Professor Philip Jones.

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
Professor Phil Jones - University of East Anglia (UEA)

Professor Phil Jones
Current Post: Director, CRU

Room Number: CRU 1.06

Telephone: 01603 592090 (+44 1603 592090)

Fax: 01603 507784 (+44 1603 507784)

Email: [email protected]

Research Interests

Instrumental climate change; paleoclimate, particularly over the last 2000 years; riverflow reconstruction from longer rainfall records; weather generators.

Biography

I am the Director of the Climatic Research Unit (CRU) and a Professor in the School of Environmental Sciences at the University of East Anglia in Norwich. I am principally known for the time series of hemispheric and global surface temperatures, which I update on a monthly basis. I have numerous research papers over the last 25 years. I have been a fellow of the Royal Meteorological Society since 1992 and was on the Editorial Committee of the International Journal of Climatology until 1995. I am currently on the editorial board of Climatic Change. I am an elected member of Academia Europaea since 1998.

I was jointly awarded the Hugh Robert Mill Medal in 1995 by the Royal Meteorological Society for work on UK Rainfall Variability, and in 1997 the Outstanding Scientific Paper Award by the Environmental Research Laboratories / NOAA for being a coauthor on the paper "A search for Human Influences on the Thermal Structure of the Atmosphere," by Ben Santer et al. in Nature, 382, 39-46 (1996). More recently I was awarded the first Hans Oesschger Medal from the European Geophysical Society (now the European Geosciences Union) in 2002 and the International Journal of Climatology prize of the Royal Meteoological Society for papers published in the last five years, also in 2002. I am recognised as one of the top 0.5% of highly-cited researchers in the Geosciences field by the ISI (the institute in the US that maintains the Web of Science, where publications and citations are monitored. I was made (2006) a fellow of the American Meteorological Society and was a awarded a Reviewer's Award by the American Geophysical Union (AGU) the same year. In 2009 I have also been made a fellow by the AGU.

Professor Phil Jones

Research Interests

Instrumental climate change; paleoclimate, particularly over the last 2000 years; riverflow reconstruction from longer rainfall records; weather generators.

Biography

I am the Director of the Climatic Research Unit (CRU) and a Professor in the School of Environmental Sciences at the University of East Anglia in Norwich. I am principally known for the time series of hemispheric and global surface temperatures, which I update on a monthly basis. I have numerous research papers over the last 25 years. I have been a fellow of the Royal Meteorological Society since 1992 and was on the Editorial Committee of the International Journal of Climatology until 1995. I am currently on the editorial board of Climatic Change. I am an elected member of Academia Europaea since 1998.

I was jointly awarded the Hugh Robert Mill Medal in 1995 by the Royal Meteorological Society for work on UK Rainfall Variability, and in 1997 the Outstanding Scientific Paper Award by the Environmental Research Laboratories / NOAA for being a coauthor on the paper "A search for Human Influences on the Thermal Structure of the Atmosphere," by Ben Santer et al. in Nature, 382, 39-46 (1996). More recently I was awarded the first Hans Oesschger Medal from the European Geophysical Society (now the European Geosciences Union) in 2002 and the International Journal of Climatology prize of the Royal Meteoological Society for papers published in the last five years, also in 2002. I am recognised as one of the top 0.5% of highly-cited researchers in the Geosciences field by the ISI (the institute in the US that maintains the Web of Science, where publications and citations are monitored. I was made (2006) a fellow of the American Meteorological Society and was a awarded a Reviewer's Award by the American Geophysical Union (AGU) the same year. In 2009 I have also been made a fellow by the AGU.

why did you leave out the part where he steps down while the fraud charges against him are investigated, hack?

Climate scientist at center of e-mail controversy to step down

:rofl:
what a loser

OK, here it is;

By Juliet Eilperin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, December 1, 2009 3:45 PM

A scientist who is one of the central figures in the controversy over hacked e-mails from the University of East Anglia's Climate Research Unit announced Tuesday that he is stepping down while the university investigates the incident.

Climate skeptics have seized on several e-mails from Phil Jones, director of the university's Climatic Research Unit, to other researchers as evidence that prominent scientists have sought to silence their voice in the debate over global warming. The e-mails were pirated and posted online last month.

"What is most important is that CRU continues its world leading research with as little interruption and diversion as possible," Jones said in a statement. "After a good deal of consideration I have decided that the best way to achieve this is by stepping aside from the Director's role during the course of the independent review and am grateful to the University for agreeing to this. The Review process will have my full support."

East Anglia's Vice-Chancellor Professor Edward Acton said he had "accepted Professor Jones's offer to stand aside during this period. It is an important step to ensure that CRU can continue to operate normally and the independent review can conduct its work into the allegations."

Action added the university will disclose details of the probe, including who will head it and how long it will last "within days."

Marc Morano, who edits the climate skeptic blog, ClimateDepot.com, welcomed the news with an e-mail stating, "One Down: ClimateGate Scientist Phil Jones to temporarily step down... 'pending investigation into allegations that he overstated case for man-made climate change.'"

Philip Jones made some intemperate comments concerning the peer review that allowed a very flawed paper to be published. He should simply have addressed the prominet errors in the paper, publically, and loudly.

Still, hardly worth the fight.

Philip Jones made some intemperate comments concerning the peer review that allowed a very flawed paper to be published. He should simply have addressed the prominet errors in the paper, publically, and loudly.

of course it is, you hack.
noticed you conveeeniently left out that mann is also being investigated by penn state in your little paean to him. you have less integrity than they do, which is really saying something.

how's your duodenum looking?

noticed you conveeeniently left out that mann is also being investigated by penn state in your little paean to him. you have less integrity than they do, which is really saying something.

