Prop 106 Arizona healthcare choice wins!

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Navy1960, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    An Arizona Health Insurance Reform Amendment, also known as Proposition 106, or HCR 2014, will be on the November 2, 2010 ballot in Arizona as a legislatively-referred constitutional amendment. State legislators in both the Arizona State Senate and Arizona House of Representatives voted to put the measure before the state's voters. The proposed amendment to the Arizona Constitution was sponsored by state representative Nancy Barto.[1][2]
    Proposition 106 would amend the Arizona Constitution by barring any rules or regulations that would force state residents to participate in a health-care system. The proposed amendment would also ensure that individuals would have the right to pay for private health insurance
    http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.p...rance_Reform_Amendment,_Proposition_106_(2010)

While I was confident that this would pass and did see that other measures like this passed around the country, it's my opinion that this law sets up a conflict with existing Federal Law in the healthcare bill. So the Federal Govt. will choose to do one of two things, one is they will seek to have this tossed out in court, or simply choose not to enforce it here in Arizona. Frankly, given the current Administrations love for taking our state to court these day's, I'm sure that this one will soon find it's way into the courts as well. However, I am glad to see that the question will soon be answered one way or the other.

2. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,756
    Just a thought dear Navy. Did you notice that the hispanics who won elections on Nov. 2nd were Republicans? :eek:

3. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    At least you can be proud of your state for taking a stand. Look at the embarrassing mess that mine's in. Be glad you live in a state that values its rights.

4. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    You know I did happen to notice that and I will tell you this, I'm very impressed with the new Gov. from New Mexico, she seem to be quite on the ball , I have to admit I don't know a lot about Marco Rubio, other than seeing him speak. However based on the size of his win, it does appear he ran a good campaign and is very popular. Personally here, I would have liked to have seen John McCain retire , while yes he is a fellow Navy man I think it's time he stepped aside and let some younger people take up the task. I wasn't much worried about many of the races here as they all seemed to be decided a while back. Our biggest problem here at the moment like many other places is the economy as we have a big housing crisis going on and honestly, anyone who addresses that would be very much appreciated Democrat, Republican , or otherwise.

5. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    Cali, Arizona has quite the history of standing up to the Federal Govt. on issues, one need look no further than the water wars that have been going on for years here out west to understand that. Often times though , we tend to shoot ourselves in the foot here by not communicating issues as they should be. Take for instance the immigration issue, while illegal immigration is a crime, many have failed to get the point that , for the most part the very people who are comming to the United States to seek a better life are often times treated like slaves when they get here, or abused by those who want nothing more than to use them. What I have always failed to understand is, especially by those who oppose a immigration system that is not only fair, but also one that seeks to enforce the law is how they square that with the treatment those they are supposed to be supporting are getting. To me at least it's a failure on the part of our state officials to properly comunicate that and advocate for a fair system that seeks to stop that sort of thing. In the healthcare issue, it's just a matter or personal freedom and I for one hope that the courts will see it that way.

6. Zander

Zander Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,894
    I think we'll see a lot more of this type of legislation until we can unwind Obamacare.....

7. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    I'm not 100% sure but am told that Ok. passed a similar measure last night as well. If someone has information on the Ok. law by all means post it.

8. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    I'm curious, does Prop 106 allow insurance companies to deny coverage to anyone who might be a risk or do they have to offer insurance to everyone? And if it requires them to offer insurance to everyone, can the insurance companies then make it completely unaffordable to those with pre-existing conditions by charging four or five times the rate charged to someone without a pre-existing condition? I'm just curious who gets to keep their option of choice here. Is it everyone or just those who are not a risk?

9. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    The law is clearley aimed at the section of the healthcare bill that requires a person purchase healthcare insurance. It leaves the choice to particpate in those plans up to the individual. The regulation that points to pre-existing condition would still apply to those that that choose an insurance company. As for afforadablility and price regulation, again that is a seperate matter from what this bill addresses which is the choice to participate or not. It applies to everyone, if someone had a pre-existing condition then they can choose to participate or not just like someone who does not have one under this law.

10. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    Do you think doctors and hospitals should be required to provide medical care to a person who chooses not to purchase insurance when they have the means to do so?