Proposal - Let's get rid of Columbus Day!

Make the Superbowl the night before MLK Day each year.

Or rather President's Day. MLK is still too early into the playoffs.

Back the games up. There is no reason the regular season ends on New Year's Eve like it does this year.

At the rate the NFL is going, no one will be watching those pre-season games anyway.

If the NFL ends on MLK day, we will have TWO months until pitchers and catchers report, during which we will only have shitty-ass basketball and hockey to watch.

Why can't the NFL milk their season for as long as possible? The NBA and NHL championships are usually decided in July.

So why do you keep providing good honest reasons for limiting the length of those sport's seasons?

Why shorten any of the seasons? Just because you are getting bored if it goes too long?

Hockey is for Yankees and Canadians. Never watched it.

Baseball has gotten to the point that watching paint dry is much more exciting. Stopped watching years ago.

The NBA is nothing more than overpaid thugs playing hog the ball most of the time. Stopped watching about 50 years ago.

I am sure there are millions like me.

Now that the NFL sucks, college football is all I have left.

Or rather President's Day. MLK is still too early into the playoffs.

Back the games up. There is no reason the regular season ends on New Year's Eve like it does this year.

At the rate the NFL is going, no one will be watching those pre-season games anyway.

If the NFL ends on MLK day, we will have TWO months until pitchers and catchers report, during which we will only have shitty-ass basketball and hockey to watch.

Why can't the NFL milk their season for as long as possible? The NBA and NHL championships are usually decided in July.

So why do you keep providing good honest reasons for limiting the length of those sport's seasons?

Why shorten any of the seasons? Just because you are getting bored if it goes too long?

Hockey is for Yankees and Canadians. Never watched it.

Baseball has gotten to the point that watching paint dry is much more exciting. Stopped watching years ago.

The NBA is nothing more than overpaid thugs playing hog the ball most of the time. Stopped watching about 50 years ago.

I am sure there are millions like me.

Now that the NFL sucks, college football is all I have left.

I'm surprised you don't like NASCAR.

Many people do not celebrate or even recognize Columbus Day anymore, so I have a proposal.

Let's move Labor Day to the first Monday in October, and replace the September holiday with Patriot's Day on September 11.

The number of holidays remains the same. It elevates Patriot's Day on September 11 to it's rightful place as a national holiday. Labor Day has no specific date tied to it, so it can easily be moved.

What do you think?

Works. Doesn't even mess with days off so no or very little pay issues.

Many people do not celebrate or even recognize Columbus Day anymore, so I have a proposal.

Let's move Labor Day to the first Monday in October, and replace the September holiday with Patriot's Day on September 11.

The number of holidays remains the same. It elevates Patriot's Day on September 11 to it's rightful place as a national holiday. Labor Day has no specific date tied to it, so it can easily be moved.

What do you think?

I don't think 9/11 is something we should celebrate. Only a matter of time before they cheapen it.

Columbus Day, President's Day, Labor Day, Memorial Day, Veteran's Day are all already cheapened by sales and other cheap promotions and I'm really surprised no one has done a Martin Luther King Day White Sale. We've pretty much forgotten what or who we are celebrating.

The reason why Columbus Day is controversial now is that we are now realizing that the European Colonization of the America's wasn't so much an event as a tragedy.

I agree. We don't celebrate dec 7 1941. We should celebrate 911 either.

We need holiday's in March and April.
Three day weekends are good for our economy because people shop and travel.
People who can't get the holiday off should get a day in lieu of off.

...The reason why Columbus Day is controversial now is that we are now realizing that the European Colonization of the America's wasn't so much an event as a tragedy.

It's was particularly tragic for much of Mexico, Central America, South America and parts of the Caribbean...when the Spanish conquerors occupied land without the consent of the folks who lived there, availed themselves of the wealth to send back home. Now, as their descendants engage in the same activity, crossing without permission* onto lands not their own, flaunting the law and culture of the land, is it also not a tragedy?

*without permission, ie as opposed to legal channels

So. You can still sell it off and donate the proceeds to whatever organization is tasked with preserving the tribes history.

Okay, that's awesome, given my mortgage is still underwater from Bush's recession, that organization can pay the difference.

It's was particularly tragic for much of Mexico, Central America, South America and parts of the Caribbean...when the Spanish conquerors occupied land without the consent of the folks who lived there, availed themselves of the wealth to send back home. Now, as their descendants engage in the same activity, crossing without permission* onto lands not their own, flaunting the law and culture of the land, is it also not a tragedy?

I think you are a little confused here.

If anything, we Americans, who are mostly white Europeans are still the invaders, and the folks from south of the border are the descendants of people who got their land stolen from them.

Soooooooo..... maybe the inevitable "browning" of America that has you people pissing yourselves every night is just a restoration of the original balance.

Of course, the reality is that working class people of all races are really in the same boat,and the sooner we all figure that out, the better off we will be.

'Say it ain't so Joe', the confusion is all yours. Most of the folks encountered by the Spanish were wiped out. The current inhabitants of Latin America are primarily of Spanish descent...all Europeans (of which Spain is a part) are 'white'. Hispanic and Latino are not races.

It must be terribly conflicting to attempt to 'defend' brown folks who decimated populations of other brown folks, while blaming less brown folks for the same - especially since one group of brown folks were primarily of Asian origination and the conquerors were Caucasian. That is the trap identity politics devoted to skin color always sets for itself.

Far better to enforce immigration law and grant permission. FYI - we're all in the same boat, the USS America - some of us are busy chopping holes in the hull while others are busy trying to repair them. So what is in your tool kit, an axe or a hammer and nails?

Last edited:
'Say it ain't so Joe', the confusion is all yours. Most of the folks encountered by the Spanish were wiped out. The current inhabitants of Latin America are primarily of Spanish descent...all Europeans (of which Spain is a part) are 'white'. Hispanic and Latino are not races.

If that were the case, you guys wouldn't be losing your shit that these people are coming over the border.

090608_immigrants_smuggling.jpg

Columbus Day is a ridiculous holiday to begin with. He did NOT discover America.
Our history books are nothing but lies influenced by close minded religious dogma.

If that were the case, you guys wouldn't be losing your shit that these people are coming over the border.

Why? Just because you catalogue people by skin tone why would you assume I do? Just because you would excuse unlawful behavior by folks of your own race, why do you assume I would?

If this is a photo of non-nationals coming across the border illegally - all I see are lawbreakers. Color and race are irrelevant.

Sure we would. You ver go down to heir neighborhoods? Maybe if they all went to Chicago?

So. You can still sell it off and donate the proceeds to whatever organization is tasked with preserving the tribes history.

Okay, that's awesome, given my mortgage is still underwater from Bush's recession, that organization can pay the difference.

If anything, we Americans, who are mostly white Europeans are still the invaders, and the folks from south of the border are the descendants of people who got their land stolen from them.

Soooooooo..... maybe the inevitable "browning" of America that has you people pissing yourselves every night is just a restoration of the original balance.

Of course, the reality is that working class people of all races are really in the same boat,and the sooner we all figure that out, the better off we will be.

Bush, that mother fucker !

What do you think?
I like Columbus (Christoforo Colombo).

Forum List

Back