious investment in that garden.

I'd have used HAY to protect the crops, myself.

It's not only much cheaper, but you can compost it, too.

Still nice work, that garden of yours.

Mine NEVER look that neat.

we could replant but why...we want the fresh food....simple as that...garden fresh food is so different from anything you can buy...so we are protecting it...we buy the cloaks a row at a time..it runs 60 bucks to protect one row..but they last for a long time...about 8 to 10 years...

to let this go and replant would set up back about a month so its worth protecting

You can come work in my garden anytime, Stroll.

Bring money, too, cause you're gonna need it to duplicate on my land what you've done on yours.

more pics from the garden and of the snow....

IMG_0283.jpg

the garden and the lights....

IMG_0281.jpg

thor and jake cause they like to be inside...

IMG_0282.jpg

:clap2: Thanks! I've used hay before, you idea is much better and I am looking forward to watching your Garden grow.

i am too...hoping it will grow...we have put out a strawberry patch...the birds will love those....as much as they do the blueberries...sunday was a big day..i got to pull barbwire...old stuff..that had been there for 30 years on the ground etc...a vet visit to have a nasty rip sewn up is about 300 bucks...so i have been getting as much of it up as i can....i would love to remove the entire fence but the neigbhors have livestock...

but i will post more as we get it done...so far its just been onion sets, beets, bell peppers, broccoli and snap peas..we are eating lettuce and spinach and the asparagus is alive and coming up....

Forum List

Back