Progressives and Parental Rights.

PoliticalChic, when your posts include your favorite bogeyman please have the integrity to post something a progressive would agree to. This is good old power, capitalism, free market, principals, and other assorted people of good and maybe not so good intentions trying to manage the world. Why are they progressives? Some like it, some don't and can we really trust the integrity of the authors or even the paper? This is local policy and parents can and should discuss it, but methinks this may just be a mountain out of a molehill.

"But parent Miguel Medina said he thinks the "no home lunch policy" is a good one. "The school food is very healthy," he said, "and when they bring the food from home, there is no control over the food."

At Claremont Academy Elementary School on the South Side, officials allow packed lunches but confiscate any snacks loaded with sugar or salt. (They often are returned after school.) Principal Rebecca Stinson said that though students may not like it, she has yet to hear a parent complain.

"The kids may have money or earn money and (buy junk food) without their parents' knowledge," Stinson said, adding that most parents expect that the school will look out for their children.

Such discussions over school lunches and healthy eating echo a larger national debate about the role government should play in individual food choices.

"This is such a fundamental infringement on parental responsibility," said J. Justin Wilson, a senior researcher at the Washington-based Center for Consumer Freedom, which is partially funded by the food industry."

<<<<<<<

I'm betting Miguel Midina's kids get free school lunches.

Check out this picture of the "healthy" lunch at the Little Village Academy:

60805905.jpg

Check out this picture of the "healthy" lunch at the Little Village Academy:

60805905.jpg

It's all pre-packaged crap. Add water, heat, eat. It's garbage. The healthiest thing on that tray is the choc milk. But the kids HAVE to eat that shit rather than bringing in something from home? My head is ready to explode from this. I swear I'd rip them a new one of they ever tried that here.

Ridiculous. The parents have the right to do something about it. I hope they do.

Glad we're on the same page here.

So, can I push the envelope?
Philosophically, how is this not a microcosm of ObamaCare?

Because this kind of crap has been going on for quite a while...long before Obama was even president. Kids can't bring stuff to school for their b-day. Teachers can no longer have parties where parents send stuff. Soda machines are a thing of the past at school. My daughter's school can't even have fund raisers at dances selling soda and candy if the dance is right after school hours....and this stuff has been in place for at least 5 years now.

Not at charter schools...

I LOVE MY KIDS' CHARTER SCHOOL!

Forum List

Back