Old Rocks isn't one of the smarter libs here...

In fact, he's recommending all women over 30 see their Geologist at least once a year...

;)

When this investigation turns up no wrongdoing and we are left with the information that someone stole his private emails and will be prosicuted for their crime what will these right wingnuts say?

I'm pretty sure there's nothing unusual about someone stepping down pending an investigation. but more than that, nothing i've seen has led me to the conclusion that climate change is some type of "fraud" like the loons are claiming.

more excuses to hate science for people who are already anti-science, IMO.

I wish the right was as concerned about the falsified evidence that took us to war in Iraq.

Professor Phil Jones

Research Interests

Biography

Dear Diary,

I’ve learned so much from the Global Warming Scientists, such as the Scientific Method:

1. State the Problem

2. Collect Data

3. Form a Hypothesis

4. Experimentation

5. Conclusion

6. Edit the Data to Conform to Conclusion

7. Lose any Data that doesn’t Fit the Conclusion

8. Prevent Alternative Data From Being Published

9. Have a Rubber Stamp Made: “Peer Reviewed”

10. Slander Opponents.

It’s so good to be with the right thinkers!

I'm pretty sure there's nothing unusual about someone stepping down pending an investigation.

Agreed, the fact that he has stepped down does not concern me. Better that heremove himself from the scene until the investigation is over.

but more than that, nothing i've seen has led me to the conclusion that climate change is some type of "fraud" like the loons are claiming.

I have no doubt that climate change is real. I have no doubt that it is also cyclical. I have no doubt that what we do has an effect on the climate. What I do question, and I think everyone should, is just how much of an effect do our actions actually have where climate change is concerned.

I think of all the changes the earth has endured over billions of years, then I listen to all the "Chicken Littles" shouting about the falling sky, and I wonder... If this planet survived billions of years of violent change, how's it not going to adjust now?

more excuses to hate science for people who are already anti-science, IMO.

I like science.

but, but, Phil agrees with Uncle Al.

I have no doubt that climate change is real. I have no doubt that it is also cyclical. I have no doubt that what we do has an effect on the climate. What I do question, and I think everyone should, is just how much of an effect do our actions actually have where climate change is concerned.

I agree... and I think it's clear that we can be more respectful of our environment and ecology and be conservationist in our thinking.

I think of all the changes the earth has endured over billions of years, then I listen to all the "Chicken Littles" shouting about the falling sky, and I wonder... If this planet survived billions of years of violent change, how's it not going to adjust now?

well, that's not quite a fair evalution. we weren't industrialized for billions of years and man wasn't able to impact his environment then like he can now. i also think that naming it "global warming" was a misnomer that gave a lot of creeps the opportunity to say "oh...look...it's snowing out" as a means of denying our impact on the climate. climate change was probably a more fair designation.

what i do know is that it's 54 fahrenheit in nyc on the 2nd day of December. that's pretty abnormal.

I like science.

I know, HJ. You weren't who I was thinking of when I said that. ;)

I do, too... which is why i have little patience for people who really, really want it to be false no matter what... whether it's evolution or climate change... or carbon dating... or universities in general and then think they should teach my child that the earth can't be destroyed by anything people do (which a lot of the radical religious righters believe) because G-d wouldn't have given us something we could break; or that creationism or ID is as valid a scientific a construct as evolution.

Last edited:
what i do know is that it's 54 fahrenheit in nyc on the 2nd day of December. that's pretty abnormal.
You cannot judge a global trend based upon the temperature of one city on one day. Pro-AGW and anti-AGW activists both do it, but it is wrong.

Hong Kong shivers in coldest November in more than 120 years

I do, too... which is why i have little patience for people who really, really want it to be false no matter what... whether it's evolution or climate change... or carbon dating... or universities in general and then think they should teach my child that the earth can't be destroyed by anything people do (which a lot of the radical religious righters believe) because G-d wouldn't have given us something we could break; or that creationism or ID is as valid a scientific a construct as evolution.
Fraud is far more dangerous to the scientific community than is any fundamentalist Luddite.

At worst, Luddites can reduce our funding through politics. In contrast, Phillip Jones' fraud threatens the very construct upon which all scientific truth is built. Subverting the peer review process is sacrilege, as any scientist will tell you.

The results of my own research for the past two years disproved my hypothesis, and so now I am out of a job. Would I go back and distort my results, to stay employed? No. This is the sacrifice scientists make. Phillip Jones sickens me.

As a scientist, you are beholden to the truth, no matter how politically inconvenient, no matter how much it contradicts your theory, no matter how painful it may be. There is no greater crime a scientist can commit against his profession than to distort and pervert the truth.

Last edited:
Phil Jones announced yesterday that he is temporarily leaving his post as head of the University of East Anglia’s Climatic Research Unit (CRU) pending the investigation into the controversial e-mails and documents that started ClimateGate.

Yet none of the broadcast network weekday morning and evening news shows addressed ClimateGate or the incriminating Jones development since the news broke yesterday. This marked 12 days since the information was first uncovered that they have ignored this global scandal.

NewsBusters.org | Exposing Liberal Media Bias

So OR are you telling us that Jones fits in with the long line of well educated and highly qualified crooks in the history of man rather than being of the more common criminal type?

Forum List

Back