Prominent Muslim Sheik Issues Fatwa Against Isis Violence

Prominent Muslim Sheik Issues Fatwa Against ISIS Violence NPR

Sheik Abdullah bin Bayyah is interviewed about his fatwa explaining why ISIS is wrong to claim that Islam supports violence and the establishment of a caliphate by force.

Then he singled out one organization and one man leading that charge: the new Forum for Promoting Peace in Muslim Societies and Sheik Abdullah bin Bayyah. Describing the group's purpose, the sheik said, "We must declare war on war so the outcome will be peace upon peace."

ISIS is not Islamic.
And here, once again, are Muslim voices speaking out against and doing something about this extremist group.

Well, ISIS says they are Islamists but I am withholding opinion pending real action by the Muslim World in the war against ISIS.
So far a number of credible Muslim voices have condemned them - a hopeful sign - and the US is cooperating with a number of Mideast states on military action and on saving civilian lives. On the other hand Iran - a key ally of Syria - not only rejects joining the coalition, they mock Obama's strategy.

Farsnews

Iran rejects American request for cooperation against ISIS - CBS News

The problem with combatting ISIS is that there are many other complicated regional issues underlying forming a coalition. Not joining a coalition doesn't necessarily mean they support or are even neutral to ISIS - but that there are other conflicts and alliences at hand. It's a complicated mess :(

Young Muslims speak out against ISIS on social media - ANN

Over the last two weeks, young Muslims from various countries have been posting messages on Twitter and other social media platforms denouncing ISIS' actions as un-Islamic, with the hashtag #notinmyname.

"ISIS does not represent Islam, we condemn it," Malaysian Aizat Amdan (@MuhdAizatAmdan) said in a tweet on Sept 18.

This effort, started by the British group Active Change Foundation, has also attracted derogatory tweets from apparent ISIS supporters.

Posted in various languages and apparently originating from a range of nations from India to Indonesia, these counter- tweets deride the "gullible sellouts" and the "coconut Muslims" deemed to be brown on the outside but white on the inside.

Hanif Qadir (@HanifQadir), who heads the foundation which was created to counter violent extremism and terrorism, appeared unperturbed.

"The extremists need to see a united front against them which will push them away from the main body of Muslims," he said on Twitter.
His tweet drew a retort from another Britain-based user, Mizanur Rahman (@Abu_Baraa1) who said: "Where are the #notinmyname videos against the air strikes killing Muslims?"

The online campaign has nevertheless caught on.
Karachi-based Patakha Guddi (@filmyjoyo) posted: "We just want the world to know that #ISIS is not what Islam is. Islam preaches tolerance and compassion for humanity."

More and more of those "non-existent" Muslim groups protesting, demonstrating, speaking out....

there is a mad scramble to move the goal posts

ROFLMAO----oh gee----I actually went to the site and read it------what a BUNCH OF DRIVEL ---from Pakistan "ISLAM TEACHS TOLERANCE AND COMPASSION"---which is why they execute Christians for touching the Koran----or giving a bible to a muslim---etc etc ------of course they also have been doing drive by HITS on Shiites for as long as I can remember------uhm----I first learned about it about 45 years ago.--------near the time I objected to the 1/4 million rapes committed by the WEST PAKISTANI army at the behest of muslim clerics

I certainly wish the Pakistanis would protest to do away with those blasphemy laws. What a way to get rid of a Christian neighbor that you don't like.

there is a problem------Pakistanis like having the option of "getting rid of" -----they are big on "getting rid of" Of all places they seem to be most at east "getting rid of" Shiites
Of those I have known----they would be delighted to "get rid" of hindus

I remember that Muslim poster living here in the States, but from a Western state in India, saying that she wanted to see 850 million Hindus eradicated just so Islam could rule India again. Imagine wanting to see 850 million people done away with just so your religion could rule!!!

:dunno: Buddhists want to slaughter Muslims in Myanmar, Hindus in India are just as eager to slaughter Muslims. Religions over all are not known for promoting tolerance. George Carlin said it best in one his routines..."Do you believe in God"? "Yes" "Good....do you believe in MY God"? "No". BANG.

Sheik Abdullah bin Bayyah is interviewed about his fatwa explaining why ISIS is wrong to claim that Islam supports violence and the establishment of a caliphate by force.

Then he singled out one organization and one man leading that charge: the new Forum for Promoting Peace in Muslim Societies and Sheik Abdullah bin Bayyah. Describing the group's purpose, the sheik said, "We must declare war on war so the outcome will be peace upon peace."

ISIS is not Islamic.
And here, once again, are Muslim voices speaking out against and doing something about this extremist group.

