Professor Wants Filmaker Arrested

LogikAndReazon

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2012
Anthea Butler is an Associate Professor of Religious Studies at the University of Pennsylvania. The title of her most recent book, The Gospel According to Sarah: How Sarah Palin’s Tea Party Angels Are Galvanizing the Religious Right, gives you a pretty good idea of where she stands politically.

This morning, she strongly implied that Sam Bacile is responsible for yesterday’s embassy attacks and, as a result, should be tossed into jail.

Bacile is an Israeli filmmaker who lives in California and has gone into hiding. He made the crappy movie that is being used as a pretext to justify the violence that erupted in Egypt and Libya yesterday.

But is making a movie that makes Muslims angry a crime? Butler appears to think so.

Of course, like any academic, Butler purports to support free speech rights:

@AntheaButler And yes, I know we have First Amendment rights,but if you don't understand the Religion you hate, STFU about it. Yes, I am ticked off.—
Anthea Butler (@AntheaButler) September 12, 2012
12 Sep 12
But it is clear that she gets most excited when arguing that those rights are highly circumscribed:

@AntheaButler @blmoyer And people do to jail for speech. First Amendment doesn't cover EVERYTHING a PERSON says.—
12 Sep 12 @AntheaButler I am all for free speech, but you better damn well understand that actions have consequences, and what you mock is another persons belief.—
12 Sep 12

Im ticked off too. Blame the filmmaker. Dont at all blame the people who actually murdered the Ambassador and invaded our enemies.

A pro-al Qaeda group responsible for a previous armed assault on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi is the chief suspect in Tuesday's attack that killed the U.S. ambassador to Libya, sources tracking militant Islamist groups in eastern Libya say.

They also note that the attack immediately followed a call from al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri for revenge for the death in June of a senior Libyan member of the terror group Abu Yahya al-Libi.

The group suspected to be behind the assault -- the Imprisoned Omar Abdul Rahman Brigades -- first surfaced in May, when it claimed responsibility for an attack on the International Red Cross office in Benghazi. The following month the group claimed responsibility for detonating an explosive device outside the U.S. Consulate, and later released a video of that attack.

Pro-al Qaeda group seen behind deadly Benghazi attack - CNN.com

Since when do we arrest people in the US for freedom of speech. Tell that Nazi professer to get her ass the hell outta the US.

Seems the general consensus according to idiots is that it's okay to arrest anyone who commits the henious crime of insulting Muslims. When the Muslims respond by killing people, the idiots say they are justified.

These aren't extremists committing these murders, they are typical of the Muslim Brotherhood and their ilk. Obama supported the Arab Spring, despite the MB telling everyone to prepare for a war with Israel. Obama treats the MB like a friendly ally, rather than the terrorists they are. And he treats Israel like our enemy instead the ally that they are. I thought Obama was president of the U.S., not the middle east.

Now Obama refuses to meet with the Israel Prime Minister and instead books a gig on Letterman's show. Scheduling conflicts, my ass.

I'm still trying to figure out who the heck the film maker is. It shouldn't matter but obviously it does to a lot of libs who want this person strung up by the balls.

Bacile seems to be a pseudonym. But you have everyone and their mother reporting that it's Terry Jones, Coptic Christians and so on.

This is nuts. Peoples lives could be in danger with wrong reporting.

Here's Goldberg:

As part of my search for more information about Sam Bacile, the alleged producer of the now-infamous anti-Muhammad film trailer "The Innocence of Muslims," I just called a man named Steve Klein -- a self-described militant Christian activist in Riverside, California (whose actual business, he said, is in selling "hard-to-place home insurance"), who has been described in multiple media accounts as a consultant to the film.

Klein told me that Bacile, the producer of the film, is not Israeli, and most likely not Jewish, as has been reported, and that the name is, in fact, a pseudonym. He said he did not know "Bacile"'s real name. He said Bacile contacted him because he leads anti-Islam protests outside of mosques and schools, and because, he said, he is a Vietnam veteran and an expert on uncovering al Qaeda cells in California. "After 9/11 I went out to look for terror cells in California and found them, piece of cake. Sam found out about me. The Middle East Christian and Jewish communities trust me."

US ambassador Chris Stevens killed in Libya - live updates | World news | guardian.co.uk

Anthea Butler is an Associate Professor of Religious Studies at the University of Pennsylvania. The title of her most recent book, The Gospel According to Sarah: How Sarah Palin’s Tea Party Angels Are Galvanizing the Religious Right, gives you a pretty good idea of where she stands politically.

This morning, she strongly implied that Sam Bacile is responsible for yesterday’s embassy attacks and, as a result, should be tossed into jail.

