Public funding for campaigns.

Debates shall be held and moderated by some other organization than the two parties that have captured and controlled the STATE.

I can’t see how public funding for campaigns would ever work. Lay out the plan. My guess you haven’t thought it all the way through.

1A. Eliminate the Electoral College and elect the President by the popular vote.

1B. If the Electoral College is retained, each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Representatives (only) to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector. Each state’s electoral votes then shall be awarded proportionally, according to the popular vote totals.

2. Gerrymandering is prohibited. Congressional districts shall be drawn along county (or parish) lines whenever possible. When they are not, an explanation must be given to the public.

3. Term limits for elected Federal officers:

3A. No person shall be elected to the House of Representatives more than six times, and no person who has been a Representative, or acted as a Representative, for more than one year of a term to which some other person was elected Representative shall be elected to the office more than five times.

3B. No person shall be elected to the Senate more than twice, and no person who has been a Senator, or acted as a Senator, for more than three years of a term to which some other person was elected Senator shall be elected to the office more than once.

3C. Supreme Court Justices shall hold their office for a term of eighteen years, after which they must resign. The President shall appoint one Justice within six months after the beginning of each Presidential term, and another Justice within six months after the beginning of the third year of each Presidential term.

4. When the Senate’s “Advice and Consent” is required, that body shall have six months in which to act. If the Senate fails to act within six months, their “Advice and Consent” is no longer required.

Those are terrible ideas... solutions looking for a problem to solve.
Actually not.

There is a problem with the EC when the Electors act contrary to the original intent of the Framers.

The Constitution provides that we are to guaranteed a Republican form of government. Sounds like you're still pissed that Hitlery lost.

I'd revise the 14th amendment to exclude the "anchor baby" cottage industry, which is a national security concern.

We could do that by simply adding one word.

"Legally"

"All persons LEGALLY born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

That would not do it. If a tourist is here in the US legally and has their baby, then that baby would be a citizen.
That would depend upon the "laws" that would apply. Maybe laws that haven't been written yet.

Last edited:
Public funding for campaigns.

Debates shall be held and moderated by some other organization than the two parties that have captured and controlled the STATE.

I can’t see how public funding for campaigns would ever work. Lay out the plan. My guess you haven’t thought it all the way through.
Public Financing of Campaigns: Overview

No thanks. Too many issues with that approach.

You made it clear you haven’t given it much thought since you entire response was a link to someone else’s words.

Any political system is going to be corrupt by nature, because politics is by nature corrupt. With that said, I don’t want my tax dollars funding candidates I don’t support. I’d be fine with putting limits on individual contributions while eliminating contributions entirely from special interest groups, PACs, Unions and corporations.

Absolutely not.

The only way forward in America that leftists have populated with 3rd worlders is either end or restrict democracy or secede. No one is going to tell the Americans how to live in our country, majority or not.

By any token, unrestricted democracy was a stupid move for the American republic - that's how we got into this mess.

Ending anchor babies - obviously.

"Absolutely not" what? None of my proposals, or what? And when you say, "No one is going to tell the Americans how to live in our country, majority or not," I'm going to guess that by "Americans," you mean white people. Are you really that pathetic? But maybe I'm wrong.

1A. Eliminate the Electoral College and elect the President by the popular vote.

1B. If the Electoral College is retained, each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Representatives (only) to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector. Each state’s electoral votes then shall be awarded proportionally, according to the popular vote totals.

2. Gerrymandering is prohibited. Congressional districts shall be drawn along county (or parish) lines whenever possible. When they are not, an explanation must be given to the public.

3A. No person shall be elected to the House of Representatives more than six times, and no person who has been a Representative, or acted as a Representative, for more than one year of a term to which some other person was elected Representative shall be elected to the office more than five times.

3B. No person shall be elected to the Senate more than twice, and no person who has been a Senator, or acted as a Senator, for more than three years of a term to which some other person was elected Senator shall be elected to the office more than once.

3C. Supreme Court Justices shall hold their office for a term of eighteen years, after which they must resign. The President shall appoint one Justice within six months after the beginning of each Presidential term, and another Justice within six months after the beginning of the third year of each Presidential term.

4. When the Senate’s “Advice and Consent” is required, that body shall have six months in which to act. If the Senate fails to act within six months, their “Advice and Consent” is no longer required.