Well, ISIS says they are Islamists but I am withholding opinion pending real action by the Muslim World in the war against ISIS.
So far a number of credible Muslim voices have condemned them - a hopeful sign - and the US is cooperating with a number of Mideast states on military action and on saving civilian lives. On the other hand Iran - a key ally of Syria - not only rejects joining the coalition, they mock Obama's strategy.

Farsnews

The problem with combatting ISIS is that there are many other complicated regional issues underlying forming a coalition. Not joining a coalition doesn't necessarily mean they support or are even neutral to ISIS - but that there are other conflicts and alliences at hand. It's a complicated mess :(

It means that a key ally of Syria - one that could make a real difference in that mess - is willing toss Syria and hundreds of thousands of civilians under the bus for political purposes. Pathetic.

Over the last two weeks, young Muslims from various countries have been posting messages on Twitter and other social media platforms denouncing ISIS' actions as un-Islamic, with the hashtag #notinmyname.

"ISIS does not represent Islam, we condemn it," Malaysian Aizat Amdan (@MuhdAizatAmdan) said in a tweet on Sept 18.

This effort, started by the British group Active Change Foundation, has also attracted derogatory tweets from apparent ISIS supporters.

Posted in various languages and apparently originating from a range of nations from India to Indonesia, these counter- tweets deride the "gullible sellouts" and the "coconut Muslims" deemed to be brown on the outside but white on the inside.

Hanif Qadir (@HanifQadir), who heads the foundation which was created to counter violent extremism and terrorism, appeared unperturbed.

"The extremists need to see a united front against them which will push them away from the main body of Muslims," he said on Twitter.
His tweet drew a retort from another Britain-based user, Mizanur Rahman (@Abu_Baraa1) who said: "Where are the #notinmyname videos against the air strikes killing Muslims?"

The online campaign has nevertheless caught on.
Karachi-based Patakha Guddi (@filmyjoyo) posted: "We just want the world to know that #ISIS is not what Islam is. Islam preaches tolerance and compassion for humanity."

More and more of those "non-existent" Muslim groups protesting, demonstrating, speaking out....

ROFLMAO----oh gee----I actually went to the site and read it------what a BUNCH OF DRIVEL ---from Pakistan "ISLAM TEACHS TOLERANCE AND COMPASSION"---which is why they execute Christians for touching the Koran----or giving a bible to a muslim---etc etc ------of course they also have been doing drive by HITS on Shiites for as long as I can remember------uhm----I first learned about it about 45 years ago.--------near the time I objected to the 1/4 million rapes committed by the WEST PAKISTANI army at the behest of muslim clerics

I certainly wish the Pakistanis would protest to do away with those blasphemy laws. What a way to get rid of a Christian neighbor that you don't like.

there is a problem------Pakistanis like having the option of "getting rid of" -----they are big on "getting rid of" Of all places they seem to be most at east "getting rid of" Shiites

I remember that Muslim poster living here in the States, but from a Western state in India, saying that she wanted to see 850 million Hindus eradicated just so Islam could rule India again. Imagine wanting to see 850 million people done away with just so your religion could rule!!!

nothing new the very first muslim I knew well-----was from New Dehli---which is in the western part of India------a kinda WELL DEVELOPED CITY. He was obsessed with the GLORIOUS MOGHUL EMPIRE and
regarding hindus he commented "someday
we will drink their blood"-----I was horrified----
he could not understand why----afterall----
THEY MAKE IDOLS That "we" had more floored-----I thought it might have
included ME !!!!!! (more than 40 years ago----seems like a standard-----but don't tell coyote)

Muslim Scholars Make the Theological Case Against the Islamic State

More than a hundred Muslim scholars and leaders from around the world released an open letter addressed to Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi on Wednesday, telling the self-proclaimed caliph, in no uncertain terms, that the group's use of Islamic scripture is illegitimate and perverse.

Muslim Scholars Make the Theological Case Against the Islamic State VICE News

Thats all fine and good, now how about some help on the ground to take those bastards out? last time I checked besides a few Gulf Countries doing air strikes its been the Kurds doing all the heavy lifting and sacrificing on the ground.

:dunno: Buddhists want to slaughter Muslims in Myanmar, Hindus in India are just as eager to slaughter Muslims. Religions over all are not known for promoting tolerance. George Carlin said it best in one his routines..."Do you believe in God"? "Yes" "Good....do you believe in MY God"? "No". BANG.

But it is your friendly Muslims who appear to be operating all over the place, not just in one location.

But it is your friendly Muslims who appear to be operating all over the place, not just in one location.

There are conflicts all over the world Sally, not all of which involve Muslims as aggressors and not all of which are based on religious differences.

More than a hundred Muslim scholars and leaders from around the world released an open letter addressed to Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi on Wednesday, telling the self-proclaimed caliph, in no uncertain terms, that the group's use of Islamic scripture is illegitimate and perverse.

