promises promises yeah right!!

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
"I can make a firm pledge," he said in Dover, N.H., on Sept. 12. "Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes

He repeatedly vowed "you will not see any of your taxes increase one single dime."
PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

I frankly don't see this as a big surprise, given all the Obama spending and the yet to come spending he need to pay for this is yet another campaign promise that is just that a gimmick to get people to vote for him. Then today you hear that Senate Democrats are proposing a tax increase on. anyone over 100,000 dollars a year on their healthcare benefits.

"I can make a firm pledge," he said in Dover, N.H., on Sept. 12. "Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes

He repeatedly vowed "you will not see any of your taxes increase one single dime."

I frankly don't see this as a big surprise, given all the Obama spending and the yet to come spending he need to pay for this is yet another campaign promise that is just that a gimmick to get people to vote for him. Then today you hear that Senate Democrats are proposing a tax increase on. anyone over 100,000 dollars a year on their healthcare benefits.

wasnt that something they beat the shit outta McCain over?

In NJ, filthy rich is now $75,000. So in addition to the feds redistributing the wealth, the states are raising taxes too in the interest of "spreading the wealth" (or shall I say spreading the misery).

chaenel, I have a feeling that this number will change to include anyone that lives anywhere and is sucking in oxygen and those that are not won't see a tax increase. Just wait for the energy bill and the cap and trade scheme comming to a neighborhood near you and see how much your taxes will go up to pay for that debacle. So again your not alone and I'm sure these every moving promises or shall I say lies Obama told made for great TV though.

yes Dive John McCain was put to task during the campaign by the Obama campaign because according to the Obama campaign the McCain campaigns plans would eventually lead to tax increases.

yes Dive John McCain was put to task during the campaign by the Obama campaign because according to the Obama campaign the McCain campaigns plans would eventually lead to tax increases.

Now now, you will have Jillian and her cohorts in here telling you you are an idiot, liar and dumb ass. Obama is not raising any taxes, it is all Congress doing it and against the wishes of Obama. Never mind that Congress is controlled completely by the DEMOCRATS.

How dare you question " The One". He is FORCED by Bush to do these things. Ohh did I forget? Campaign promises are never ever true, so Obama did not lie, he just said what he needed to to get elected.

There several excuses to Cover Obama.

And I'm the one who will not raise taxes. My opponent now says he'll raise them as a last resort, or a third resort. But when a politician talks like that, you know that's one resort he'll be checking into. My opponent, my opponent won't rule out raising taxes. But I will. And the Congress will push me to raise taxes and I'll say no. And they'll push, and I'll say no, and they'll push again, and I'll say, to them, ‘Read my lips: no new taxes.’ George H.W. Bush

Bush's eventual opponent Bill Clinton used the broken pledge to great effect late in the campaign. In October 1992 a television commercial, designed by campaign strategist James Carville, had Bush repeating the phrase to illustrate Bush's perfidious nature. It was regarded as one of the most effective of all of Clinton's campaign ads. The tax reversal played a central role in reducing the public's opinion of Bush's character. Despite the variety of scandals that affected Clinton during the election, polls showed the public viewed Clinton and Bush as similar in integrity.[17] Clinton's most effective ad, the "How're you doin" spot, also included a clip of the broken pledge

I see the point though, the media attention this president gets won't cover the number of campiagn pledges he has broken already so I suppose paying more to keep the celebrity in office is our civic duty.

Sigh...another day another PROPOSAL. There...is...still...no...bill.

Sigh...another day another PROPOSAL. There...is...still...no...bill.

if there wasn't going to be a bill raising taxes sooner or later, there would be no proposals to raise taxes.

It's an "I told you so" in waiting. But have faith it will come.

In NJ, filthy rich is now $75,000. So in addition to the feds redistributing the wealth, the states are raising taxes too in the interest of "spreading the wealth" (or shall I say spreading the misery).

chaenel, I have a feeling that this number will change to include anyone that lives anywhere and is sucking in oxygen and those that are not won't see a tax increase. Just wait for the energy bill and the cap and trade scheme comming to a neighborhood near you and see how much your taxes will go up to pay for that debacle. So again your not alone and I'm sure these every moving promises or shall I say lies Obama told made for great TV though.

First, addressing chanel, such bull. There are an awful lot of wealthy people in New Jersey earning $75,000 per day. WTF?

Second, there have been no tax increases yet and I think the Obama administration is trying to keep its promises, but if it can't be done it can't be done. Similar promises are made in every single election going back before Ronald Reagan (who, gasp, raised taxes in spite of his promises). George H.W. Bush had to renege on his read-my-lips promise because of out of control deficit spending by Ronald Reagan. Go figure.

