Progress

Thank you. Only an idiot would wrestle In college. Our ass Coach was Steve Frazier Olympic gold medalist. He had us doing three practices a day. A 6am morning run, a noon 1 hour wrestle and a real practice in the evening.

I asked him “coach, did you go to college while u trained for the olympics?” And the answer was no. So he had us training for the olympics and going to college when all he ever did was train for the Olympics

If any of this were true, it would only mean you quit because you’re a pussy.
No I was more stupid than a pussy. No way I could have passed classes and wrestled too. It was too much for me. I had to quit wrestling.

If wrestling paid I would have stayed a jock but what I wanted was money and my best shot at money was getting a bachelors degree and getting into sales.
Thank you. Only an idiot would wrestle In college. Our ass Coach was Steve Frazier Olympic gold medalist. He had us doing three practices a day. A 6am morning run, a noon 1 hour wrestle and a real practice in the evening.

I asked him “coach, did you go to college while u trained for the olympics?” And the answer was no. So he had us training for the olympics and going to college when all he ever did was train for the Olympics

If any of this were true, it would only mean you quit because you’re a pussy.
No I was more stupid than a pussy. No way I could have passed classes and wrestled too. It was too much for me. I had to quit wrestling.

If wrestling paid I would have stayed a jock but what I wanted was money and my best shot at money was getting a bachelors degree and getting into sales.

I did it for 3 years, finally came to my senses my senior year. The worse part was coming back to an empty campus the day after Christmas so we could do 2 a days until New Year’s Eve. Then we would pile into a van for a 10 road trip. It was horrible.
Our ass coach Olympic gold medalist Steve Fraser had us doing 3 a days. Fuck that. Why would I go through that for $1500 a year? Get up at 5am to run 3-5 Miles, then go to classes, then go to the noon practice, then more classes, then the real practice at night and mandatory study hall every day? You would have to really like wrestling other young men to do all that.

As soon as I quit I went with other guys who just quit to a Thursday night fraternity keg party. Now that’s how you do college.

I would say "weakling," if you weren't just making it all up in the first place.
Actually my first year I won enough matches to be varsity. second year all league and third year I was all state. Most likely none of the kids on your team are as good as me. Are they weaklings? Are you a bad coach too?

I am a big believer in the basics, so that’s what we hammer home on a regular basis. But, some of the kids are really picking it up now so just for fun I’ve been teaching them some techniques that are pretty advanced for high school kids. I’ve been amazed at how quickly they have been picking it up. They are really absorbing new information well. Good to see and makes practice more interesting for them.

So, tonight one of the guys who has been working really really hard all year but not having too much success pulled out an unexpected win against a really good wrestler. He actually pulled off one of the more advanced techniques I have been showing them pretty much for fun. He’s a good kid, has not been in this country very long at all, and has been struggling to keep up with the demands of the sport. Everybody on the team was really excited for him. It’s great to see hard work paying off for young people. You could really see how happy he was with himself. That’s what makes sports great.

Now my voice is gone, so teaching tomorrow should be interesting.

I am a big believer in the basics, so that’s what we hammer home on a regular basis. But, some of the kids are really picking it up now so just for fun I’ve been teaching them some techniques that are pretty advanced for high school kids. I’ve been amazed at how quickly they have been picking it up. They are really absorbing new information well. Good to see and makes practice more interesting for them.

So, tonight one of the guys who has been working really really hard all year but not having too much success pulled out an unexpected win against a really good wrestler. He actually pulled off one of the more advanced techniques I have been showing them pretty much for fun. He’s a good kid, has not been in this country very long at all, and has been struggling to keep up with the demands of the sport. Everybody on the team was really excited for him. It’s great to see hard work paying off for young people. You could really see how happy he was with himself. That’s what makes sports great.

Now my voice is gone, so teaching tomorrow should be interesting.
Even the kids who lose learn something right? Hard to think you are invincible when you don’t finish first at every Saturday tournament you go to. My junior year I got lots of silvers and bronzes.

That would be fun coaching kids. I went up and wrestled with the kids a couple times after college. A lot of work. If I were coach they would be live wrestling most of the practice. Neutral, on top, on bottom, ready, wrestle. Non stop. Only one way to get in shape for wrestling and that’s to wrestle. I hated the runs. Round and round the cafeteria.