Thats all fine and good, now how about some help on the ground to take those bastards out? last time I checked besides a few Gulf Countries doing air strikes its been the Kurds doing all the heavy lifting and sacrificing on the ground.

It's a start.

People have been going on and on about "why don't they speak out, protest, yada yada yada". They do. They are. Now the goal posts must be moved because it is quite obvious that meme isn't true.

It's a start.

People have been going on and on about "why don't they speak out, protest, yada yada yada". They do. They are. Now the goal posts must be moved.

My question is how many of them are going to criticize us for the air strikes in Syria and Iraq and the Kurds for doing all the heavy lifting? Muslims criticized Saddam Hussein too but loathed us for invading Iraq.

lets just FORGET about history------an interesting factoid-----Jews ran from muslims to India. Zoroastrians ran from muslims to India ----in fact long before MUSLIMS got there-------There is no history of hindus killing jews or Zoroastrians-------to this day. but muslims have been killing jews and Zoroastrians in the Indian subcontinent for more than 1000 years------and ----historians estimate 100 million hindus in their first 100 years in the indian subcontinent. A very interesting factoid----there still exists UNDER a mosque----a synagogue----in Lahore Pakistan----decorative elements and materials were incorporated into the mosque------from the synagogue-----yet ancient synagogues STILL STAND in Mumbai and Kerala. Lets not mention the
sacred Buddhist art of Afghanistan. So the Buddhists finally managed to get angry after 1000 years.....gee really makes a case for the virtue of being "slow to anger"

There are conflicts all over the world Sally, not all of which involve Muslims as aggressors and not all of which are based on religious differences.

so? this discussion is about conflict in the middle east which IS galvanized by religious
differences. I would like to lose 15 lbs-----
it is not ALL related to pizza-----just most of it

It's a start.

People have been going on and on about "why don't they speak out, protest, yada yada yada". They do. They are. Now the goal posts must be moved.

My question is how many of them are going to criticize us for the air strikes in Syria and Iraq and the Kurds for doing all the heavy lifting? Muslims criticized Saddam Hussein too but loathed us for invading Iraq.

We criticize our Presidents - god knows I despised Bush, and other despise Obama - but I don't think any of us would support or thank Putin for invading us and imposing "regime change". Few countries want foreign interference or troops on their soil. It might be a dictator, and they might be happy accepting arms - but troops and invasion are a whole 'nother issue. I'm sure we will get some criticism for airstrikes. I think that's just the way it goes. No matter what happens, air strikes kill non-combatants and that puts pressure on local leaders and politicians.

ISIS is not Islamic.

Farsnews

yes----it is a very complicated mess-----with one single common denominator------islam

It's a start.

We criticize our Presidents - god knows I despised Bush, and other despise Obama - but I don't think any of us would support or thank Putin for invading us and imposing "regime change". Few countries want foreign interference or troops on their soil. It might be a dictator, and they might be happy accepting arms - but troops and invasion are a whole 'nother issue. I'm sure we will get some criticism for airstrikes. I think that's just the way it goes. No matter what happens, air strikes kill non-combatants and that puts pressure on local leaders and politicians.

What point are you struggling to make?

It's a start.

So it sounds like we are damned if we do, damned if we don't. When ISIS first started steam rolling through Iraq we took heat for not getting involved sooner, now with the air strikes we will take even more criticism.

It's a start.

So it sounds like we are damned if we do, damned if we don't. When ISIS first started steam rolling through Iraq we took heat for not getting involved sooner, now with the air strikes we will take even more criticism.

I object to the bigoted and RACIST comments about AIR STRIKES. The
WRIGHT BROTHERS ----were good
American boys. What makes bomb on ass operatives better than AIR STRIKES?

I would prefer-----ground stuff----like long range missiles------originating in the POCONO MOUNTAINS-----jettisoned to the
head of AL BAGHDADI -------even if it happens to miss

I think people who read newspapers realize that there are conflicts all over the world, but it seems like the Peace-loving Muslims happen to be involved in many different places -- whether it is in Africa, the Middle East or Southeast Asia.

I think people who read newspapers realize that there are conflicts all over the world, but it seems like the Peace-loving Muslims happen to be involved in many different places -- whether it is in Africa, the Middle East or Southeast Asia.

Yet, sometimes their involvement is as victims, not aggressors.

Sally------do not ponder the words of ----you
know who------you will get a headache

Yet, sometimes their involvement is as victims, not aggressors.

No one would say that the Muslims haven't been victims; however, most of the victims of today have been done in by Muslims. You can make all the excuses for them that you want to, but people are not that dumb to fall for your excuses. All over the Muslims world, innocent people have been killed, even Muslims by other Muslims if they happen to belong to a different sect. I

Forum List

Back