Protecting Our Future in Space

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Interesting article.

By David Wright and Laura Grego, Boston Globe
October 3, 2007

Second, space is in danger of becoming weaponized. While space has long supported military forces through reconnaissance, navigation, and communication satellites, there currently are no weapons based in space. The Bush administration, however, has been pushing to develop weapons to deny other countries the use of space; these include space-based interceptors, which could be used to attack satellites. Meanwhile, China's successful test of an antisatellite weapon last January dramatically demonstrated that satellites are already at risk.

for full article:
http://www.boston.com/news/science/articles/2007/10/03/protecting_our_future_in_space/

Interesting article.

By David Wright and Laura Grego, Boston Globe
October 3, 2007

Second, space is in danger of becoming weaponized. While space has long supported military forces through reconnaissance, navigation, and communication satellites, there currently are no weapons based in space. The Bush administration, however, has been pushing to develop weapons to deny other countries the use of space; these include space-based interceptors, which could be used to attack satellites. Meanwhile, China's successful test of an antisatellite weapon last January dramatically demonstrated that satellites are already at risk.

for full article:
http://www.boston.com/news/science/articles/2007/10/03/protecting_our_future_in_space/

We need weapons capable of hitting targets in space. For lots of reasons, but the basic reason is National Defense.

We need weapons capable of hitting targets in space. For lots of reasons, but the basic reason is National Defense.
To me, the ONLY Target in space that we should be aiming at is perhaps a wayward asteroid that may otherwise kill us off. anything else is simply asking for trouble. But that's the war-mongers creed.

no fucking way, RGS. If you advocate putting weapons in space then you are inviting another cold war era arms race and citing "national defense" is pretty fucking lame. I garentee that the first nation to launch missles into space will trigger china and russia doing the same. You might remember that the US isn't number 1 in this space race. Do not seek the prize.

no fucking way, RGS. If you advocate putting weapons in space then you are inviting another cold war era arms race and citing "national defense" is pretty fucking lame. I garentee that the first nation to launch missles into space will trigger china and russia doing the same. You might remember that the US isn't number 1 in this space race. Do not seek the prize.

Did I say IN space? I said weapons that can hit targets in space. Please learn to read. More importantly THAT is what we are researching, weapons that can hit targets in space. No one in our Government is advocating putting missiles IN space, a technology we ALREADY possess.

The article is about weapons in space.

but I digress.

But, since you want to walk the line on this were you similarly convinced of aiming weapons into space when China was busy shooting down Satellites? Do arms races occur because we condemn such behaviour or because we hop on the bandwagon?

The article is about weapons in space.

but I digress.

But, since you want to walk the line on this were you similarly convinced of aiming weapons into space when China was busy shooting down Satellites? Do arms races occur because we condemn such behaviour or because we hop on the bandwagon?
Gung-hoers like RetardedGySgt are concerned only with the Cosmetic appearance of force, without regards to the overall outcome of their actions.

well now hold on a bit..

let's not puts words in his mouth.

I want to see what his answer is for the goose who is mimicking the gander.

It is in our national interest to be able to project force into space. Simple enough for you?

A failure to have the ability to shoot down objects in space leaves us vulnerable to attack and to natural disasters. It abdicates our defense into the realm of " we hope no one else does this" and eliminates any chance to prevent potentially devastating natural disasters.

that same logic began and perpetuated the nuclear arms race.

Again, do we minimize behaviour by acting against it or hopping on the bandwagon?

Hell, dude.. it's in our national interest to dominate the world. Let's chill on the babyboomer rhetoric that hasn't proved helpful for your generation, eh?

that same logic began and perpetuated the nuclear arms race.

Again, do we minimize behaviour by acting against it or hopping on the bandwagon?

Hell, dude.. it's in our national interest to dominate the world. Let's chill on the babyboomer rhetoric that hasn't proved helpful for your generation, eh?

Why lets just disarm, I mean hell we are safe right? Disband our military, eliminate all our nukes, destroy all our missiles. We can have a sit in if someone invades us right? We can DEMAND our enemies respect our peaceful endeavors and depend on the good will of nations to ensure peace and tranquility and all our citizens and companies and assets are safe inside and outside our country.

you don't have to jump the shark, dude.

But, I do think the world would be better served if we stopped stroking nukes like doc holiday teasing his gunfight target by lightly tapping his gun.

Yours is exactly the reason we all had fun competing with russia on who could develop and try to intimidate the other with a nuke arsenal. This isn't conventional warfare where a fleet of ships attacking each other in the pacific is an isolated circumstance. There is more to consider than your nationalism when making excuses for the latest version of an eternal arms race. Stop making excuses for petting your mouse like Lennie from Of Mice and Men. Maybe take a lesson or two from where your opinion put us when the babyboomers were drawing the same conclusions. The day we put weapons in space is the day we condemn the next generation to repeat the same mistakes that your generation did. I'll pass, thanks.

Condemn the behaviour instead of hopping on the bandwagon.

It's the Nagasaki-Hiroshima lesson.

Forum List

Back