Progress

another worthless post by a "what can the government do for me Democrat" they just cant believe that Clintons hand-picked Bitch lost. If Gore didnt lose, Why in the world did he concide, and admit he was beaten? I believe I hear yahoo looking for you.

The one thing that's for sure is that the 2000 Presidential election was a major debacle in Florida, which exposed many inaccuracies and flaws with our current voting system in America.

The first inkling I had of problems with the Florida election was during a televised interview with a Democrat voter. This "gentleman" was interviewed on the front porch of his trailer. He was wearing a filthy sleeveless tee shirt. He was unwashed and unkempt. And he appeared to be somewhat less than sober. He whined that he had meant to vote for Gore, but wasn't sure if he had in fact accomplished this task.

After this interview there followed a media blitz where the networks scrambled to outdo each other in finding voters who felt cheated. Honestly, it looked like some demented easter egg hunt. Old folks, nursing home residents, drunks, uneducated people of all ethnic persuasions and some who were just out to lunch were paraded before the cameras to tell their tale of confusion and error.

The fact is that the ballots used in Florida were neither complex nor confusing. Matter of fact, I recall that a third grade teacher reproduced the ballots and told her class to vote for certain candidates. The purpose was to see if the children could decipher the ballot succesfully and vote for the stipulated candidates. Guess what - third graders are smarter than many Florida voters.

Perhaps we can improve the election mechanics. But I submit that no matter how hard we try, there is not now, nor will there ever be a system which can be immune to the foolishness of the incompetent, the stupid, the senile or the intoxicated.

Forum List

Back