Really? Solutions looking for a problem to solve? Well, let's take a look:

1A. Eliminate the Electoral College and elect the President by the popular vote.[/QUOTE said:
At least four times in the history of the United States, the Presidential candidate who won the popular vote was not elected. Two of those times occurred in the last twenty years. The problem? That's not democracy. Now, if you want to argue that the United States is not a democracy, that's a different issue...

United States presidential elections in which the winner lost the popular vote - Wikipedia

This would bring the Electoral College totals into closer agreement with the popular vote totals. By counting Senators in awarding Electors, lower populated states are given an advantage that larger states don't get. Since Representatives are awarded based on population, eliminating Senators from the total would tie the number of Electors more closely to the actual population, which in turn would make the result closer to the actual popular vote. Awarding the electoral votes proportionally, instead of a winner take all scheme, would also help accomplish that goal.

2. Gerrymandering is prohibited. Congressional districts shall be drawn along county (or parish) lines whenever possible. When they are not said:
Are you saying that gerrymandering is NOT a problem? It's basically cheating -- set things up so that you almost HAVE to win.

3. Term limits for elected Federal officers: 3A. No person shall be elected to the House of Representatives more than six times said:
For many years, I wasn't sure whether term limits were a good idea or not. But the Trump Era has convinced me that not only are term limits a good idea, they are absolutely necessary. The spectacle of Representatives and Senators tolerating, excusing, and trying to justify the reprehensible behavior of Trump has been appalling (a problem). They will put up with ANYTHING to keep their cushy government jobs. So they need to be told when they have to go.

3C. Supreme Court Justices shall hold their office for a term of eighteen years said:
Supreme Court Justices need to be appointed to limited terms, instead of for life. This will avoid the extreme partisan rancor that we've seen in the last few appointments (a problem). By appointing Justices for 18-year terms, they will be insulated from the day-to-day vagaries of politics, yet they will have to leave eventually. That way, also, each President will have the opportunity to appoint two Justices during each term. And the next President will have the same opportunity, and so on. So there won't be so much riding on every Supreme Court Justice appointment, because there will be another one in two years -- instead of waiting 20-some years for somebody to die.

4. When the Senate’s “Advice and Consent” is required said:
This will stop any future Senate majority leader from blocking a President's Supreme Court appointment (which won't be as crucial if my proposal above is adopted), the way that McConnell stopped Obama's nomination of Merrick Garland. That was absolutely unconstitutional. There isn't anything in the Constitution about a President not being able to appoint a Justice if he has less than a year left in his second term. That was utterly disgraceful.

Absolutely not.

The only way forward in America that leftists have populated with 3rd worlders is either end or restrict democracy or secede. No one is going to tell the Americans how to live in our country, majority or not.

By any token, unrestricted democracy was a stupid move for the American republic - that's how we got into this mess.

"Absolutely not" what? None of my proposals, or what? And when you say, "No one is going to tell the Americans how to live in our country, majority or not," I'm going to guess that by "Americans," you mean white people. Are you really that pathetic? But maybe I'm wrong.

By Americans I mean exactly what I say. Freedom loving Americans.... Unfortunately it does seem to be genetic, but not 100% genetic. This means the demographics will need to be preserved in order to preserve America.

What definitely does not preserve America is bringing in foreigners who hate freedoms, no matter which skin color.

Actually not.

There is a problem with the EC when the Electors act contrary to the original intent of the Framers.

The Constitution provides that we are to guaranteed a Republican form of government. Sounds like you're still pissed that Hitlery lost.
Why bother? Dismantle the entire government and break up the US into multiple city states.
Why bother? Dismantle the entire government and break up the US into multiple city states.

Sure, and guarantee the status of the (Dis)United States as second class countries. Nukes will only get you so far. The way things are going, we might more of a danger to each other than to anyone else. Can't we all just get along?

Fuck your electoral college amendments. The states will never approve them anyway.

Terms should be limited to 6 years, not 12. A scumbag can engage in a lot of corruption in 24 years (12 in the House and 12 in the Senate). We don't' want these assholes to have a career in politics, and 24 years is pretty close to a career.

Yeah, well, fuck you too. It's not like I assumed that I would make some proposed amendments to the Constitution, and everybody would say, "Wow! That's so amazing! We'll do it!" But I'm putting the ideas out there (and I don't claim that any of these ideas originated with me, anyway). And you misread my proposal: Representatives and Senators would each serve for 12 years, NOT 24. So maybe we kind of agree?

Absolutely not.

By Americans I mean exactly what I say. Freedom loving Americans.... Unfortunately it does seem to be genetic, but not 100% genetic. This means the demographics will need to be preserved in order to preserve America.

