Prostate examination

Coffee vs. prostate cancer...
:confused:
Heavy Coffee Drinkers Less Likely to Get Lethal Prostate Cancer
May 19, 2011 - Finding adds to growing body of scientific evidence that coffee has real health benefits
A new study finds that men who drink a lot of coffee are less likely to develop potentially fatal prostate cancer. It's the latest study to show a beneficial effect from one of the world's favorite beverages. The study included about 50,000 men who reported their coffee consumption in questionnaires every four years. Over more than two decades, the moderate coffee drinkers were somewhat less likely to develop any form of prostate cancer. But lead author Kathryn Wilson of the Harvard School of Public Health says the real difference showed up when the researchers looked at the most serious prostate cancers.

"Men who drink six or more cups of coffee per day had a 60 percent lower risk of lethal prostate cancer than men who drank no coffee," she says. "And we saw this reduction in risk for both regular and decaffeinated coffee." Coffee is a chemically complex brew, full of antioxidants and other compounds that may affect the development of prostate cancer. Prostate cancer is the second most common cancer among men worldwide, killing about a quarter-million people a year. Wilson says it's unclear what component or components in coffee may be reducing the prostate cancer risk - that's a target for future research.

In the meantime, she says it's too soon to say that men should drink more coffee just to reduce their risk of aggressive prostate cancer. But she says there is a growing body of scientific evidence that coffee confers a variety of real health benefits. "It's not harmful in terms of heart disease or stroke, and it seems possibly protective for liver cancer, and it's also associated with lower risk of type 2 diabetes. So I think evidence is accumulating that coffee is at least not harmful and possibly beneficial for some health conditions. And so, you know, I think that's a source of relief to a lot of coffee drinkers."

Source

With a name like Colin you must have prostrates on the mind.

That's alright. My middle name is Richard, so I think about the royals alot.

Thank God my Dad didn't call me Dick.

Last edited:

What a warped and twisted mind you must have...chuckle.

btw, Connolly ranks up there with the best of the stand up comics.

Thank God my Dad didn't call me Dick.

Lol! Prostates on the mind? Not any more MW. I posted the Billy Connolly vid just before I went into hospital to have my bladder, prostate and lymphs removed. :( Laughing about it kept me sane. Yeh. And I had that camera team up my dick! :eek:

Talking of Dicks, I remember a boy at school whose name was Richard Sole. The class register was always called in the morning yelling out the initial and surname of pupils. It never failed to raise a titter when it got to R Sole!

Anyway, good to know you have a dick in the middle. :razz:

Talking of prostate examinations, make sure you have a female nurse if ever you ever have to go through this procedure!

Guy went for a prostate examination and as usual was asked to strip off and lay
naked on his side on the bed. The nurse began the examination and said, "At this
stage of the procedure it's quite normal to get an erection".

"I haven't got an erection" said the man.

"No, but I have" replied the nurse. :eek:

Brits develop vaccine to cure prostate cancer in mice...
:confused:
British Doctors Successfully Test Cancer Vaccine in Mice
June 19, 2011 - British researchers say they have developed a vaccine that appears to cure prostate cancer in mice. The vaccine works by triggering the body's own immune system to attack cancer cells while leaving healthy cells alone.
The scientists, writing in the journal Nature Medicine, developed a special vaccine using the genetic code from a healthy human prostate which they inserted into a virus. When the virus was injected into cancer-ridden mice, it triggered the immune system not only to fight off the virus but also to attack the cancer cells.

Researchers have for years tried to produce a cancer vaccine that works like this one and they say it could work for a range of other cancers.

While encouraged by the results in the mice, the scientists say more research is needed, and it may be years before an effective cancer vaccine is ready for humans.

Source

Forum List

Back