Promise keepers

Promise Keepers was huge in the 1990's. It was touted as a way to show men that they could live Christian lives in today's PC culture and not be ashamed of it. (as a result, many feminists have protested the events, wrongly claiming that PK encourages men to treat their wives as second-class citizens.) I have never been to an event myself, but I know a few people that have, and they say that it is pretty powerful. My only beef with PK is that it looks to be extremely race-conscious. What I mean by that is that you've got people up on stage in Indian headdresses, or African garments, etc. to the point that it looks like they are glorifying their cultures more than they are glorifying God. But, like I said, I've never been, so I don't know if this is the case or not.
As this decade has progressed, attendance at PK events has waned significantly, though the ministry itself is still alive and well.

gop_jeff said:
Promise Keepers was huge in the 1990's. It was touted as a way to show men that they could live Christian lives in today's PC culture and not be ashamed of it. (as a result, many feminists have protested the events, wrongly claiming that PK encourages men to treat their wives as second-class citizens.) I have never been to an event myself, but I know a few people that have, and they say that it is pretty powerful. My only beef with PK is that it looks to be extremely race-conscious. What I mean by that is that you've got people up on stage in Indian headdresses, or African garments, etc. to the point that it looks like they are glorifying their cultures more than they are glorifying God. But, like I said, I've never been, so I don't know if this is the case or not.
As this decade has progressed, attendance at PK events has waned significantly, though the ministry itself is still alive and well.

thanks for filling me in gop_jeff

Weel here goes, I guess I need to preface this by stating out the outset, I'm a conservative Christian, a member of a Weslyan congregation. Promise Keepers was great deal smaller but more on target than they were a few years ago when the were packing America's largest stadiums as well as the Capitol Mall. Their message this time was that its high time for a Christian uprising, after all 99% of the Founding Fathers were Christian, so how did we allow the "courts" to take us so far from their intent, etc. etc.. We were also introduced to a " Conservative Christian" stand up commedianne named Brad Stine http://www.bradstine.com/swf/home.htm Here's his web-site although I can't get it to load, maybe someone else can, but anyway he's about 80 % comedy & 20 % political commentary, but I really enjoyed him. Overall an excellent, revitalizing conference.

Forum List

Back