What definitely does not preserve America is bringing in foreigners who hate freedoms, no matter which skin color.

You do realize that America was built by "foreigners" who came here for a better life for themselves and their families, right? Do you have any idea of the history of discrimination in the U.S.? Forget about Native Americans and African-Americans who barely even registered as human, people discriminated against Italians, Irish, Slavs, Chinese, take your pick. But most importantly, people come here because THEY WANT FREEDOM, not because they hate it, you idiot!! It doesn't even make sense -- why would anyone hate freedom?

My reactions…

1. I'm absolutely opposed to eliminating, or significantly changing the Electoral College process. It continues to work exactly as the great men who devised it intended it to work; and I think it's purpose is more sharply relevant today than it was when it was first put into effect. I'm absolutely opposed to allowing the populations of the two or three biggest cities in the nation to dictate the outcome of the Presidential election, effectively disenfranchising everyone else; which is exactly what would happen if the Electoral College were eliminated or modified as you propose. Further, I believe that the great men who wrote our Constitution intended for each state to be allowed to decide how its Electors would be allocated, and I see no justification for this to be dictated at the federal level as your proposed 1B version would do.

2. It's not that simple. I agree that gerrymandering is not a good thing, but the process of setting district boundaries is too complex to be addressed so simply. I think this is best left to each state to figure out how to draw its boundaries; hopefully in a manner that is rational and fair; but in any event, not in a manner dictated at the federal level.

3. I'm on the fence about term limits. I used to be solidly opposed, seeing it as a violation of the people's right to choose the representatives of their choice, but I am increasingly beginning to see the harm in allowing someone to remain in positions of power for too long. Perhaps better would be some compromise where, after serving a term in public office, a representative must be required to go back into the private sector and hold a real job, living with the effects of the laws that he helped to enact, before he is allowed to run again for public office. I can see some possible problems there, that will require wiser men than myself to sort out. But I think the idea is that I think no one should be allowed to participate in the process of making laws, and setting government policy, without the expectation of having to go out in The Real World very soon afterward and bear the consequences of those laws and policies just the same as those who he was elected to represent must bear them.

4. Not a bad idea, but I think the limit should be tighter than that. Six months might have been reasonable back in the 18th century, but now, in the 21st century, things happen much faster; information is processed and distributed much faster. I say no more than a month.

Although it may not be clear if this would entail an amendment, the power of the President definitely needs to be put under better control.

Really? Solutions looking for a problem to solve? Well, let's take a look:

1A. Eliminate the Electoral College and elect the President by the popular vote.[/QUOTE said:
At least four times in the history of the United States, the Presidential candidate who won the popular vote was not elected. Two of those times occurred in the last twenty years. The problem? That's not democracy. Now, if you want to argue that the United States is not a democracy, that's a different issue...

United States presidential elections in which the winner lost the popular vote - Wikipedia

This would bring the Electoral College totals into closer agreement with the popular vote totals. By counting Senators in awarding Electors, lower populated states are given an advantage that larger states don't get. Since Representatives are awarded based on population, eliminating Senators from the total would tie the number of Electors more closely to the actual population, which in turn would make the result closer to the actual popular vote. Awarding the electoral votes proportionally, instead of a winner take all scheme, would also help accomplish that goal.

2. Gerrymandering is prohibited. Congressional districts shall be drawn along county (or parish) lines whenever possible. When they are not said:
Are you saying that gerrymandering is NOT a problem? It's basically cheating -- set things up so that you almost HAVE to win.

3. Term limits for elected Federal officers: 3A. No person shall be elected to the House of Representatives more than six times said:
For many years, I wasn't sure whether term limits were a good idea or not. But the Trump Era has convinced me that not only are term limits a good idea, they are absolutely necessary. The spectacle of Representatives and Senators tolerating, excusing, and trying to justify the reprehensible behavior of Trump has been appalling (a problem). They will put up with ANYTHING to keep their cushy government jobs. So they need to be told when they have to go.

3C. Supreme Court Justices shall hold their office for a term of eighteen years said:
Supreme Court Justices need to be appointed to limited terms, instead of for life. This will avoid the extreme partisan rancor that we've seen in the last few appointments (a problem). By appointing Justices for 18-year terms, they will be insulated from the day-to-day vagaries of politics, yet they will have to leave eventually. That way, also, each President will have the opportunity to appoint two Justices during each term. And the next President will have the same opportunity, and so on. So there won't be so much riding on every Supreme Court Justice appointment, because there will be another one in two years -- instead of waiting 20-some years for somebody to die.
What problem does that solve?

