Professor Loses Job for Saying Otto Warmbier Got 'What He Deserved'

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
Was she right or was she wrong?
Discuss

"is it wrong of me to think that Otto Warmbier got exactly what he deserved? He went to North Korea, for (expletive deleted) sake, and then acted like a spoiled, naive, arrogant, US college student who had never had to face the consequences of his actions. Otto is typical of the mindset of a lot of the young, white, rich, clueles (sic) males who come into my classes. These are the same kids who cry about their grades, because they didn't think they'd really have to read and study the material to get a good grade. They simply deserve a good grade for being who they are. Or instead of crying, they bluster and threaten their female professors."

He was dumb for going but didn't deserve what happened.

She should have been terminated

I am at a toss up here, she is a professor and knows what goes on in those classrooms and yea I know how bad NK is but to me she didn't really mean to say he desreved to die I don't think.

But then again your right she is a professor....

She was spot-on but insensitive in how she said it. She should have been reprimanded but not fired.
Spoiled Americans take their freedoms for granted and too many on the left think the US is the bad guy and every other country is good.

Let me guess, without reading, she thinks he was being reckless because he was sure his white privilege would get him out of any predicament.

Anyway, regardless of what she believes, the guy was stupid, but to say "he deserves to die" is over the top.

Now I think "she deserves" to be fired.

She's also a devout racist. Imagine saying some guy was a spoiled black kid and got what he deserved.

NOt the same thing, as black kids don't have the privileges that white people have in this country.

I do think those on the left gloating about this young man's death are disingenous. This kid did a dumb thing, but he didn't deserve to die for it. So did LaQuan McDonald. So did Sandra Bland.

We really don't have any business whinging about North Korea treating prisoners badly when we do a shitty job ourselves.

why is otto always called the student....this was not an enrichment trip this was an adventure trip and it was billed as that.....i understand the desire to be a world travel and people die daily for their quest for adventure...why is otto being immortalized for this?

Discuss

"is it wrong of me to think that Otto Warmbier got exactly what he deserved? He went to North Korea, for (expletive deleted) sake, and then acted like a spoiled, naive, arrogant, US college student who had never had to face the consequences of his actions. Otto is typical of the mindset of a lot of the young, white, rich, clueles (sic) males who come into my classes. These are the same kids who cry about their grades, because they didn't think they'd really have to read and study the material to get a good grade. They simply deserve a good grade for being who they are. Or instead of crying, they bluster and threaten their female professors."

She was right.

I don't know what kind of stupid a person has to be to think that going to NOKO for any reason is a good idea

why is otto always called the student....this was not an enrichment trip this was an adventure trip and it was billed as that.....i understand the desire to be a world travel and people die daily for their quest for adventure...why is otto being immortalized for this?
why was cecil the lion?
hamabree the gorilla?

social warriors pick strange causes.

Discuss
1) North Korea should be held responsible for Otto's severe punishment & ultimate death. Their savage leader should be eliminated.

2) The anthropology professor should NOT have been fired for her non-PC personal comments that were not directly related to her course teaching. Why should Tenured professors have more 1st Amendment rights??
Of course, her raw/insensitive comments should be challenged; that's what academia is all about!

3) Otto may have acted like a stupid frat boy, and his naivety about NKorea gave him a Darwin award, but he certainly did not deserve any severe punishment.

Discuss
1) North Korea should be held responsible for Otto's severe punishment & ultimate death. Their savage leader should be eliminated.

2) The anthropology professor should NOT have been fired for her non-PC personal comments that were not directly related to her course teaching. Why should Tenured professors have more 1st Amendment rights??
Of course, her raw/insensitive comments should be challenged; that's what academia is all about!

3) Otto may have acted like a stupid frat boy, and his naivety about NKorea gave him a Darwin award, but he certainly did not deserve any severe punishment.
She has 1st amendment rights and chose to exercise them but she has no right to no consequences. The government was not involved. She outed herself as a racist and probably did in class as well. But the college doesn't want to be associated with that kind of nonsense because they want to attract good people.

Kim's uncle didn't deserve to die by flame thrower either, deserving has nothing to do with it. People need to chose their vacation spots more wisely.

Discuss

She outed herself as a racist and probably did in class as well.
Huh? Why did you conclude that she's a "racist"?
I think her non-Otto comments were compelling, but her "deserving" comment about Otto was completely unjustified.
Her course-material teaching is another matter that should be taken much more seriously, academically.

Discuss

I think her non-Otto comments were compelling, but her "deserving" comment about Otto was completely unjustified.
Her course-material teaching is another matter that should be taken much more seriously, academically.

"Otto is typical of the mindset of a lot of the young, white, rich, clueles (sic) males who come into my classes."

The school is better off without racist world views.

Discuss

"Otto is typical of the mindset of a lot of the young, white, rich, clueles (sic) males who come into my classes."
That comment is not racist; it's an observation based on her experiences.
She is white herself, and did NOT advocate for differential or preferential treatment toward other races. In fact, she expressed the opposite, ie not allowing preferential treatment in the classroom or elsewhere.

Discuss

That comment is not racist; it's an observation based on her experiences.
She is white herself, and did NOT advocate for differential or preferential treatment toward other races. In fact, she expressed the opposite, ie not allowing preferential treatment in the classroom or elsewhere.
Sure it's racist. She made a derogatory comment based on his race. Most libs are, they see race before the person.

I don't know if she deserved to be fired, but in my opinion, if she has done nothing but complained about getting fired, then to me, she should just consider herself lucky that getting fired is the only thing that has happened to her. Would she like to be dead just like that boy is?

God bless you and his family always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back