Progressives and Parental Rights.

I did, but then again, lunch was sometimes an optional meal in the summer time. The free lunch program is doing a pretty good job keeping some kids from starving.

No, it's not.

No one starved before it and no one will starve after it's gone.

Why?

B/c the people that get free lunch also get welfare and food money. There's more than enough given for any responsible person to be able to make sure thier kids don't miss a meal.

That welfare doesn't always go to food and you can trade moneys off your EBT cards for cash and drugs if you want, alot of people do it.

If people refuse to be responsible for thier kids. Why are we punished?

the cost of school lunch was prohibitive for us, so all our kids brown bag it.

No, it's not.

No one starved before it and no one will starve after it's gone.

Why?

B/c the people that get free lunch also get welfare and food money. There's more than enough given for any responsible person to be able to make sure thier kids don't miss a meal.

That welfare doesn't always go to food and you can trade moneys off your EBT cards for cash and drugs if you want, alot of people do it.

Not the kids fault their parents are douche bags.

Ridiculous. The parents have the right to do something about it. I hope they do.

Glad we're on the same page here.

So, can I push the envelope?
Philosophically, how is this not a microcosm of ObamaCare?

Obamacare is like the school requiring that all kids either bring lunch or buy it, and penalizing the kids if they don't.

For the record, this school is being kinda ridiculous. I don't see this policy lasting more than a few weeks, if even that. Someone is getting hung out to dry.

But if you want to take the school lunch and healthcare analogy farther, what should have happened is that you make health insurance like the free lunch program: Namely if you can't afford it, we'll help you get it.

Hey, good to see you again, Doc!

1. Actually, ObamaCareLunch wold be all the kids either having school lunch, or bringing it- they can only bring the exact foods, and in the exact amounts, that the school lists...and the school can change the format at will.

2. " I don't see this policy lasting more than a few weeks, if even that."
And that is because this adminstration has awaked the sleeping giant....the public has become sensitive to the overreach of Left-wing government.

3. "Namely if you can't afford it, we'll help you get it."
Well, to continue with ObamaCareLunch, when we subsidize it, you will have to provide the incomes of every member of the family, and investiments, etc., every month!

And, there will be new taxes on the seat in the lunchroom, a tray-tax, napkin tax and spork tax.

a. "It will be enforced by the IRS. Obamacare authorizes the hiring of 16,500 additional agents. “the Joint Economic Committee and the House Ways & Means Committee minority staff estimates up to 16,500 new IRS personnel will be needed to collect, examine and audit new tax information mandated on families and small businesses in the ‘reconciliation’ bill being taken up by the U.S. House of Representatives this weekend. ...” 16,500 more IRS agents needed to enforce Obamacare | J.P. Freire | Beltway Confidential | Washington Examiner

b. And, now an employer would become an agent of the IRS, because he would have to verify the total income of his employees family, not just what he was paying! So, any time any family member gets or loses a job, or gets an increase, etc., or gains in an investment (yes, stocks, etc.!) either more paperwork, or he is breaking the law!

c. And, as in ObamaCare, no taxes will apply if you can prove you are an illegal alien.

Not my fault either.

This is why we have child services.

If a kid must get breakfast-lunch and now diner, at school, there's something wrong in the home that should be checked out.

pfft, the kid may end up happier.

Glad we're on the same page here.

So, can I push the envelope?
Philosophically, how is this not a microcosm of ObamaCare?

Because this kind of crap has been going on for quite a while...long before Obama was even president. Kids can't bring stuff to school for their b-day. Teachers can no longer have parties where parents send stuff. Soda machines are a thing of the past at school. My daughter's school can't even have fund raisers at dances selling soda and candy if the dance is right after school hours....and this stuff has been in place for at least 5 years now.

Those are areas in which the school is free to exert their authority, but telling parents what to pack for their child's individual consumption should not be determined by the school administration. As a former first grade teacher, I would ASK my parents to please provide healthy afternoon snacks in my welcoming newsletter. However, if they ended up sending chips or a nutty bar, I would never have over stepped my bounds and told them it was unacceptable.

"As a former first grade teacher, I would ASK my parents to please provide healthy afternoon snacks in my welcoming newsletter. However, if they ended up sending chips or a nutty bar, I would never have over stepped my bounds and told them it was unacceptable."

Wonderful.
Wonderful attitude.

I love it: government or authority should behave as you do, treat others as adults...suggest, and then drop it. Try to educate, then assume that adults make the final decison.

James Madison: Education is the true foundation of civil liberty.

Last edited:

Not my fault either.

If a kid must get breakfast-lunch and now diner, at school, there's something wrong in the home that should be checked out.

I agree with you, but the reality is in alot of homes the kids are not getting what they need.

I can see it now, fat assed teachers pawing through a little kid's lunch so they can steal his chocolate chip cookie his grandma made for him and eat it in the teachers' lounge along with a coffee with cream and a ton of sugar in it while smoking a cigarette.

I can see it now, fat assed teachers pawing through a little kid's lunch so they can steal his chocolate chip cookie his grandma made for him and eat it in the teachers' lounge along with a coffee with cream and a ton of sugar in it while smoking a cigarette.

And drinking a tall can of Steel Reserve.

Not my fault either.

I agree with you, but the reality is in alot of homes the kids are not getting what they need.

Here's a cruel truth; Hunger is the worlds greatest motivator. second place goes to being cold.

