Professor spends $1,000 to challenge $45 speeding ticket

fuzzykitten99 said:
the ones here wait on the on ramps, so there is NO way to see them before you pass under a bridge. if you are going too fast, there's no way to slow down before they zap you.

by the time you see them, its too late.
I'm all for it..I'd support them riding in your trunk to catch you speeding..I think you missed my point.

archangel said:
Taking the safety issue aside...do you realize that doing 90mph vs 65 mph only gets you to your destination minutes faster...and you burn approximately 40% more fuel...then you have the nerve to complain about fuel prices..economics 101...supply and demand ring a bell? :(

Psst.. Where have I complained one iotta about the cost of gas? I bought a gas guzzler because I *liked* it. Driving 75 to work rather than 65 gets me there a good 10-15 mins quicker.. That's a lot of minutes. :)

archangel said:
Taking the safety issue aside...do you realize that doing 90mph vs 65 mph only gets you to your destination minutes faster...and you burn approximately 40% more fuel...then you have the nerve to complain about fuel prices..economics 101...supply and demand ring a bell? :(

When my son was 6 he had a theory that if you moved real slowly your life would be longer becuase you wouldn't reach death as quickly. Cracked me up.

dilloduck said:
When my son was 6 he had a theory that if you moved real slowly your life would be longer becuase you wouldn't reach death as quickly. Cracked me up.

Damn good analogy for a six year old...gotta love em! :baby:

Shattered said:
Psst.. Where have I complained one iotta about the cost of gas? I bought a gas guzzler because I *liked* it. Driving 75 to work rather than 65 gets me there a good 10-15 mins quicker.. That's a lot of minutes. :)

I'm complaining cause when alot of ya all exceed the limit for silly reasons ya cause me to have to pay more for fuel....supply and demand take over..... ;)

archangel said:
I'm complaining cause when alot of ya all exceed the limit for silly reasons ya cause me to have to pay more for fuel....supply and de,mand take over..... ;)

Then get off my freeway, and ride your bike - you're going about the same speed anyway. :D:D

(sorry - couldn't resist) :happy2:

Shattered said:
Then get off my freeway, and ride your bike - you're going about the same speed anyway. :D:D

(sorry - couldn't resist) :happy2:

as your freeway is about 2000 miles from me...and I certainly hope you make it past the big 60...then you can also still ride a bike...(couldn't resist!) :laugh:

archangel said:
as your freeway is about 2000 miles from me...and I certainly hope you make it past the big 60...then you can also still ride a bike...(couldn't resist!) :laugh:

I absolutely refuse to turn 60. I'm still 29, have been for years, and will stay that way until I'm at least 40, or until my face starts to wrinkle.

Shattered said:
I absolutely refuse to turn 60. I'm still 29, have been for years, and will stay that way until I'm at least 40, or until my face starts to wrinkle.

we all say that until the big 40 arrives one look in the mirror...naked and ya go OMG nature is catching up with me...ya slow down to preserve what is left..... :eek: :funnyface

archangel said:
we all say that until the big 40 arrives one look in the mirror...naked and ya go OMG nature is catching up with me...ya slow down to preserve what is left..... :eek: :funnyface

Your hardly that old!!! ;)

Bonnie said:
Your hardly that old!!! ;)

chronologically yes....mentally debateable....as the old saying goes.."ya are only as old as ya feel" then again whoever said this must have been young! :crutch:

Shattered said:
Check yer watch it's broken! On a 50 mile trip the difference between 75 mph and 65 mph is only 6 minutes, and that would be unobstructed straight line full speed driving. In a 100 mile trip, just 12 minutes.
All things considered, even under ideal conditions, it just ain't worth it.. :)

archangel said:

Also at higher rates of speed you increase wear and tear on your vehicle by some 50%!

The only reason it only takes minutes faster to get their is all the slowing down when someone is going 55 in the left lane. When im driving at night and do 90mph, i get to my destination minutes faster. Like 45 minutes to 60 minutes faster.

Laws for slower speeds or stop signs in residential areas make sense. You're protecting people other than the driver. But what about the 35mph Speed limit on a 4 lane road for a 3 mile stretch that happens to be one township, when its 55 before this stretch and returns to it when your out of their jurisdiction? Who is that protecting? There are no sidewalks, no pedestrians walking across this 4 lane road. They have 10 Traffic lights in 3 miles and a 35mph speed limit on what should be a highway. Tell me what is that for?

Back to highways, that makes the least amount of sense. States dictate the speed. Why is it safe to go 75mph in NC but you have to go 55mph in PA on the same road (I95)? Same road. Same basic straight driving conditions. 4 to 8 lanes in both states. Whats the freakin difference?

Mr. P said:
Check yer watch it's broken! On a 50 mile trip the difference between 75 mph and 65 mph is only 6 minutes, and that would be unobstructed straight line full speed driving. In a 100 mile trip, just 12 minutes.
All things considered, even under ideal conditions, it just ain't worth it.. :)

Im sorry is this not America? Why cant i drive 130mph in the fast lane in my gas guzzling hummer if i want to? As long as i dont endanger other people, im fine. I can drive perfectly fine at high speeds without endangering others. Why is there a law that has to protect me from myself? There should be no laws created to protect people from themselves!! That is one of the biggest problems with this country. Speeding protects no one and funds local or state governments.

I have driven on both the Autobah and Autostrada where there basically is no speed limit. Yes, there is something posted, but as long as you aren't a lunatic, you can drive as fast as it is safe - which means if no one is around, 125+ is fine. If the posted speed limit is 60 mph but there are tons of cars around and driving that fast would be unsafe, you will get pulled over.

