PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama and black farmers

Angel Heart

Conservative Hippie
Jul 6, 2007
Portland, Oregon
The Associated Press: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama and black farmers

PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama and black farmers
By BEN EVANS – 10 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — As a senator, Barack Obama led the charge last year to pass a bill allowing black farmers to seek new discrimination claims against the Agriculture Department. Now he is president, and his administration so far is acting like it wants the potentially budget-busting lawsuits to go away.

The change isn't sitting well with black farmers who thought they'd get a friendlier reception from Obama after years of resistance from President George W. Bush.

"You can't blame it on the Bush administration anymore," said John Boyd, head of the National Black Farmers Association, which has organized the lawsuits. "I can't figure out for the life of me why the president wouldn't want to implement a bill that he fought for as a U.S. senator."

At issue is a class-action lawsuit known as the Pigford case. Thousands of farmers sued USDA claiming they had for years been denied government loans and other assistance that routinely went to whites. The government settled in 1999 and has paid out nearly $1 billion in damages on almost 16,000 claims.

More...

Nice picture of the tea party!!! 7000 out of 575,000!!!! 1.2% aint bad!!! I'm sure the other half million "wanted" to come as claimed by the Reps!!!

Forum List

Back