Prop 203 Appears to Have Won

I feel it's a personal choice to use or not to use. Having said that...I feel businesses still will have a right not to hire because a person tests positive for pot. That person would possibly have the right to get Welfare or unemployment. There is where the issue for me lies. Comes down to my money posssibly paying for the stoner.

I feel it's a personal choice to use or not to use. Having said that...I feel businesses still will have a right not to hire because a person tests positive for pot. That person would possibly have the right to get Welfare or unemployment. There is where the issue for me lies. Comes down to my money posssibly paying for the stoner.
You should be allowed to deny someone a job because they go to the bar on their day off?

What I do on my own time is none of the boss's business.

You should be allowed to deny someone a job because they go to the bar on their day off?

What you do on your own time may cost you a job....your choice....but it would piss me off if I had to pay for your sorry ass so you can get high on your time and you lose your job.

Cannabis and mental health

Mental health problems

There is growing evidence that people with serious mental illness, including depression and psychosis, are more likely to use cannabis or have used it for long periods of time in the past. Regular use of the drug has appeared to double the risk of developing a psychotic episode or long-term schizophrenia. However, does cannabis cause depression and schizophrenia or do people with these disorders use it as a medication?

Over the past few years, research has strongly suggested that there is a clear link between early cannabis use and later mental health problems in those with a genetic vulnerability - and that there is a particular issue with the use of cannabis by adolescents.

Depression
A study following 1600 Australian school-children, aged 14 to 15 for seven years, found that while children who use cannabis regularly have a significantly higher risk of depression, the opposite was not the case - children who already suffered from depression were not more likely than anyone else to use cannabis. However, adolescents who used cannabis daily were five times more likely to develop depression and anxiety in later life.

Schizophrenia
Three major studies followed large numbers of people over several years, and showed that those people who use cannabis have a higher than average risk of developing schizophrenia. If you start smoking it before the age of 15, you are 4 times more likely to develop a psychotic disorder by the time you are 26. They found no evidence of self-medication. It seemed that, the more cannabis someone used, the more likely they were to develop symptoms.

Why should teenagers be particularly vulnerable to the use of cannabis? No one knows for certain, but it may be something to do with brain development. The brain is still developing in the teenage years – up to the age of around 20, in fact. A massive process of ‘neural pruning’ is going on. This is rather like streamlining a tangled jumble of circuits so they can work more effectively. Any experience, or substance, that affects this process has the potential to produce long-term psychological effects.

Recent research in Europe, and in the UK, has suggested that people who have a family background of mental illness – and so probably have a genetic vulnerability anyway - are more likely to develop schizophrenia if they use cannabis as well.

What about driving?
In New Zealand, researchers found that those who smoked regularly, and had smoked before driving, were more likely to be injured in a car crash. A recent study in France looked at over 10,000 drivers who were involved in fatal car crashes. Even when the influence of alcohol was taken into account, cannabis users were more than twice as likely to be the cause of a fatal crash than to be one of the victims. So - perhaps most of us would also not want to be driven by somebody who had smoked cannabis in the last day or so.

We need to get Marijuana off of the highest danger drug list that the government put it on, so that WE CAN DO THESE KIND OF STUDIES ourselves, here in America.

Right now, Cocaine and Crack and LSD and other dangerous drugs are on this classification of drug list, at a much lower danger and risk than marijuana....? Seems plain WRONG to me.

and tests and studies on marijuana use, and on children, are illegal in the USA due to marijuana's status of being the MOST DANGEROUS DRUG list and the rules that go with that....and this is just plain wrong imho, scientists and doctors should be able to do some analysis on the negative or positive affects of the drug.

Yea, cuz the results of country after country are of no relevance unless America has done the study.

Honestly, I don't care what people do - unless it impacts on me. Your rights do not outweigh mine. I have the right to be able to live my life without being impacted by the stupid decisions of others. I don't want to pay for your problems - and I don't ask you to pay for mine. See, that's freedom. You want to be free to get stoned, great. Guarantee me that no one will kill a member of my family because they were driving while stoned, guarantee me that I won't be paying for your medical treatment if you develop mental illness due to your own actions, guarantee me that you won't claim unemployment when you lose your job because you were too stoned to do your job, guarantee me that I won't have to pay to put food on your kids table, or clothes on their back. You take responsibility for it.

Because international research shows that it's not harmless - it does impact on society and I don't want to clean up your mess.

Mental health problems

There is growing evidence that people with serious mental illness, including depression and psychosis, are more likely to use cannabis or have used it for long periods of time in the past. Regular use of the drug has appeared to double the risk of developing a psychotic episode or long-term schizophrenia. However, does cannabis cause depression and schizophrenia or do people with these disorders use it as a medication?

Over the past few years, research has strongly suggested that there is a clear link between early cannabis use and later mental health problems in those with a genetic vulnerability - and that there is a particular issue with the use of cannabis by adolescents.

Depression
A study following 1600 Australian school-children, aged 14 to 15 for seven years, found that while children who use cannabis regularly have a significantly higher risk of depression, the opposite was not the case - children who already suffered from depression were not more likely than anyone else to use cannabis. However, adolescents who used cannabis daily were five times more likely to develop depression and anxiety in later life.

Schizophrenia
Three major studies followed large numbers of people over several years, and showed that those people who use cannabis have a higher than average risk of developing schizophrenia. If you start smoking it before the age of 15, you are 4 times more likely to develop a psychotic disorder by the time you are 26. They found no evidence of self-medication. It seemed that, the more cannabis someone used, the more likely they were to develop symptoms.