Took them for a run outside today, and he was the first one around every time. Pushed them all to the brink of collapse, but he never quit. Gotta admire the young man (and his teammates, of course).

Probably too cold and snowy for my favorite outdoor run tomorrow. Maybe later in the week.

There is a beat up, sort of crumbling skate park not far from the school covered in gang tags and shit where there’s a giant hole in the fence and we can get in there. The first step is to check the area carefully for used needles and shit. I made a sort of ninja warrior circuit for the kids to work around however many times they need to. They hate it and they love it. It’s a hell of a workout. Tomorrow we will start in the weight room then get on the mats.

Took them for a run outside today, and he was the first one around every time. Pushed them all to the brink of collapse, but he never quit. Gotta admire the young man (and his teammates, of course).

Probably too cold and snowy for my favorite outdoor run tomorrow. Maybe later in the week.

There is a beat up, sort of crumbling skate park not far from the school covered in gang tags and shit where there’s a giant hole in the fence and we can get in there. The first step is to check the area carefully for used needles and shit. I made a sort of ninja warrior circuit for the kids to work around however many times they need to. They hate it and they love it. It’s a hell of a workout. Tomorrow we will start in the weight room then get on the mats.
Remember I started wrestling very late. Tenth grade. Most of you guys have been wrestling from 7th grade. The only thing that gave me an edge was my incredible strength. You keep those kids lifting and wrestling.

How are the girls doing? The girls who tried it when I went to school didn’t last very long. About as long as I did in college wrestling. Lol

Remember I started wrestling very late. Tenth grade. Most of you guys have been wrestling from 7th grade. The only thing that gave me an edge was my incredible strength. .....

Want a hint about why you're all alone? Stop fucking talking about yourself. This is not about you, not about me, it is about some kids working hard at - what forum are we in? - sports. Stop being such a self-centered, shit-talking, prevaricator.

Remember I started wrestling very late. Tenth grade. Most of you guys have been wrestling from 7th grade. The only thing that gave me an edge was my incredible strength. .....

Want a hint about why you're all alone? Stop fucking talking about yourself. This is not about you, not about me, it is about some kids working hard at - what forum are we in? - sports. Stop being such a self-centered, shit-talking, prevaricator.
My high school head coach got divorced because he was so dedicated to the team. What about her and their two young boys? They felt he was neglecting them. My brothers wife and his kids are waiting for him to get home and be part of the family after work and on weekends. My head coach didn’t get home till 8pm. I don’t think he was happy at home. How did his wife put up with it? She didn’t. They got a divorce.

And then going to Saturday tournaments? That’s a lot of time not at home.

After he finished school today, my oldest came with me to practice. He enjoyed watching his old man coach the kids. The only problem is he wanted to get on the mat at the high school kids.

After he finished school today, my oldest came with me to practice. He enjoyed watching his old man coach the kids. The only problem is he wanted to get on the mat at the high school kids.
My coach occasionally brought his 2 sons to Saturday tournaments. Or when we went to wrestling camp in traverse city. The little shit told coach I was chewing tobacco in the back of the van.

So, the kid in question went out and got another pin tonight. Another kid on the team who is the working just as hard and probably started with further to go also managed, after a lot of hair pulling bad decisions and uncertain scrambling, to get a pin. It drives some of the other kids crazy that he always speaks to me in Spanish. A couple of the other kids didn’t win their matches but fought really hard and showed a lot of guts and improvement. We’re all pretty proud of how hard these guys and girls have been working this year. Hopefully, they will remember that persistence, no matter how hard or how long it takes, can really pay off.

Last edited:
Well, a long season is drawing to an end. It’s a lot of work in addition to all my other jobs, but a MAN works hard to provide for his family. I’m sure a lot of you MEN out there reading this know what I mean (and women as well, of course). If you can do so well staying true to your principles and your faith while also just maybe making the world a tiny bit better in the process, so much the better. Of course the kids are all interested in continuing to wrestle during the off-season, and I’m putting together workout and nutrition programs for each of them. There are some good summer camps around here and a lot of good summer tournaments like the Baystate games and such. Me and my assistant coach might put together our own summer program if we can work out the details.

Forum List

Back