Bacile is an Israeli filmmaker who lives in California and has gone into hiding. He made the crappy movie that is being used as a pretext to justify the violence that erupted in Egypt and Libya yesterday.

But is making a movie that makes Muslims angry a crime? Butler appears to think so.

@AntheaButler And yes, I know we have First Amendment rights,but if you don't understand the Religion you hate, STFU about it. Yes, I am ticked off.—
12 Sep 12
But it is clear that she gets most excited when arguing that those rights are highly circumscribed:

@AntheaButler @blmoyer And people do to jail for speech. First Amendment doesn't cover EVERYTHING a PERSON says.—
12 Sep 12 @AntheaButler I am all for free speech, but you better damn well understand that actions have consequences, and what you mock is another persons belief.—
12 Sep 12

Butler cannot give any reasons why Freedom of Speech doesn't cover mocking someone's belief. Just where has she been all her life? It sounds like she's "ticked off" pretty easily. Does she feel that she can go act on her anger?

The only ones with more pussified sensiblities and violent reactionary tendencies are liberals and their media sycophants..............

They make jihadists appear tame....................................

I'm still trying to figure out who the heck the film maker is. It shouldn't matter but obviously it does to a lot of libs who want this person strung up by the balls.

Bacile seems to be a pseudonym. But you have everyone and their mother reporting that it's Terry Jones, Coptic Christians and so on.

This is nuts. Peoples lives could be in danger with wrong reporting.

Here's Goldberg:

As part of my search for more information about Sam Bacile, the alleged producer of the now-infamous anti-Muhammad film trailer "The Innocence of Muslims," I just called a man named Steve Klein -- a self-described militant Christian activist in Riverside, California (whose actual business, he said, is in selling "hard-to-place home insurance"), who has been described in multiple media accounts as a consultant to the film.

Klein told me that Bacile, the producer of the film, is not Israeli, and most likely not Jewish, as has been reported, and that the name is, in fact, a pseudonym. He said he did not know "Bacile"'s real name. He said Bacile contacted him because he leads anti-Islam protests outside of mosques and schools, and because, he said, he is a Vietnam veteran and an expert on uncovering al Qaeda cells in California. "After 9/11 I went out to look for terror cells in California and found them, piece of cake. Sam found out about me. The Middle East Christian and Jewish communities trust me."

US ambassador Chris Stevens killed in Libya - live updates | World news | guardian.co.uk

Is this real? This is batshit crazy, even for Americans.

The left would like to see a law criminalizing criticism of islam just as muslims want.

So what? This Prof. doesn't have the right to speak her mind?

That being said, I disagree with her.

According to some, the film insults Moslems. In our nation, we have the freedom to be as stupid and objectionable as we like. We also have the right to state that, as a society, we also find purposeful insults to others objectionable.

The reactions of the Egyptians that sacked our embassy were criminal. While they had the right to object, and state that the film was wrong, they did not have the right to do violence to our embassy. If the Egyptian government fails to punish the miscreants, then we need to apply appriate measures that will make them wish they had.

The Libyan situation is not clear at the moment. The government there has apologized profusely, and promised co-operation in bringing the murderer to justice. I have heard statements that there were Libyans defending the embassy. If this is the case, then we need to aid them in all ways possible, as long as they are acting in good faith. In the meantime, if Al Queda is involved, then the Al Queda leaders in that nation need to be targeted as we have been doing in other nations. One thing this President has made clear is that if you are involved in the murder of Americans, you will die.

Last edited:
Anthea Butler

Anthea Butler is a historian of American and African American Religion, specializing in African American Religious History, Evangelicalism, Pentecostalism, Gender, and Religion and Popular Culture. She is associate professor of religion at the University of Pennsylvania. She is author, most recently, of Women in the Church of God in Christ: Making A Sanctified World (UNC Press, 2007).
Search CRCC Search
Areas of Expertise
International Scholarship
Non-governmental Organizations, Civil Society and Social Issues
Religion and Generations
Religion in Southern California
Religion, Diversity and Pluralism
Scholarly Resource Development
Supporting Interdisciplinary Scholarly Groups
Visual Documentation of Religion

Engaging Scholars, Building Communities
The Center for Religion and Civic Culture at USC was founded in 1996 to create, translate, and disseminate scholarship on the civic role of religion in a globalizing world.

Upcoming Events
Relics: A Matter of Contention Between Jews and Christians in Late Antiquity
September 13, 2012
University Park Campus
Social Sciences Building (SOS)

LMFAO

12 Sep 12

12 Sep 12
Dear Associate Butler:

I suggest you audit a Constitutional law class sometime. Because you don't know shit about the First Amendment.

Hint: There is no right to not be offended.

New Topics

Forum List

Back