I went to Bootcamp with a man named Funderburk (honest, can't make that up). He barely qualified to get in the Navy, had a less than 8th grade reading level, got punished many times a day for not doing something right. We were sure he would break.

But everyday he practiced folding his close, had people check to make sure they were right, then re-did it. He practiced marching to a halt, to make sure his heals were lined up properly, he studied the book with a flash light after hours.

He got little sleep and gave himself no time to rest.

I asked him; "Dude, what keeps you going? I never see you take a break."
He said; "Ah gets 3 meals everyday and a place to sleep and cloths to wear. Ahn we ah gets out of boot, dey gunna pay me. No one neveh done that foh me before, so I aint quittin and going back ta home, cua there aint no place fo me there."

For me? Boot became very very easy. I figured it Funderburk could run on a couple of hours of sleep, it can't be that hard for me.

I went through boot in 1985, I can not recall my bunkmates name at all.

And drinking a tall can of Steel Reserve.

Four Loko.

These fucking idiot teachers don't realize that by putting a small sweet in a kid's lunch along with his sandwich his parents are actually showing that kid that as long as you eat well a little treat is OK.

But NOOOOO the teachers think they have a right to paw through a kids lunch and tell his parents what that kid can and can't eat,

If I had a kid in a school that did that, I'd be raising holy hell. In fact I would organize my own lunch police so i could paw through the teachers' lunches to make sure they weren't eating anything I didn't approve of. After all I wouldn't want my kid to be taught by someone immoral enough to eat a cookie.

Last edited:
These fucking idiot teachers don't realize that by putting a small sweet in a kid's lunch along with his sandwich is actually showing that kid that as long as you eat well a little treat is OK.

But NOOOOO the teachers think they have a right to paw through a kids lunch and tell his parents what that kid can and can't eat,

If I had a kid in a school that did that, I'd be raising holy hell. In fact I would organize my own lunch police so i could paw through the teachers' lunches to make sure they weren't eating anything I didn't approve of. After all I wouldn't want my kid to be taught by someone immoral enough to eat a cookie.

Good luck, those teachers are all going to Popeyes and Burger King for lunch, good luck getting those bags away from them.:eek:

These fucking idiot teachers don't realize that by putting a small sweet in a kid's lunch along with his sandwich is actually showing that kid that as long as you eat well a little treat is OK.

Good luck, those teachers are all going to Popeyes and Burger King for lunch, good luck getting those bags away from them.:eek:

I think that any teacher who eats any bad food even at home on their time off should be fired.

ZERO TOLERANCE!!!!!

I think that any teacher who eats any bad food even at home on their time off should be fired.

ZERO TOLERANCE!!!!!

:clap2::clap2::razz:

How is it the business of the school if a child brings a lunch from the home? what is this Communist Russia?

Yep. There is more to this than what they are telling the public. It is not about obesity' it is about "equity".

Chartwells sucks. That's who we use and the hot lunches are inedible. Half the food goes in the trash. So the only kids who have to eat this gruel are the ones on free lunch. Well some people think it's "not fair" that other kids are getting yummy food prepared at home.

This is "wealth distribution" at its most disgusting level. And if some kids go all day without food, so be it. Poor kids go hungry too. And if enough parents complain, maybe the lunches would improve. It's a political experiment using children as guinea pigs.

Schools are going with uniforms for the exact same reason. So everyone is the same.

My youngest has always been a finicky eater. He would starve before eating cafeteria food. If I were a parent at that school, I would raise holy hell.

How is it the business of the school if a child brings a lunch from the home? what is this Communist Russia?

Yep. There is more to this than what they are telling the public. It is not about obesity' it is about "equity".

Chartwells sucks. That's who we use and the hot lunches are inedible. Half the food goes in the trash. So the only kids who have to eat this gruel are the ones on free lunch. Well some people think it's "not fair" that other kids are getting yummy food prepared at home.

This is "wealth distribution" at its most disgusting level. And if some kids go all day without food, so be it. Poor kids go hungry too. And if enough parents complain, maybe the lunches would improve. It's a political experiment using children as guinea pigs.

Schools are going with uniforms for the exact same reason. So everyone is the same.

My youngest has always been a finicky eater. He would starve before eating cafeteria food. If I were a parent at that school, I would raise holy hell.

Yeah looks like everything is going to holy hell, next it will be like why does a Lawyer get paid so much more than a McDonalds fry and cook and before we know it BOOM, equal salaries across the board, welcome to Communist USA.

I love it: government or authority should behave as you do, treat others as adults...suggest, and then drop it. Try to educate, then assume that adults make the final decison.

James Madison: Education is the true foundation of civil liberty.

“We can't just leave it up to the parents." - Michelle Obama

I gotcha' back, and I'll hold ya' coat!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4trn2lJxl00]YouTube - Wizard of Oz- Put em up[/ame]

Well, perhaps this is a result Child Nutrition Bill Obama signed in December? We'll probably see more of it. Not sure what's in the bill, trying to find out.

Also, another school district here....I couldn't find out if this also has been implemented in St. Paul, MN or not yet..doesn't look like it has, yet. Can't seem to find out yet. Even so, looks like they are pushing for it.

"The St. Paul school district will make all public schools "sweet-free zones" by the end of the school year."
In St. Paul schools, the not-so-sweet life | StarTribune.com

Forum List

Back