Prop 8 Supporters - I Need Your Opinions

Jun 3, 2009
Hi everybody

I am currently working on a news piece about Prop 8 for my school's podcast, and I'm looking for opinions from both sides of the spectrum to quote as part of my interview segment.

If anyone here would be willing to answer a few questions regarding your views on Prop 8, I would be eternally grateful. Both supporters and opponents of Prop 8, feel free to reply, but I am specifically looking for opinions from supporters because I have already interviewed a lot of opponents.

1. (Optional) Age, gender, ethnicity, political party, and/or religious affiliation
2. What effect does Prop 8 have on you, directly or indirectly?
3. If you believe that gay marriage violates the sanctity of traditional marriage, in what way?
4. Do you believe marriage to be an inalienable right, and if so, why for some and not for others?
5. What do you think about the commonly expressed opinion that marriage vs. civil union is a form of "separate but equal"?

-This thread is not a place for debate amongst each other. There are plenty of other threads for that. Also, nobody flame me, please. I choose to remain completely neutral on the issue for the sake of journalism and will not reply to you.

-Make sure that your answers are logically thought out and arguable. Feel free to reference the Bible, but make sure that your argument would hold up in a secular debate.

-If your opinion is used in the report, I will ensure that it is with nothing but the utmost respect for any political and religious views expressed.

Prop 8 was voted in by homophobes who think that being a majority allows you to take away people's equal rights. What's next, they going to send all the blacks to the back of the bus again?

i am of the mind that law abiding, productive, contributing members of society should be able to enjoy all rights, privileges and benefits that society has to offer.

there is no inherent "right" to marriage but there is an inherent right of liberty granted by our Constitution.

Liberty, freedom, should not be denied to any citizen.

Hi everybody

I am currently working on a news piece about Prop 8 for my school's podcast, and I'm looking for opinions from both sides of the spectrum to quote as part of my interview segment.

If anyone here would be willing to answer a few questions regarding your views on Prop 8, I would be eternally grateful. Both supporters and opponents of Prop 8, feel free to reply, but I am specifically looking for opinions from supporters because I have already interviewed a lot of opponents.

1. (Optional) Age, gender, ethnicity, political party, and/or religious affiliation
3. If you believe that gay marriage violates the sanctity of traditional marriage, in what way?
4. Do you believe marriage to be an inalienable right, and if so, why for some and not for others?
5. What do you think about the commonly expressed opinion that marriage vs. civil union is a form of "separate but equal"?

-This thread is not a place for debate amongst each other. There are plenty of other threads for that. Also, nobody flame me, please. I choose to remain completely neutral on the issue for the sake of journalism and will not reply to you.

-Make sure that your answers are logically thought out and arguable. Feel free to reference the Bible, but make sure that your argument would hold up in a secular debate.

-If your opinion is used in the report, I will ensure that it is with nothing but the utmost respect for any political and religious views expressed.

If it is an inalienable right there is only one source for that right. That source is God, and if God gave it, He also designed it. He designed marriage only as only forone man and one woman. I would not call it a right, I would call it a design for life made by God, and the only correct one.

Hi everybody

If it is an inalienable right there is only one source for that right. That source is God, and if God gave it, He also designed it. He designed marriage only as only forone man and one woman. I would not call it a right, I would call it a design for life made by God, and the only correct one.

Government and God do not mix.

This debate has nothing to do with god, it is about denying rights and privileges granted by society to some and not to others.

your religion is your business and you have no right to impose it on anyone.

Hi everybody

46, female, white, democrat, ambiguous.

Nothing directly. I have friends, am a college student, and believe in equal representation under the law.

I do not.

The pursuit of happiness is an inalienable right for all people. As is the right for consenting adults to enter into any legal contract they see fit. People say that marriage is not mentioned in the Constitution as a right, but the Ninth Amendment specifies:

" NINTH AMENDMENT
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights,
shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by
the people. "
http://www.gpoaccess.gov/constitution/pdf/con020.pdf

And so, it is covered.

Seperate but unequal is more accurate.

There are over a hundred federal laws that do not apply to civil unions. DADT? That would be illegal under existing federal employment law if equality were upheld. In addition, the present state of affairs is a violation of equal protection (by not offering equal protection of our laws), establishment (by favoring or giving privilege to some churches over others [many churches, including but not limited to Christian and Jewish, either perform the marriage ceremony or support others that do so and recognize the unions] and of any religion in general regarding a civil contract) , and separation (See Lemon vs Kurtzman)

Forum List

Back