PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
The Recorder Online
Central Conneticut State University

February 24, 2009

For CCSU student John Wahlberg, a class presentation on campus violence turned into a confrontation with the campus police due to a complaint by the professor.

On October 3, 2008, Wahlberg and two other classmates prepared to give an oral presentation for a Communication 140 class that was required to discuss a “relevant issue in the media”. Wahlberg and his group chose to discuss school violence due to recent events such as the Virginia Tech shootings that occurred in 2007.

Shortly after his professor, Paula Anderson, filed a complaint with the CCSU Police against her student. During the presentation Wahlberg made the point that if students were permitted to conceal carry guns on campus, the violence could have been stopped earlier in many of these cases. He also touched on the controversial idea of free gun zones on college campuses.

Professor Called Police After Student Presentation | CCSU Recorder

Question: Who do you think Paula Anderson voted for?

The Recorder Online

February 24, 2009

For CCSU student John Wahlberg, a class presentation on campus violence turned into a confrontation with the campus police due to a complaint by the professor.

On October 3, 2008, Wahlberg and two other classmates prepared to give an oral presentation for a Communication 140 class that was required to discuss a “relevant issue in the media”. Wahlberg and his group chose to discuss school violence due to recent events such as the Virginia Tech shootings that occurred in 2007.

Shortly after his professor, Paula Anderson, filed a complaint with the CCSU Police against her student. During the presentation Wahlberg made the point that if students were permitted to conceal carry guns on campus, the violence could have been stopped earlier in many of these cases. He also touched on the controversial idea of free gun zones on college campuses.

The more important question is: Who do you think Paula Anderson would call if the local McDonalds ran out of McNuggets?

The Recorder Online

February 24, 2009

There's something missing here. Why would the police call him in if there wasn't something credible to the complaint?

The Recorder Online

February 24, 2009

There's something missing here. Why would the police call him in if there wasn't something credible to the complaint?

It was the campus police. They were just following up on a complaint from a teacher.

It was the campus police. They were just following up on a complaint from a teacher.

Well, yeah I get that, but it seems like they took the whole "threat" thing pretty seriously. Just seems weird to me.

Well, yeah I get that, but it seems like they took the whole "threat" thing pretty seriously. Just seems weird to me.

The student evidently owns a lot of guns.

This simply doesn't make sense. I don't see where it states that the student said he was carrying a concealed weapon. He was arguing a point about how violence might be curtailed if students were allowed to carry. There didn't appear to be a threat involved.

If I argue that I should have the legal right to smoke pot in the U.S., it doesn't mean that I do smoke pot.

Students have to take sides in such classes and argue their points. It seems to me that the professor over stepped her bounds.

Immie

This simply doesn't make sense. I don't see where it states that the student said he was carrying a concealed weapon. He was arguing a point about how violence might be curtailed if students were allowed to carry. There didn't appear to be a threat involved.

If I argue that I should have the legal right to smoke pot in the U.S., it doesn't mean that I do smoke pot.

Students have to take sides in such classes and argue their points. It seems to me that the professor over stepped her bounds.

Immie

And this should surprise us how????

Immie

Ah, my friends, it seems that I will have to do a bit of illluminating here. When I read this article, it occurred to me that a Liberal would ruin this student's life, with a police arrest record, if possible, because he his not agree with her view about guns.

I felt that this was a perfect representation of all the liberal professors who would lower the grade of any student who did not toe the llb line.

Anyone else see that image?

Ah, my friends, it seems that I will have to do a bit of illluminating here. When I read this article, it occurred to me that a Liberal would ruin this student's life, with a police arrest record, if possible, because he his not agree with her view about guns.

I felt that this was a perfect representation of all the liberal professors who would lower the grade of any student who did not toe the llb line.

No, probably because it would be really stupid of her to make a public fuss and then under-grade the student.

Immie

It's sad to think that people would be that petty.

No, probably because it would be really stupid of her to make a public fuss and then under-grade the student.

To be clear, are you saying that liberal professors don't do this as a regular procedure? Or are you saying that someone might put the kibash on the procedure, like, say a liberal Chairperson, or a liberal Dean, or maybe, a liberal College President?