Why should teenagers be particularly vulnerable to the use of cannabis? No one knows for certain, but it may be something to do with brain development. The brain is still developing in the teenage years – up to the age of around 20, in fact. A massive process of ‘neural pruning’ is going on. This is rather like streamlining a tangled jumble of circuits so they can work more effectively. Any experience, or substance, that affects this process has the potential to produce long-term psychological effects.

Recent research in Europe, and in the UK, has suggested that people who have a family background of mental illness – and so probably have a genetic vulnerability anyway - are more likely to develop schizophrenia if they use cannabis as well.

What about driving?
In New Zealand, researchers found that those who smoked regularly, and had smoked before driving, were more likely to be injured in a car crash. A recent study in France looked at over 10,000 drivers who were involved in fatal car crashes. Even when the influence of alcohol was taken into account, cannabis users were more than twice as likely to be the cause of a fatal crash than to be one of the victims. So - perhaps most of us would also not want to be driven by somebody who had smoked cannabis in the last day or so.

We need to get Marijuana off of the highest danger drug list that the government put it on, so that WE CAN DO THESE KIND OF STUDIES ourselves, here in America.

Right now, Cocaine and Crack and LSD and other dangerous drugs are on this classification of drug list, at a much lower danger and risk than marijuana....? Seems plain WRONG to me.

and tests and studies on marijuana use, and on children, are illegal in the USA due to marijuana's status of being the MOST DANGEROUS DRUG list and the rules that go with that....and this is just plain wrong imho, scientists and doctors should be able to do some analysis on the negative or positive affects of the drug.

Yea, cuz the results of country after country are of no relevance unless America has done the study.

Honestly, I don't care what people do - unless it impacts on me. Your rights do not outweigh mine. I have the right to be able to live my life without being impacted by the stupid decisions of others. I don't want to pay for your problems - and I don't ask you to pay for mine. See, that's freedom. You want to be free to get stoned, great. Guarantee me that no one will kill a member of my family because they were driving while stoned, guarantee me that I won't be paying for your medical treatment if you develop mental illness due to your own actions, guarantee me that you won't claim unemployment when you lose your job because you were too stoned to do your job, guarantee me that I won't have to pay to put food on your kids table, or clothes on their back. You take responsibility for it.

Because international research shows that it's not harmless - it does impact on society and I don't want to clean up your mess.

I agree that I don't want pot smokers to endanger my life as well....I don't have any answers to that other than freedom comes with risks.

Alcohol is legal, yet NOT LEGAL when over-intoxicated/driving....We are still AT RISK of being harmed by someone not following the rules of law.

Same with prescription drug users taking too many or operating machinery that they are warned not to do.

FREEDOM comes with RISKS, freedom does not guarantee anyone of a perfect life or bubble of protection that prevents all bad things that could happen, from happening.

As far as these tests all over the world that you speak of, there are tests all over the world that ALSO come to differing result or opinions.

Our Drug grading system is messed up to have Pot equal to Heroin, and cocaine less harmful to society and us than pot, don't you think so?

What you do on your own time may cost you a job....your choice....but it would piss me off if I had to pay for your sorry ass so you can get high on your time and you lose your job.

Yet you're the one who wants to fire me for something I do at home that has nothing to do with my job :cuckoo:

Yet you're the one who wants to fire me for something I do at home that has nothing to do with my job :cuckoo:

Don't like it....start your own company, and smoke all you want. But, if it's my company and you want the job, you live by my rules. Nothing cuckoo about that....I just don't want to pay for unemployment and welfare because you smoke pot.

If I choose to eat too much chocolate and mess up my brain chemistry and get fat or enjoy alcohol and ruin my kidneys and lover or smoke and ruin my lungs- I've every right to do so.

My body, my choice, my responsibility.

No smoking pot on the job, should be a rule, same as no drinking alcohol on the job. If employees are fired for doing such, they usually do not qualify for unemployment compensation.

I know we fought paying unemployment to employees fired for drinking on the job.

Don't like it....start your own company, and smoke all you want. But, if it's my company and you want the job, you live by my rules. Nothing cuckoo about that...

Yes... you're fired because i saw you with a black woman the other day and heard rumours you're a muslim...

Don't like it....start your own company, and smoke all you want. But, if it's my company and you want the job, you live by my rules. Nothing cuckoo about that...

Yes... you're fired because i saw you with a black woman the other day and heard rumours you're a muslim...

Don't worry I wouldn't work for a doper...so that would be a nonstarter. I would work elsewhere. See how that works....my choice. Why can't you grasp that?

Your choice to not hire someone who dates a black woman?

Try that in the courts.

private companies are not hiring cigarette smokers, even those who only smoke on their own time, because they do not want their group plan insurance policies to go up for their other employees.

Private companies can choose to not hire former alcoholics or those that they know are drinkers on their off time.

These are NOT PROTECTED rights of ours by our gvt.

an employer can discriminate in their hiring practices, but only for the categories that are NOT protected by the rule of law.

Mental health problems

Depression

Schizophrenia

What about driving?

Cocane is the drug of hollywood and Wal street so.....

Your choice to not hire someone who dates a black woman?

Try that in the courts.

You stated that...not me. If it was my company, I wouldn't care about the color of the skin, or religion. We were talking about a federal crime with pot...see the difference?

ohhhhhhhhhhh, well, I thought you were talking about the scenario that IF pot were LEGAL, you as a business owner would not hire or would fire, a pot smoker. Which would be within your rights as the owner, imho

Forum List

Back