CDZ Professor/teachers union action

sakinago

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2012
Prof calls Trump election 'act of terrorism' during class

I came across this story and am curious as to how both sides feel about this behavior from both the professor and the teachers union.

Personally I think the professor is too busy telling kids what to learn, instead of how to learn and therefore not really doing her job, although nobody probably cares about that. But she is certainly entitled to her opinion.

The union on the other hand is definitely in the wrong, certainly bullying, and legally probably way off. I'm sure the come out like every other college professor, gave her students permission to record the lectures. But anyway the union is well out of hand in this situation

How does what one person says about an election make it into an issue with all teachers and the union some belong to?

Personally I think the professor is too busy telling kids what to learn, instead of how to learn and therefore not really doing her job, although nobody probably cares about that.

Teachers are paid to teach kids what to learn, that is their job...They laso teach them how to learn by telling them what to learn, that is their job..Your assumption is illogical, as you indicate that you care...

Personally I think the professor is too busy telling kids what to learn, instead of how to learn and therefore not really doing her job, although nobody probably cares about that.

Teachers are paid to teach kids what to learn, that is their job...They laso teach them how to learn by telling them what to learn, that is their job..Your assumption is illogical, as you indicate that you care...
Really...a psychology professor who places the label of terrorism on what half the country of 320 million of her own people voted for? She sounds like a bad psychologist to me. Dismissing half of the participants in the presidential election as participants in terrorism? Does that sound like reasonable statement coming from a psychologist when referring to a peaceful democratic process in a constitutional republic? It's not a reasonable statement, it's very much so an overdramatic statement, and shows that she is not making an effort to understand one half of the binary political spectrum in this country. She is another by-product of a monotone higher educationial system. I wouldn't want me, or my kids learning psychology from her, especially for the over inflated price id be paying. That's my problem with her, a psychology prof. Incapable of using her profession when it comes to people who disagree with her.

And there is a very big difference between teaching facts/theroies/data etc, and teaching how to learn. Both are very important, the later is probably most important, after all that's pretty much the originally intention of the liberal arts. I don't know what point you're making there but you may want to redact that.

And I've never made a blanket statement about unions and profs, I'm asking about this specific situation, so please don't dodge that question.

Really...a psychology professor who places the label of terrorism on what half the country of 320 million of her own people voted for? She sounds like a bad psychologist to me. Dismissing half of the participants in the presidential election as participants in terrorism? Does that sound like reasonable statement coming from a psychologist when referring to a peaceful democratic process in a constitutional republic? It's not a reasonable statement, it's very much so an overdramatic statement, and shows that she is not making an effort to understand one half of the binary political spectrum in this country. She is another by-product of a monotone higher educationial system. I wouldn't want me, or my kids learning psychology from her, especially for the over inflated price id be paying. That's my problem with her, a psychology prof. Incapable of using her profession when it comes to people who disagree with her.

And there is a very big difference between teaching facts/theroies/data etc, and teaching how to learn. Both are very important, the later is probably most important, after all that's pretty much the originally intention of the liberal arts. I don't know what point you're making there but you may want to redact that.

And I've never made a blanket statement about unions and profs, I'm asking about this specific situation, so please don't dodge that question.
Professor/teachers union action
This infers a plurality, not a singular..

Add comments of value, or leave the debate. Troll grammar elsewhere.

I would like you to try to make me leave...One person stating their opinion is not trolling....If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.....This women broke protocol, but it has nothing to do with all teachers or the union they may be a member of...Her actions can be reported and they can have a review of her actions by the board of regents.

Academia, along with two political dynasties, the Dems, the Republican establishment, the media and Hollywood were all trounced by Trump.

They are acting accordingly, except of course the Republican establishment which has more class. :)

Academia, along with two political dynasties, the Dems, the Republican establishment, the media and Hollywood were all trounced by Trump.

They are acting accordingly, except of course the Republican establishment which has more class. :)

If true, this would highlight just how isolated the president-elect is. He is not head of a party, he does not come from the fraternity of politics, he has no 'hold' on Congress. That means he can only turn to his own counsel and his own counselors. Anyone in that situation has narrow choices, a possible handicap.

If true, this would highlight just how isolated the president-elect is. He is not head of a party, he does not come from the fraternity of politics, he has no 'hold' on Congress. That means he can only turn to his own counsel and his own counselors. Anyone in that situation has narrow choices, a possible handicap.
Of course it's true. I mean it's history after all. Trump took his case directly to the people and even through the filter of all the institutions listed above, he prevailed.

Is he a populist?, yes, of course. Is he going to turn to his own counsel? yes of course. Will he listen to his chosen counselors, yes of course.

I really don't understand your point.

In such a diverse universe the US president inhabits, the broadest and most eclectic counsel would be optimal. Look at history. Leaders surrounded by sycophants fail.

In such a diverse universe the US president inhabits, the broadest and most eclectic counsel would be optimal. Look at history. Leaders surrounded by sycophants fail.
you mean like Van Jones, Holder, the black skank who was chief of staff, and the Beast.

BLM would consider that optimal, but few others.

I would like you to try to make me leave...One person stating their opinion is not trolling....If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.....This women broke protocol, but it has nothing to do with all teachers or the union they may be a member of...Her actions can be reported and they can have a review of her actions by the board of regents.
What heat are you throwing around in the kitchen?? It may make you feel good about yourself when you're correcting, but grammar is not a big deal to most people. Just stay on topic, that's all that was asked. You shouldn't be pulling the whole "you're not my dad," bit.

And I really don't think you read the article. I'm not sure what protocol the teacher broke. And you think it's OK for a union to threaten legal action against students who brought this professor to their attention? Because they recorded her?

Prof calls Trump election 'act of terrorism' during class

I came across this story and am curious as to how both sides feel about this behavior from both the professor and the teachers union.

Personally I think the professor is too busy telling kids what to learn, instead of how to learn and therefore not really doing her job, although nobody probably cares about that. But she is certainly entitled to her opinion.

The union on the other hand is definitely in the wrong, certainly bullying, and legally probably way off. I'm sure the come out like every other college professor, gave her students permission to record the lectures. But anyway the union is well out of hand in this situation
Really it's just one more example of what is wrong with "higher education". As a college professor acquaintance of mine says, "Too often my colleagues are trying to teach what to think, not how to think." (that may not be a direct quote, but it's close enough)
Undergraduate studies were originally designed to educate students as much on how to think, and come to a conclusion, as the actual subject matter. That is the difference between college and high school. High school is more about facts, figures, information, whereas college is more about how do you get the information, and what do you do with it. It isn't until graduate school that one really gets into the "meat and potatoes" of their chosen field.

One of the problems with education today. Many of those in education think that they have a viable and proper platform to spread their own propaganda. Things like this do not belong in the classroom and if I were a student I would be rather angry that I paid for a product - the classroom instruction - and was receiving political propaganda in its place.

If you would bother to click the link and skim the article you would understand the statement. I do not understand what you expect to gain by pulling a few words out that are entirely explained in the linked material and them whining to the OP about your incorrect assumptions about them.

Forum List

Back