Driving fast isn't what is unsafe. It is when the people who have no business driving fast - do. Think about the times you get in a row of 3 or 4 cars cruising down the freeway - everybody is in the left lane doing 70 - usually no problem unless someone else changes lanes or does something stupid. The 3 or 4 cars in that row are doing just fine until something from the "outside" happens.

Shattered can't do more than 10 mph over the posted speed limit on a curve. I can usually do 35 or 40. Is my driving 20 over the posted speed limit on a curve twice as unsafe as her driving 10 over?

insein said:
The only reason it only takes minutes faster to get their is all the slowing down when someone is going 55 in the left lane. When im driving at night and do 90mph, i get to my destination minutes faster. Like 45 minutes to 60 minutes faster.

Laws for slower speeds or stop signs in residential areas make sense. You're protecting people other than the driver. But what about the 35mph Speed limit on a 4 lane road for a 3 mile stretch that happens to be one township, when its 55 before this stretch and returns to it when your out of their jurisdiction? Who is that protecting? There are no sidewalks, no pedestrians walking across this 4 lane road. They have 10 Traffic lights in 3 miles and a 35mph speed limit on what should be a highway. Tell me what is that for?

Back to highways, that makes the least amount of sense. States dictate the speed. Why is it safe to go 75mph in NC but you have to go 55mph in PA on the same road (I95)? Same road. Same basic straight driving conditions. 4 to 8 lanes in both states. Whats the freakin difference?

There are stretches in Nevada where you can go 75mph...also if you are arriving to your destination at 90mph some 45-60 minutes faster you are driving quite a distance...and does the 45-60 minutes really make a difference? It sure does as fuel use goes as well as wear and tear on your vehicle...not to mention increasing your demise by accident chances...so ya save a big 45minutes...whoopee! And you cause me to pay more for fuel...wow aren't you the gracious one!

insein said:
Im sorry is this not America? Why cant i drive 130mph in the fast lane in my gas guzzling hummer if i want to? As long as i dont endanger other people, im fine. I can drive perfectly fine at high speeds without endangering others. Why is there a law that has to protect me from myself? There should be no laws created to protect people from themselves!! That is one of the biggest problems with this country. Speeding protects no one and funds local or state governments.

The US highways are overall not safe for that speed. Here in Idaho there is
no middle crash protection. If you blow a tire at 130 you fly of the street pretty fast. The slower you drive the more likely you can keep control.

Its not about you in your hummer you egomaniac its about other people
getting endangered while you get your testerone rush :cof:

insein said:
I thought you were older than the 18 yr old you're coming across as.
I agree no law should be in place to protect you from yourself.
What you miss here is, these speed limit laws protect me from people like you that want to
drive 130..I know you don't understand that..It's not just you, so don't feel alone.
The fact is though, MOST people see the reason for such laws, recognizing that MOST
people driving at 90 or 130 are unsafe and a risk to everyone else.

Oh yeah, to answer the question, why can't you drive 130 if I don't endanger anybody?
Fact is you do endanger people, and I think you know that.

Mr. P said:
What you miss here is, these speed limit laws protect me from people like you that want to
drive 130..I know you don't understand that..It's not just you, so don't feel alone.
The fact is though, MOST people see the reason for such laws, recognizing that MOST

Oh yeah, to answer the question, why can't you drive 130 if I don't endanger anybody?

thanks for the insult. Your missing the point. Who are you to decide that i am endangering you? If i can drive safely at 130 and you cant drive safe at 65 how am i any more a threat then you are?

What this really boils down to is a level of control that the government has over the people. This level of control simply makes them more money then others do. People understand not to drive to fast. The government treats us like kids though and makes abide ridiculous speed limits. Most people drive at safe speeds with the occasional person that wants to drive faster. Just like most people drink alcohol and can handle it with the occasional person that goes overboard. The government just wants to step in and act as our nanny to keep us in line and to grab a few extra dollars doing it.

Mr. P said:

I'm not going to jump on the "Government has no right telling it's people what to do" bandwagon, but I will say this: There needs to be something done about the speed limit situation. Much of the research simply does not back-up the reasoning behind those limits.

There are some people, from what I have read (and you should know who you are), who feel like that 'cannot' seem to control their car at speed.

Easy solution: Keep the hell out of the left lane, please.

So here is an idea: What about graduated licensing.

Those who don't feel confident with their driving; i.e. a couple of people who posted in this thread, would have a D-Class license. This would allow them to drive only during daylight, at speeds not exceeding 45mph. They would be forbidden to travel on interstate, mulitlane highways. They would be allowed passengers over the age of 18.

C-Class license: This would allow both night and day operation, at speeds upto 65mph, and only allowed to use the right-hand most lane of highways. Allowed passengers of any age. Only during heavy merging would this person be allowed into an 'other than right-hand' lane, and then only for a distance not to exceed 1/8 mile.

B-Class: The above but changed to allow for speeds of up to 130mph, and can use the center lane for travel, left-lane by exception.

A-Class: Up to 175mph, No lane or travel restrictions.

NR-Class: No speed restriction; Drivers are allowed to pass on any available piece of concrete - as long as it's to the LEFT of the person being passed. This includes shoulders and medians.

Obviously the people with the NR, A, and B class licenses will have the proper training and certification. This is easy achieved by taking classes and being graded on practical application.

If they can restrict your driving because of eye-sight, they certainly should be able to allow certain drivers a speed consideration due to ability and training.

Forum List

Back