Proposed Ban on Bath Salts

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Two days after a man who may have been using "bath salts" was charged with the murder of Rutgers University senior, several New Jersey lawmakers said Wednesday they will introduce legislation to ban the powder substance, which is already outlawed in three states.

Werner Schmidt wants the bill to be called "Pamela’s Law," in memory of his 22-year-old daughter, whose body was discovered Sunday morning in a basement room at the Cranford home of her boyfriend’s parents.

William J. Parisio Jr., 22, who reportedly had a history of mental illness and substance abuse, was charged Monday with Schmidt’s murder. He is being held at the Union County jail in Elizabeth on $400,000 bail.

Diane Parisio said her son may have begun using bath salts, which are sold legally at many convenience stores, and whose effects mirror those of methamphetamines, since at least December. Despite her claims, authorities have not said whether Parisio was using bath salts when Schmidt was killed.

Medical experts say bath salts can cause extreme anxiety, paranoia, hallucinations and psychotic episodes and have been linked to reports of violence and self-mutilation.

N.J. lawmakers to introduce bill banning 'bath salts' powder | NJ.com

Well, I have no idea if these salts have any useful purpose. However, I am once again disgusted with NJ lawmakers using a child death to get their names in the paper. The boyfriend was crazy. They don't even know if bath salts were involved.

Is anyone familiar with this substance?

Two days after a man who may have been using "bath salts" was charged with the murder of Rutgers University senior, several New Jersey lawmakers said Wednesday they will introduce legislation to ban the powder substance, which is already outlawed in three states.

Werner Schmidt wants the bill to be called "Pamela’s Law," in memory of his 22-year-old daughter, whose body was discovered Sunday morning in a basement room at the Cranford home of her boyfriend’s parents.

William J. Parisio Jr., 22, who reportedly had a history of mental illness and substance abuse, was charged Monday with Schmidt’s murder. He is being held at the Union County jail in Elizabeth on $400,000 bail.

Diane Parisio said her son may have begun using bath salts, which are sold legally at many convenience stores, and whose effects mirror those of methamphetamines, since at least December. Despite her claims, authorities have not said whether Parisio was using bath salts when Schmidt was killed.

Medical experts say bath salts can cause extreme anxiety, paranoia, hallucinations and psychotic episodes and have been linked to reports of violence and self-mutilation.

Well, I have no idea if these salts have any useful purpose. However, I am once again disgusted with NJ lawmakers using a child death to get their names in the paper. The boyfriend was crazy. They don't even know if bath salts were involved.

This is probably why:

DEA Names "Bath Salts" a Drug of Concern<February 1, 2011

[SNIP]

There's a new designer drug that's raising alarm with authorities around the country. It's referred to as "bath salts," but it's really a dangerous stimulant with effects akin to cocaine or meth.

CBS News Medical Correspondent Dr. Jennifer Ashton explained these substances are not about spas or baths.

She explained, "The name sounds harmless. In reality, they are anything but harmless. These contain a designer or synthetic drug, mephedrone or MDPV. It's an amphetamine. They're marketed as bath salts and you can find them online or in stores under names like Zoom 2 or Aura. Our producer found them very easily in New York City. When she asked for them, she was told, 'Wow, they're flying off the shelves. It's a good thing you're getting these.'"
Hill added, "One of our researchers was told these will get you really high."

But what exactly do they do?

Ashton said, "It's a central nervous system stimulant, so it will increase your blood pressure, increase your heart rate, can cause anything from chest pain, heart attack, stroke. Those are just the physical symptoms. Some psychological (symptoms include) delusions, paranoia, psychosis. They're highly addictive, very dangerous."

[/SNIP]

Hope this helps?

This is probably why:

[SNIP]

There's a new designer drug that's raising alarm with authorities around the country. It's referred to as "bath salts," but it's really a dangerous stimulant with effects akin to cocaine or meth.

CBS News Medical Correspondent Dr. Jennifer Ashton explained these substances are not about spas or baths.

She explained, "The name sounds harmless. In reality, they are anything but harmless. These contain a designer or synthetic drug, mephedrone or MDPV. It's an amphetamine. They're marketed as bath salts and you can find them online or in stores under names like Zoom 2 or Aura. Our producer found them very easily in New York City. When she asked for them, she was told, 'Wow, they're flying off the shelves. It's a good thing you're getting these.'"

Ashton said, "It's a central nervous system stimulant, so it will increase your blood pressure, increase your heart rate, can cause anything from chest pain, heart attack, stroke. Those are just the physical symptoms. Some psychological (symptoms include) delusions, paranoia, psychosis. They're highly addictive, very dangerous."

[/SNIP]

Hope this helps?

They've been putting cocaine in Calgon?

I remember that ad, "Calgon....Take me away"

I didn't know they were getting high.

This is probably why:

[SNIP]

[/SNIP]

Hope this helps?

They've been putting cocaine in Calgon?

I remember that ad, "Calgon....Take me away"

I didn't know they were getting high.

I was thinking the same thing.

Ashton noted these substances have been reported to the Poison Control Centers by 33 states.

"Part of the reason why this has gone undetected and under the radar up until now is because they're relatively new. And if you look it at the numbers in 2009, there were no reported cases to Poison Control Centers in this country. (In 2010,) that number jumped to 236. This year alone, we've ready surpassed that with 248 cases. And remember, that's just what's reported."

Hill asked why there isn't more control on these substances.

Ashton replied, "I guarantee you there will be. In fact the (Drug Enforcement Agency) DEA has already labeled these drugs a drug of concern. And there is legislation occurring right now to make them controlled substances. Again, these things take time. You just see those that time period, two years is 24 months, and for the DEA to start investigate a drug, they first need to hear reported cases, then they need to get their scientific medical communities, as well as legal ducks in a row, if you will, and that takes time. But this is by no mistake a dangerous substance and we probably will be hearing a lot more about it."

DEA Names "Bath Salts" a Drug of Concern - The Early Show - CBS News

Ashton noted these substances have been reported to the Poison Control Centers by 33 states.

"Part of the reason why this has gone undetected and under the radar up until now is because they're relatively new. And if you look it at the numbers in 2009, there were no reported cases to Poison Control Centers in this country. (In 2010,) that number jumped to 236. This year alone, we've ready surpassed that with 248 cases. And remember, that's just what's reported."

Hill asked why there isn't more control on these substances.

Ashton replied, "I guarantee you there will be. In fact the (Drug Enforcement Agency) DEA has already labeled these drugs a drug of concern. And there is legislation occurring right now to make them controlled substances. Again, these things take time. You just see those that time period, two years is 24 months, and for the DEA to start investigate a drug, they first need to hear reported cases, then they need to get their scientific medical communities, as well as legal ducks in a row, if you will, and that takes time. But this is by no mistake a dangerous substance and we probably will be hearing a lot more about it."

DEA Names "Bath Salts" a Drug of Concern - The Early Show - CBS News

Yep. Same link I used.

How was the girl killed?

They talk about the boys use bath salts, but neglect to mention how he killed the girl?

Great journalism. Very informative.

Que the big government fascists.
Unless the issue is a genocidal ideology named Islam. then oh it all good, its compatible with the constitution.
Where is the assclown smilie?

Assclown_emoticon.gif

Now that it is being published you can expect a really big increase in the scale of the thing. Previously the word of mouth was through texting or the net but now the mainstream media is on to it everybody (people who seek a high) will be rushing to get it.

Leave it to the far left k00ks to come up with absurd idea's like this............

Awesome...........

The government is and has always been in the business of creating shit to get hysterical about..........and there is always about 20-30% of the population that buys into it hook, line and stinker.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back