Last, cap and trade is ALSO not a done deal yet. But here is the latest estimate from the CBO, which shoots holes in the Republican claim that it would be too costly.

CQ Politics | Climate Change Bill Would Cost Households $175 a Year: CBO

First, addressing chanel, such bull. There are an awful lot of wealthy people in New Jersey earning $75,000 per day. WTF?

Second, there have been no tax increases yet and I think the Obama administration is trying to keep its promises, but if it can't be done it can't be done. Similar promises are made in every single election going back before Ronald Reagan (who, gasp, raised taxes in spite of his promises). George H.W. Bush had to renege on his read-my-lips promise because of out of control deficit spending by Ronald Reagan. Go figure.

Last, cap and trade is ALSO not a done deal yet. But here is the latest estimate from the CBO, which shoots holes in the Republican claim that it would be too costly.

And Bill Clinton beat GHWB to death with the "Read my lips" shit so expect the same to be done to Obama when, not if, he raises taxes.

Here is an analysis of the 2008 campaign rhetoric regarding taxes:

FactCheck.org: Spread the Tax Hooey!

did Obama say what was claimed, or not
your link didnt even address it
what McCain's campaign said isnt even at question here
prove Obama didnt say that in Dover, NH as claimed

And I'm the one who will not raise taxes. My opponent now says he'll raise them as a last resort, or a third resort. But when a politician talks like that, you know that's one resort he'll be checking into. My opponent, my opponent won't rule out raising taxes. But I will. And the Congress will push me to raise taxes and I'll say no. And they'll push, and I'll say no, and they'll push again, and I'll say, to them, ‘Read my lips: no new taxes.’ George H.W. Bush

Bush's eventual opponent Bill Clinton used the broken pledge to great effect late in the campaign. In October 1992 a television commercial, designed by campaign strategist James Carville, had Bush repeating the phrase to illustrate Bush's perfidious nature. It was regarded as one of the most effective of all of Clinton's campaign ads. The tax reversal played a central role in reducing the public's opinion of Bush's character. Despite the variety of scandals that affected Clinton during the election, polls showed the public viewed Clinton and Bush as similar in integrity.[17] Clinton's most effective ad, the "How're you doin" spot, also included a clip of the broken pledge

I see the point though, the media attention this president gets won't cover the number of campiagn pledges he has broken already so I suppose paying more to keep the celebrity in office is our civic duty.

How about if everyone just track Obama here. All the legwork is already done for ya. You can also click on the home page and see who else is lying (or not).

PolitiFact | The Obameter: Tracking Barack Obama's Campaign Promises

How about if everyone just track Obama here. All the legwork is already done for ya. You can also click on the home page and see who else is lying (or not).

hmm, some of them are not updated
like the one on DOMA
that is a promise broken

And Bill Clinton beat GHWB to death with the "Read my lips" shit so expect the same to be done to Obama when, not if, he raises taxes.

Okay.

The strange phenomenon remains, however, that people continue to want expensive programs like universal health care (Gallup poll over the weekend shows 79%), yet they are worried about deficit spending, which universal health care would dramatically increase (last week's NBC/NYT poll of 59%). Everyone wants cake but don't want to make it or buy it, just eat it.

Okay.

The strange phenomenon remains, however, that people continue to want expensive programs like universal health care (Gallup poll over the weekend shows 79%), yet they are worried about deficit spending, which universal health care would dramatically increase (last week's NBC/NYT poll of 59%). Everyone wants cake but don't want to make it or buy it, just eat it.
because some people think the universal healthcare will be FREE

did Obama say what was claimed, or not
your link didnt even address it
what McCain's campaign said isnt even at question here
prove Obama didnt say that in Dover, NH as claimed

I'm not arguing that he didn't say it. I know exactly what he SAID, and I also know exactly what has been going on with the economy SINCE HE SAID IT. Jeezus, your like a bratty five-year old with your BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT mommie you said blah blah blah. What the fuck is your problem?

So now I can't bring in McCain either? No Bush, no McCain. Okay, in your feeble mind, the earth began rotating around the sun on January 21, 2009. Nothing of import happened before then. Idiot.

hmm, some of them are not updated
like the one on DOMA
that is a promise broken

Oh yeah, a real top priority. We'll all go to hell in a handbasket if Obama doesn't formally proclaim on a goddamned piece of paper that marriage is between a man and a woman.

Forum List

Back