Proof that big stars don't equal good movies

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
I watched the 2008 movie "Burn After Reading" with Brad Pitt, George Clooney, John Malcovich and Frances MacDormand and it was a dud. A convoluted plot that may have been intended as a comedy but wasn't that funny and an abrupt ending that was actually a relief.

All actors have a clinker once in a while.

That being said, I've never been impressed with the Clooney/Pitt movies

I'm at the point I only go for the special effects.

Otherwise, I wait til the hit the small screen

I don't know how well the Adam Sandler film named Spanglish did when it was first released, but I saw it and to me it was boring.

God bless you and Adam always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. Because he isn't one of my favorite actors, I haven't seen every film of his, but of the ones that I have seen, I guess that Happy Gilmore is the best. :) :) :)

^^^ I remember getting to hear a little bit of his singing years ago when the movie was first released through a news clip about the film that was shown on the CMT TV station and I thought that his singing was actually pretty good! I didn't hate it! :) :) :)

God bless you and him always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

I thought Clooney was good in "O Brother Where Art Thou".

According to legend, Clooney even took singing lessons but his singing was dubbed in the movie.

George Clooney practiced his singing for weeks, but in the end his singing voice was dubbed by country blues singer Dan Tyminski
From the movies IMDB page
I didn't think it was his voice but he played the role well, as did the other guys. One of the few actual funny movies around.

I watched the 2008 movie "Burn After Reading" with Brad Pitt, George Clooney, John Malcovich and Frances MacDormand and it was a dud. A convoluted plot that may have been intended as a comedy but wasn't that funny and an abrupt ending that was actually a relief.
I'm a big Coen Brothers fan, but that one did suck.

You know what else is even more strange? Robert DeNiro had made some iconic movies that will last forever. However, if you look at his full body of work, the vast majority of his films utterly suck.

Big actors participation is determinated by money in most cases. But the talents of director and writer are not in such dependancy. By the way, I think will smith and tom hanks choose movies they participate in.

I don't know how well the Adam Sandler film named Spanglish did when it was first released, but I saw it and to me it was boring.

God bless you and Adam always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. Because he isn't one of my favorite actors, I haven't seen every film of his, but of the ones that I have seen, I guess that Happy Gilmore is the best. :) :) :)
While I laughed my ass off during Pixel, his movies have gone down for years!

The only good movies I've seen with that fag Clooney in are The Perfect Storm (and he almost ruined it with his cheesy over-acting) and Brother Where Art Thou, which I think was about him making fun of red necks, but which resulted in him playing someone I actually liked for a change. His over the top portrayal of what he thought was a dufus resulted in a character a hundred times more likeable than he actually is.

So I would never willingly rent or pay to watch a Clooney movie. I don't know why Hollywood loves him, the guy is a dud.

I don't think it sucked at all. Burn After Reading is really funny, even if it ain't the best by the Coens. That movie was them having fun in between No Country For Old Men and A Serious Man, which I think are two of their best, along with Fargo.

The only movies from them I find truly weak are Hudsucker Proxy, which wastes a lot of promise; Miller's Crossing, a 2-hour movie that feels like 3 hours; and Inside Llewyn Davis, which is such a dour, sad little movie that doesn't reflect at all what the folk seen was like, nor does it really have anything to do with the real life figure played by the lead actor, a character back in the 60's who was an inspirational figure to artists like Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell.

Forum List

Back