Fuck your electoral college amendments. The states will never approve them anyway.

Terms should be limited to 6 years, not 12. A scumbag can engage in a lot of corruption in 24 years (12 in the House and 12 in the Senate). We don't' want these assholes to have a career in politics, and 24 years is pretty close to a career.

Yeah, well, fuck you too. It's not like I assumed that I would make some proposed amendments to the Constitution, and everybody would say, "Wow! That's so amazing! We'll do it!" But I'm putting the ideas out there (and I don't claim that any of these ideas originated with me, anyway). And you misread my proposal: Representatives and Senators would each serve for 12 years, NOT 24. So maybe we kind of agree?
A politician could serve 12 years in the House and then 12 years in the Senate. That's a total of 24 years. That's too fucking long. 6 years in each is more than enough.

I'd revise the 14th amendment to exclude the "anchor baby" cottage industry, which is a national security concern.

Yes.

I think that only a child who has at least one parent who is a citizen, should be given citizenship at birth. If one parent is a citizen of this country, and the other parent a citizen of another country, then the child should be given a provisional split-citizenship; and at some point in his life, must be required to choose one or the other. Voting rights, Congressional representation, and other privileges of full citizenship, should be reserved to those whose allegiance is to this country alone, and not to any other.

My reactions…

1. I'm absolutely opposed to eliminating, or significantly changing the Electoral College process. It continues to work exactly as the great men who devised it intended it to work; and I think it's purpose is more sharply relevant today than it was when it was first put into effect. I'm absolutely opposed to allowing the populations of the two or three biggest cities in the nation to dictate the outcome of the Presidential election, effectively disenfranchising everyone else; which is exactly what would happen if the Electoral College were eliminated or modified as you propose. Further, I believe that the great men who wrote our Constitution intended for each state to be allowed to decide how its Electors would be allocated, and I see no justification for this to be dictated at the federal level as your proposed 1B version would do.

2. It's not that simple. I agree that gerrymandering is not a good thing, but the process of setting district boundaries is too complex to be addressed so simply. I think this is best left to each state to figure out how to draw its boundaries; hopefully in a manner that is rational and fair; but in any event, not in a manner dictated at the federal level.

3. I'm on the fence about term limits. I used to be solidly opposed, seeing it as a violation of the people's right to choose the representatives of their choice, but I am increasingly beginning to see the harm in allowing someone to remain in positions of power for too long. Perhaps better would be some compromise where, after serving a term in public office, a representative must be required to go back into the private sector and hold a real job, living with the effects of the laws that he helped to enact, before he is allowed to run again for public office. I can see some possible problems there, that will require wiser men than myself to sort out. But I think the idea is that I think no one should be allowed to participate in the process of making laws, and setting government policy, without the expectation of having to go out in The Real World very soon afterward and bear the consequences of those laws and policies just the same as those who he was elected to represent must bear them.

4. Not a bad idea, but I think the limit should be tighter than that. Six months might have been reasonable back in the 18th century, but now, in the 21st century, things happen much faster; information is processed and distributed much faster. I say no more than a month.
Wow! Thank you for a thoughtful reply!

1. I would like to eliminate the Electoral College, but I understand that there are reasons for caution. But why don't you think that at least the decisions of the Electoral College should be tied to the popular vote in some way? Also, my interpretation of the reason for the Electoral College is to prevent the election of a popular demagogue, which the Electoral College manifestly failed to do in 2016. But that's another issue, I guess.

2. I disagree that gerrymandering can't be addressed as simply as I propose. In any case, the system as it is now is NOT working.

3. As I said, I wasn't necessarily in favor of term limits before, either. But the current situation has convinced me. The Republicans are utterly supine before Trump. It's almost pornographic. You didn't comment on my suggestions for the Supreme Court. What do you think about that?

4. How about we compromise on 3 months? I'm OK with that!

A politician could serve 12 years in the House and then 12 years in the Senate. That's a total of 24 years. That's too fucking long. 6 years in each is more than enough.

Although it may not be clear if this would entail an amendment, the power of the President definitely needs to be put under better control.

That would just entail more strictly enforcing the Constitution as it currently stands. In recent times, Presidents have felt too free to usurp power well beyond what the Constitution authorizes them to exercise. The same is true of the federal government as a whole; see the Tenth Amendment.

Er....no. You lose. And you are stuck with the consequences of losing.

However here is one I would approve of.

“The 22nd amendment is hereby repealed.”

Forum List

Back