Proposed Smoking Ban For Military

Soldiers have just as much a right to be protected from second hand smoke as any other employee.
Smoking is banned in the White House, the US Senate and and all other government offices. It should be banned on military bases as well.
It's an absolutely pointless activity. It serves no useful purpose. As a tax payer I do not want my tax money going to pay for cleaning up after smokers and paying for the extra sick time they take as a result of their nasty habit.

All military bases have designated smoking areas that have to be a minimum of 50 feet from building entrances. Smoking is not allowed inside an facilities, not even the bars at the enlisted or officers club. Innocent soldiers do not come in contact with second hand smoke unless they choose to.

As far as "sick time", after years in the military I can guarantee you that I have seen far more lost time due to hangovers than from smoking. Should alcohol be banned as well?

Thanks for the info about the current smoking policies.

You mean drinking while on duty isn't banned? !!!! :eek:

I was in Naval Aviation...let's see, how does that go? Oh yeah...No smoking 12 hours before flight and no drinking within 50 feet of aircraft.

:eusa_shhh:

Makes total sense to me...the military has to stay in top shape...if you want to be a smoker, don't join the military. Quite simple.
They kick you out for drugs and alcoholism and if you don't keep a decent body weight...this is simply logical.

And karma, considering that the military in WWI and WWII is partly to blame for America becoming addicted to cigarettes in the first place.

When I was in the military, I smoked 2 packs a day of Marlboro reds. I still ran the 2 mile PT test in under 12 minutes.

I'm sure there are some 300 pound guys that can do it too, but they still get kicked out.

Having run the PT program in my squadron for a few years, we lost one smoker to a heart attack on the course...he was dead before he hit the ground and we had several smokers looking like they were going to die each time...I myself am an ex-smoker...quite while in flight training in 81 and have never looked back.

All active military personal should be banned from smoking. Period
An idiot bleats.
Defending freeDumb I suppose ???
There is no Freedom in the service. You either obey or get out.

Foolish people like you want to make the military a social experiment.

That's why we have misguided people pushing for open homos to serve and women in combat.

WASHINGTON — Pentagon health experts are urging Defense Secretary Robert Gates to ban the use of tobacco by troops and end its sale on military property, a change that could dramatically alter a culture intertwined with smoking.

Pentagon spokeswoman Cynthia Smith said the department supports a smoke-free military "and believes it is achievable." She declined to elaborate on any possible ban.

full article here:
Ban on tobacco urged in military - USATODAY.com

They have to be kidding right? Men and women, everyday are fighting for our country, our safety and our freedom and some whackjobs think that smoking is so seriously damaging to our soldiers health that is should be banned? Screw them, anti smoking whackos. Gun fire, car bombs, and terrorists are way more detrimental to our soldiers health than some little fucking cigarette or tobacco chew. This anti smoking cause is getting to be way out of hand.

Dont you know man?? its part of being greeeen and produces less greeeenhouse gaaaaases lmao. Fact of matter from my military experiences, ive personally known men, uh and women, that wouldnt touch tobacco with a ten foot pole, but placed in harsh environments, like say a gazillion bullets flying by your head, mortar rounds exploding everywhere and your buddy laying next to you blown into a billion freakin pieces, short of goin insane a cigerettes a small peace of mind........... Obviously the person thats trying to get shit like this passed, has never been in combat with their buddies guts blown all over them.... So sit back make smart ass comments about shit you dont understand or have never experienced, Same greeeeeenhouse tree huggers that are negitive about smoking in the military dont mind a bit sitting back on their couch and smoking a marijuana doobie the size of a surf board...

What you tolerate today, You will entertain tomorrow -whitelion

So in other words;

If your fellow soldier has been shot and has a sucking chest wound

There is No need to yell for the medic.

Just lite a cigarette and stuff it in his mouth.

And he will be fine!!! :lol:

I see both sides points, and they are both very good. Think about this for a second if you will. Yes maybe we arent allowed to smoke in restaurants, buildings, planes, etc., but there always have been a designated smoking area for all these places (cant help you while your on the plane though:hmpf:). I see the health risks, and even the problem with second hand smoke, but what we do to our bodies is our own right. I know many people in the military who smoke and could run circles around the non-smokers. Now I do agree that while out on missions that require ultimate stealth, there should be no smoking, but when they get back why the hell not. That would be their designated smoking area/time. Just like any job, or any other place, there should be time allowed for smoking in designated areas. So this is what I have to say. Isnt just about every popular picture we see of a soldier, marine, airmen, or seamen have a cig in their mouth or a visible pack showing? On that note, why are we taking rights away from the people that fight for them?

So in other words;

If your fellow soldier has been shot and has a sucking chest wound

There is No need to yell for the medic.

Just lite a cigarette and stuff it in his mouth.

And he will be fine!!! :lol:
lol the smoke is for your sanity in combat, not the wounded or dead guy wtf they gonna do with a cigerette:cuckoo:

All military bases have designated smoking areas that have to be a minimum of 50 feet from building entrances. Smoking is not allowed inside an facilities, not even the bars at the enlisted or officers club. Innocent soldiers do not come in contact with second hand smoke unless they choose to.

As far as "sick time", after years in the military I can guarantee you that I have seen far more lost time due to hangovers than from smoking. Should alcohol be banned as well?

Thanks for the info about the current smoking policies.

You mean drinking while on duty isn't banned? !!!! :eek:

I was in Naval Aviation...let's see, how does that go? Oh yeah...No smoking 12 hours before flight and no drinking within 50 feet of aircraft.

:eusa_shhh:
BS my cousin was a naval A-4 pilot late 1960-1970 and smoked cigars minuites before being called in a seconds notice off the carrier deck....that must be some newer rules???

All active military personal should be banned from smoking. Period

Let me guess why you think that. Because you think the government owns you once you join and your body belongs to them. Am I warm?
Not even close.

Besides being unhealthy and diminishing a persons lung capacity.

In a combat zone it poses a danger to all of the other soldiers.

At night the glowing end of a cigarette can be seen for a long, long way.

Thus exposing your position.

Secondly, the smell of cigarettes linger for a long time and carries very far.

Which also can make the enemy aware of your presence and expose your position.

Since all the reasons you just gave are military reasons, best we leave the decision to the military, don't you agree?

And just so there's no confusion, your answer is "yes".

Forum List

Back