Professor-X and Nightcrawler: American Dollmakers [Harper's Bazaar]

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
This is a capitalism-consciousness vignette about modernism technology (e.g., Internet) and how humanity seems focused on the contours/ergonomics of intellectual designs.

This species-value rhetoric tale was inspired by K-PAX and Enemy of the State. Since it's politically-critical in scope, I chose to post it in General Discussion rather than in the Writing section.

====

"Professor X was a concerned scholar of telekinesis at Johns Hopkins University [JHU]. Professor X believed all the modern wireless communication technologies (e.g., email, WiFi, Bluetooth, Skype, etc.) created a sort of 'virtual psychic' network that was 'completely electrical in signature.' In other words, telekinesis involved the metaphysical application of ethereal psychic powers, while the Internet was an 'electronic grid' of networks. Since humans were so obsessed with Internet/WiFi, they were forgetting about the 'basic magic' of telekinesis mythologies. That's why Professor X, an excellent diplomat of classical theology, was interested in telekinesis, and was therefore an esteemed educator in America.

From a faraway planet called Dynotia, an eerie psychic humanoid lizard-like wall-crawling super-agile and super-strong 'being' named Nightcrawler was observing these studies of Professor X and decided to visit Johns Hopkins to debate with the esteemed scholar of telekinesis. When Nightcrawler arrived on Earth, he cloaked himself in his invisibility-shield to remain clandestine and stealthily moved towards Professor X's office at JHU. When Nightcrawler burst into Professor X's office, he noticed that the scholar was in a wheelchair and reading a book called A Separate Peace.

PROFESSOR-X: Who (or what) the hell are you?
NIGHTCRAWLER: I'm an alien from a planet called Dynotia.
PROFESSOR-X: Why are you in my office? What do you want with me?
NIGHTCRAWLER: I'm interested in your studies about Internet/telekinesis!
PROFESSOR-X: Why?
NIGHTCRAWLER: Human civilization is electrical in nature...
PROFESSOR-X: So what?
NIGHTCRAWLER: On Dynotia, we've condoned slavery.
PROFESSOR-X: That's not wise, but why are you telling me?
NIGHTCRAWLER: Do you think the Internet is a form of slavery?
PROFESSOR-X: Well, these days, people exhibit obsessive-behaviors with Facebook.
NIGHTCRAWLER: I know about Facebook; are humans 'dependent' on the Internet?
PROFESSOR-X: I believe we humans appreciate the conveniences of networking.
NIGHTCRAWLER: Yet, you study the metaphysics of telekinesis...
PROFESSOR-X: Yes, telekinesis may be a spiritual expression backlash against technology!
NIGHTCRAWLER: That's intriguing; that's why I wanted to visit you.
PROFESSOR-X: You believe that Dynotian slavery is 'linked' to human Internet activity?
NIGHTCRAWLER: It seems Facebook-obsession is like 'labor-violence.'
PROFESSOR-X: Well, we humans are somewhat lackadaisical about recreation.

After Nightcrawler concluded that the pensive Professor X at JHU was very concerned about humanity's obsession with Internet/Facebook and why the 'magic' of telekinesis-mythology was a spiritual 'backlash' against modern dependency on technology, Nightcrawler decided that telekinesis on Earth was akin to 'ghost-stories.' Nightcrawler departed from Earth and returned to Dynotia and told his master (Galvatron) and brother (Mysterio) there that human 'Internet' was a 'totem' of great networking aspirations but also a source of obsessive behaviors. Professor X meanwhile wrote an editorial in Harper's Bazaar about humanity's fascination with capitalism-based toys (e.g., Monopoly board-game). Would humanity be viewed as a species of great molded intelligence?"

====

{Professor X and Nightcrawler}

nc3.jpg

Forum List

Back