That's certainly possible. Liberals do take things rather personally. Since the President and his crew put together an orchestrated effort to slam the private citizen Rush Limbaugh, I wouldn't put anything past these Leftist wackos. I bet she's go a Che Guevara picture in her office next to Obama's.

To be clear, are you saying that liberal professors don't do this as a regular procedure? Or are you saying that someone might put the kibash on the procedure, like, say a liberal Chairperson, or a liberal Dean, or maybe, a liberal College President?

Couple of issues there so let me untangle them.

I don't subscribe to the ex-Trotskyist Horowitz' "biased leftist academic" school of thought. I know it's a favourite of Horowtiz' crowd to accuse some leftist teachers of being prejudiced against some students because of their ideology. So to answer your first question, which is not really a question but a statement inviting refuation or agreement, I'm not saying anything about whether or not any teacher deliberately and regularly undegrades students who disagree with their ideology, whether they be on the left or the right.

I merely pointed out that if a teacher were to deliberately falsely grade a student's work based on a dislike of the student's political ideology then they would be foolish to do so in the wake of the glare of publicity. And again, that covers all ideologies.

Couple of issues there so let me untangle them.

I don't subscribe to the ex-Trotskyist Horowitz' "biased leftist academic" school of thought. I know it's a favourite of Horowtiz' crowd to accuse some leftist teachers of being prejudiced against some students because of their ideology. So to answer your first question, which is not really a question but a statement inviting refuation or agreement, I'm not saying anything about whether or not any teacher deliberately and regularly undegrades students who disagree with their ideology, whether they be on the left or the right.

I merely pointed out that if a teacher were to deliberately falsely grade a student's work based on a dislike of the student's political ideology then they would be foolish to do so in the wake of the glare of publicity. And again, that covers all ideologies.

Although it is often fun jousting with you, I expect honesty at the least.

Why do “Leftist” Professors Predominate in Academia? « OPEN ANTHROPOLOGY

"From these professors, I learned one very dear lesson: don't try to argue with a jerk who has access to your grade point. Since I never was a grade hound, I didn't follow my own advice and have an undergrad GPA about a half-point lower than it could have been. "

Standing Up to Leftist Professors - Campus Watch

"the realities of college campus life, the censorship and outright thuggishness that now reigns at many places."
Leftist Faculty, Duke, and Campus Realities by William L. Anderson

I have to believe that you are aware of the fact that, especially in the social sciences, grading is subjective.

I expect you, rather than throwing in the usual pejoratives, to admit that the vast majority of instructors are left wing, and a palpable pressure is on students to succumb to same.

Grading is subjective of course, the point is to make it as objective as possible. The most objective form is - objective testing, the true/false, fill-in-the-blanks etc items. They're difficult to construct but dead easy to grade (heck even a computer can do it) and there are no arguments about interpretation (but the arguments are definitely in the construction, for example the distractors have to be carefully crafted so that they make the student discriminate between them and ensure that their knowledge leads to the correct answer and that there's no successful guess effect).

Essay assessment are easy to construct but difficult to grade objectively. That's why a marking guide or rubric is necessary. Ideally that guide should be moderated by someone who has subject matter expertise and is not the teacher. If that's agreed then the guide can be used. When the teacher grades the papers using the guide there should be further moderation by an independent subject matter expert. Only then should the grade be finalised. If that's not happening then of course there will be suspicions.

The point though is that many undergrad students aren't as clever as they think they are and when they get an essay back with some acidic comments they tend to get cranky.

Heck I know I did, I had an arrogant bastard of a philosophy professor, the prick went on to get promotion after promotion so he was probably good but he had a really nasty turn of phrase in feedback. :lol:

The leftists in acadaemia thing is a bit old. Sure there are. Read Malcolm Bradbury's "History Man" for a scathing portrayal, it's funny but it will make you cranky when you read it. But Bradbury knew of what he wrote.

But if you think only the left are capable of ideological bias then you need to open that eye you've got closed. Personally I think any teacher who grades on political ideology should be sacked, regardless of ideology. I just don't like Horowitz' approach but then once a Trot, always a Trot.

Forum List

Back