Prosecutor in Ferguson grand jury says he knew some witnesses were lying

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010

1. The prosecutor who led the grand jury investigation into the August 9 police shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, said he was aware that some eyewitnesses were lying.
  2. The admission could mean the prosecutor, St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Robert McCulloch, knowingly violated ethical and legal requirements to not knowingly present false evidence.
  3. Several news reports in the past week have uncovered false or contradictory statements from witnesses in the Ferguson grand jury, which on November 24 decided not to press criminal charges against Darren Wilson for the Brown shooting.

McCulloch repeatedly acknowledged some witnesses were lying

St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Robert McCulloch told radio station KTRS that he let some witnesses testify "even though their statements were not accurate."

"I knew that no matter how I handled this, there would be criticism of it," McCulloch said. "So if I didn't put those witnesses on, then we'd be discussing now why I didn't put those witnesses on even though their statements were not accurate."

He later added, "I thought it was much more important to present anybody and everybody and some that, yes, clearly were not telling the truth. No question about it."

McCulloch said he won't charge the witnesses involved with perjury. But he acknowledged, "There were people who came in and, yes, absolutely lied under oath."
McCulloch suggested he knew Witness 40 was being dishonest

One witness McCulloch believed was lying matches several news outlets' description of Witness 40, who told the grand jury that Brown charged at Wilson before the officer fired the final shots that killed him.

"[T]his lady clearly wasn't present when this occurred," McCulloch said. "She recounted a statement that was right out of the newspaper about Wilson's actions, and right down the line with Wilson's actions. Even though I'm sure she was nowhere near the place."

*snip*

McCulloch's actions raise ethical and legal questions about the grand jury proceedings

McCulloch's admission could put him at odds with ethical and even legal requirements to not knowingly present false evidence.

"A lawyer should not present testimony that he believes to be false," Steven Lubet, a law professor at Northwestern University, told BuzzFeed. "That is especially true in a proceeding that lacks all of the usual safeguards, such as opposing counsel and a judge."

When he talks about witnesses lying, he isnt talking about the lone witness 40. Witness 40 told the same story that the others told, therefore witness 40 wasnt one of the liars. Did you know there was a witness who said that 3 cops were chasing and shooting at Brown while his back was turned? Im happy that the Grand Jury exposed those liars when they refused to indict Wilson.

Old news cycle.

Like, forever old...unless.. Brown was a Cuban employee of the Sony Corporation....

Police_Lives_Matter_Rally.jpg

Witness 40 told the same story that the others told, therefore witness 40 wasnt one of the liars.

From the OP, moron:

One witness McCulloch believed was lying matches several news outlets' description of Witness 40, who told the grand jury that Brown charged at Wilson before the officer fired the final shots that killed him.

"[T]his lady clearly wasn't present when this occurred," McCulloch said. "She recounted a statement that was right out of the newspaper about Wilson's actions, and right down the line with Wilson's actions. Even though I'm sure she was nowhere near the place."

1. The prosecutor who led the grand jury investigation into the August 9 police shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, said he was aware that some eyewitnesses were lying.
  2. The admission could mean the prosecutor, St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Robert McCulloch, knowingly violated ethical and legal requirements to not knowingly present false evidence.
  3. Several news reports in the past week have uncovered false or contradictory statements from witnesses in the Ferguson grand jury, which on November 24 decided not to press criminal charges against Darren Wilson for the Brown shooting.

St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Robert McCulloch told radio station KTRS that he let some witnesses testify "even though their statements were not accurate."

"I knew that no matter how I handled this, there would be criticism of it," McCulloch said. "So if I didn't put those witnesses on, then we'd be discussing now why I didn't put those witnesses on even though their statements were not accurate."

He later added, "I thought it was much more important to present anybody and everybody and some that, yes, clearly were not telling the truth. No question about it."

McCulloch said he won't charge the witnesses involved with perjury. But he acknowledged, "There were people who came in and, yes, absolutely lied under oath."

*snip*

McCulloch's actions raise ethical and legal questions about the grand jury proceedings

McCulloch's admission could put him at odds with ethical and even legal requirements to not knowingly present false evidence.

"A lawyer should not present testimony that he believes to be false," Steven Lubet, a law professor at Northwestern University, told BuzzFeed. "That is especially true in a proceeding that lacks all of the usual safeguards, such as opposing counsel and a judge."
Looks like the prosecutor might be going to jail.

[...]

McCulloch did not "present false testimony," because even though he had cause to believe a witness he examines is inclined to lie he has no way of knowing for certain whether or not his testimony would be true or false.

McCulloch didn't present anything. He merely questioned a witness.

[...]

McCulloch did not "present false testimony," because even though he had cause to believe a witness he examines is inclined to lie he has no way of knowing for certain whether or not his testimony would be true or false.

McCulloch didn't present anything. He merely questioned a witness.
That's not what he said. He's in trouble.

*snip*

wow one out of a dozen in favor of the officer

how about the three that lied saying brown was shot in the back

or the one that said three officers chased down brown

[...]

[...]​
It may be said that all defense counsels and prosecutors know beyond any doubt that certain witnesses are lying. But absence of conclusive evidence to that effect means what these lawyers "know" is irrelevant.

The fact is most criminal trials are lying contests in which the only thing that matters is conclusive evidence.

Who didn't know O.J. Simpson was lying?​

Brown was worm-meat as soon as (1) he reached into the cop's squad-car window to try to wrestle the gun away from the cop, and (2) he failed to comply with the cop's command to surrender. Everything else is a mere matter of degree, and mere detail. Don't want to get shot? Don't try to take a cop's gun. And surrender when he tells you to.

Q.E.D.

So can any of the limp-wristers tell us how one discredited witness proves Wilson is guilty? While at the same time explaining how all the lying witnesses against Wilson don't prove his innocence?

Brown was worm-meat as soon as (1) he reached into the cop's squad-car window to try to wrestle the gun away from the cop, and (2) he failed to comply with the cop's command to surrender. Everything else is a mere matter of degree, and mere detail. Don't want to get shot? Don't try to take a cop's gun. And surrender when he tells you to.

Q.E.D.

You keep saying that. If it were PROVEN that he went for the gun, then the officer would have been in the right if he shot Brown dead BEFORE Brown turned and ran away.

It hasn't been proven. And he shot the man dead long after going for the gun was even possible.

Forum List

Back